Around the NHL

40 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Wasnt there a story of Mike Smith at the draft where when it was the Jets turn they just randomly picked a name off a list of Russian players?  He was that determined to draft Russian. 

Sergei Bautin.

And it took a while before they got the name right. Bautin had a hit once that I remember then off to EDM.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

I know when they wasted a first round draft pick on Sergei Bautin, all the media experts were scrambling because on one had really heard of the guy before.

Yeaah, remember the name. Smith always looked like he had bedhead & slept in his clothes. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I know when they wasted a first round draft pick on Sergei Bautin, all the media experts were scrambling because on one had really heard of the guy before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_NHL_Entry_Draft

When I look at that 1992 draft there's a whole lot of "who the hell are these guys?" going on.  I don't really know who else Smith could have taken that would have been any better, other than Martin Straka and maybe Michael Peca, who went in the second round.  Good get in the ninth round though - Khabby!!

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Fergie was here for a lot longer than Chevy has been but Chevy definitely stacks up against Fergie's drafting, especially in the early rounds.

Kyte, Mann, Ryan Stewart, Elynuik, Marchment, Selanne, Lindgren, and Babych cover most of Fergie's 1st round picks.

The bolded are busts and there are a couple more that could be argued about too.

Also, Smith had a huge influence on the team because he scouted Europe. Selanne, Steen, Numminen, Zhamnov, etc... were scouted by Smith.

Edited by Ducky

Numminen and his wife Ann-Maarit have two daughters, Bianca and Erica, and one son, Niklas.

His brother, center Teemu Numminen (born December 23, 1973) was drafted 229th overall in the 1992 NHL Entry Draft by the Winnipeg Jets but he never made it to the NHL.

5 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Sergei Bautin.

And it took a while before they got the name right. Bautin had a hit once that I remember then off to EDM.

He was traded to Detroit and played a grand total of 1 game for them... then off to San Jose to play another total of 1 game then no more NHL career.... terrible draft pick.

Boris Mironov is who they picked in the 2nd round and he ended up going to Edmonton then Chicago and having a nice career.

49 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Numminen and his wife Ann-Maarit have two daughters, Bianca and Erica, and one son, Niklas.

His brother, center Teemu Numminen (born December 23, 1973) was drafted 229th overall in the 1992 NHL Entry Draft by the Winnipeg Jets but he never made it to the NHL.

I was living in Calgary in the 1990's and one day I am in Eau Claire (downtown Calgary) and a cab pulls up and Teppo Numminen and Keith Tkachuk get out.  I was in awe.  I just said "It's great to meet some Winnipeg Jets in Calgary!" and they both were so happy that someone in Calgary recognized them that they hung out with me while I walked around the mall with them.  One of the greatest " random meeting your sports heroes in public" days of my life.  

Teppo and I had a lot of fun bugging Tkachuk about the giant contract he had just signed, that was fun.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

37 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I was living in Calgary in the 1990's and one day I am in Eau Claire (downtown Calgary) and a cab pulls up and Teppo Numminen and Keith Tkachuk get out.  I was in awe.  I just said "It's great to meet some Winnipeg Jets in Calgary!" and they both were so happy that someone in Calgary recognized them that they hung out with me while I walked around the mall with them.  One of the greatest " random meeting your sports heroes in public" days of my life.  

Teppo and I had a lot of fun bugging Tkachuk about the giant contract he had just signed, that was fun.

Nice!  Teppo's probably my overall favourite Jet.  Loved how he played and always seemed like a good guy that enjoyed playing in Winnipeg.  Apparently was one of the Jets that took it the hardest when they moved to the desert, or maybe that's my wishful thinking :lol:.  No matter, wherever he played after leaving Winnipeg I always cheered for Teppo.  Hope he comes back for the Alumni game in October.

5 hours ago, Ducky said:

Half-brother to Brendan Taman.....true story........

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Tkachuk had a rep of not being the nicest guy so you caught him on a good day.

Their special teams weren't near as bad in 2014-2015 as 2015-2016.

I think they are doing the right thing by changing up the personnel on the PK.

#10 will always be my number one favorite Jet but Teppo was a great, unknown around the league, D man for the Jets. He never seemed to panic and knew where everyone and who everyone was on the ice.

Easily as smart as Enstrom (despite what some may think on here, Enstrom is a very intelligent player) with a not bad 6 or 6 one height. He played a lot of seasons in the league for a reason.

8 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Their special teams weren't near as bad in 2014-2015 as 2015-2016.

I think they are doing the right thing by changing up the personnel on the PK.

#10 will always be my number one favorite Jet but Teppo was a great, unknown around the league, D man for the Jets. He never seemed to panic and knew where everyone and who everyone was on the ice.

Easily as smart as Enstrom (despite what some may think on here, Enstrom is a very intelligent player) with a not bad 6 or 6 one height. He played a lot of seasons in the league for a reason.

Still remember Rod Black's famous line: "Teppo sets the tempo".  Ugh.

22 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Sergei Bautin.

Worst. Defenseman. Ever. Second place, imo, goes to Tim Watters, couldn't stand how he was constantly outmuscled off the puck . ugh. 

Mironov was okay though.  Remember Davydov?  He was what passed for "elite" here.  I remember a Hockey Night in Canada broadcast where he got checked into the boards and his face smashed against the TV camera.  Whatever happened to that guy??

EDIT: Didnt know this:  On January 4, 1987, Davydov was playing for the Soviet Union's team at the 1987 World Junior Championship. In the infamous Punch-up in Piestany, Davydov was identified as the player who jumped the boards and caused a bench-clearing brawl. Both teams were ejected from the tournament and Canada lost an assured medal.[1]

Edited by The Unknown Poster

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

They could not. Stamkos has no trade clause.

Which should not be allowed in a players final month of a contract but it is what it is.

Yeah we had this whole debate about it lol  So much for refusing to waive his NTC which would help the team because he wanted to win a championship in Tampa.  Well I guess he could still return if Tampa makes it deep.

Interesting article from Willie Mitchell of the Florida Panthers.  He is out with the 7th concussion of his career at the age of 38 (39 later this month).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/panthers-mitchell-talks-concussions-future-hockey/

He claims no one will speak publicly, but in the locker room, the players want the NHL to crack down and dish out more severe penalties to head shots.

Mitchell insists players want more protection from head injuries, and he says the NHL could help by issuing longer suspensions to those who deliver blows to the head.

“The league needs to do a better job,” Mitchell said. “Guys need protection.

“There’s a concern with players. Guys are worried about it. Guys talk about it – the league isn’t doing enough to protect the players,” Mitchell said. “A couple of years back, a 20-game suspension was a message. You’d be missing games, you get a big chunk of money taken from your pocket – a quarter of your (annual) salary gone. Those suspensions had gotten the game safer – still physical, still fast. Shanny (Brendan Shanahan, then the league’s chief disciplinarian) did a great job. But it’s not like that now.”

Of the 27 suspensions issued by the NHL this season for player-on-player hits, 26 were for five games or less. The exception, however, was a steep one for repeat offender Raffi Torres, who was slapped with a 41-game ban back on on Oct. 5 for a headshot on Jakob Silfverberg.

I'm all for harsher suspensions, but you have to wonder where the NHLPA stands on this.  It seems that almost any suspension that is more then 5 - 10 games is appealed.  

They chose (or Raffi chose) not to appeal the Torres suspension earlier this year for 41 games for a head shot.

Yet they appealed the Wideman hit on referee Don Henderson who is still out with a concussion.

Players want harsher discipline for this dirty stuff in the game, stop appealing suspensions.