Random News Items

I had a great post and lost it but Ill paraphrase.

You tend to do this in a lot of threads where your opinion is the correct one and whoever doesn't follow it is a racist or doesn't know what they're talking about or is just plain wrong.

People like you need to get off your high horse.

You've already lost the debate if you're going to break out rhetoric and nonsense like that. How often do you express your opinion and think its wrong? Where is the logic behind your statement that I express that my opinion is the correct one. ofcourse I think my opinion is correct. If I thought it was wrong it wouldnt be my opinion. But its still an OPINION.

You dont know me. Im not politically correct for political correctness sake. I suppose you are correct in that the N word is used a lot. I anxiously await when a major sport names a team the Las Vegas N'ers.

I tend to think teams like Blackhawks and Braves chose those names out of a sense of honor. I havent done the research. But to me, choosing those names was to imply the honor, courage, fighting spirt of the people.

Redskins? Come on. This isnt me saying Im right and you're a racist. Im subscribing to common sense and logic. And if you think thats me just dismissing your opinion, well all I can say is yes I think if you believe Redskin is a suitable and acceptable way to describe Aboriginal people, then you are wrong.

I think people on both sides (but mostly the ones who support the name) have formed opinions without doing some research. So a little paraphrased history:

Those against the term generally subscribe to the idea that "Redskin" refers to the scalped heads of Aboriginal people slaughtered by white men. But more often than not, this isnt the case (though I'd strongly assume the term *was* used in that context but not specifically). "Red Skin" originated with Aboriginals as a way to describe themselves to differentiate from "White Skins". So it was originally a benign term. Red Skin and White Skin used much like we'd say Black and White today without any negative racial connotations.

But then again, the N word was used in every day conversations in the 1800's and no one thought it was racist. It sure is now though isnt it? And thats the issue here. Its not what the word used to mean or what its intent is. If the original namers of the Washington Redskins intended the name as an honor of Aboriginal people, then great for them. But if a football team from 1890 was called the Tennesee N'ers, would that name still exist today? Ofcourse not. Not even a discussion.

Personally, in my experience (i have Aboriginal siblings, friends and ex'es) many Aboriginal people use the term "Indian" to describe themselves and others without negative connotation. But never have I heard them use the word Redskin.

I've never heard the term used, outside of sports, in a non-offensive way. Have you? Do you ever have conversations with people where you discuss "Redskins"? I doubt it. Why not? We both know why.

My opinion doesnt make me right. And you're assertion that I think Im right is not a reasonable counter argument.

Id agree with this.

Another example of being wrong unfortunately.

High horse. Hilarious. Much rather be right than ignorant.

Im wrong?  lol

Im metis, but ill say that TUP's point about ppl nothing being able to tell a name from a slur is right, but I think it more has to do with individuals and their life experiences. Most ppl having been victims of racism will usually be quick to go on the offensive. Those who havent can usually move past it or at least see what intent was behind it, whether it was malicious or not.

theres a page on fb called n8v beauties and its full of crap like native culture isnt a white girls costume. I notice it doesnt call out any other races but white ppl despite it been worn by all sorts. Most native ppl dont even care cuz they realize its halloween, I just shake my head ultimately cuz its now a racial issue

Im metis, but ill say that TUP's point about ppl nothing being able to tell a name from a slur is right, but I think it more has to do with individuals and their life experiences. Most ppl having been victims of racism will usually be quick to go on the offensive. Those who havent can usually move past it or at least see what intent was behind it, whether it was malicious or not.

theres a page on fb called n8v beauties and its full of crap like native culture isnt a white girls costume. I notice it doesnt call out any other races but white ppl despite it been worn by all sorts. Most native ppl dont even care cuz they realize its halloween, I just shake my head ultimately cuz its now a racial issue

Id bet thats not true at all.

i could go on a rant, but ill bet it is true. 

Bet you cant....  And why you wont. And even if you do it wont matter.

So far what your saying is incorrect so go on and talk.

The ones that feel or felt it shrug their shoulders to the crap. Its the young ones that will be offended by stupid people that continue they crap that will make the difference.

Its actual people like you that come out and say stupid **** like .. We cant never please the Natives or The Natives cant be pleased that cause the actual problems.

I dont give a **** what you are.

You come across as a weak person.

first off the "you cant win with the natives, because its all white man labels" was a tongue in cheek comment, but in a way not so sarcastic because I've heard ppl ***** about every name thrown out there, the funniest was hearing that some people dont like being called canadian. I wont get into why I know derogatory terms are more offense to people who've lived thru hate crimes because thats a long ass spiel but should be prettym obvious it hits closer to home with them.  True you dont have to be a victim of racism to take offense to slurs, but from the people I know its usually the ones whove been to cultural hell and back (residential schools) that appreciate their culture a hell of a lot more, take pride in their culture a hell of a lot more and stand up for it a hell of a lot more.  My friends my age who are the kids of these people, are proud of who they are and where they come from, but arent so easily rattled by what is usually harmless **** 

first off the "you cant win with the natives, because its all white man labels" was a tongue in cheek comment, but in a way not so sarcastic because I've heard ppl ***** about every name thrown out there, the funniest was hearing that some people dont like being called canadian. I wont get into why I know derogatory terms are more offense to people who've lived thru hate crimes because thats a long ass spiel but should be prettym obvious it hits closer to home with them.  True you dont have to be a victim of racism to take offense to slurs, but from the people I know its usually the ones whove been to cultural hell and back (residential schools) that appreciate their culture a hell of a lot more, take pride in their culture a hell of a lot more and stand up for it a hell of a lot more.  My friends my age who are the kids of these people, are proud of who they are and where they come from, but arent so easily rattled by what is usually harmless **** 

Your post is absolute garbage

Im sorry but you are wrong and your why race is a problem. 

lol yeah ok

lol yeah ok

Ill stand by my post

as will I, for the most part its over sensitive, politically correct warriors that make a mountain out of a bump. Is it justified? sometimes. But way to often things are being blown out of proportion and something like the washington redskins name is one of them. suck it up buttercup the name wasnt made to slander or insult anyone and anyone offended by it is likely just bitching for the sake of bitching

as will I, for the most part its over sensitive, politically correct warriors that make a mountain out of a bump. Is it justified? sometimes. But way to often things are being blown out of proportion and something like the washington redskins name is one of them. suck it up buttercup the name wasnt made to slander or insult anyone and anyone offended by it is likely just bitching for the sake of bitching

Shows me you think you have the right to say or call anyone anything and its all ok cuz well you just think so.

Forget politics and how about jus have respect for people.

Sorry, I was harsher then I had wanted to be in that post.  It was a bad day of reading other people's crap that they were trying to shove down other people's throats, and I lashed out at your post.  I'm going to just break away from this thread and post in fluffier threads to keep my head cooler.

what exactly did I call anyone? pointing out native people have complained about every name given to them at times including canadian is not made up. I do believe people have a freedom of speech, I dont agree with people using that freedom to cut people down, but I also think people need to be less butt hurt when it comes to certain things such as the washington redskin name. leave it to todays politically correct warrior to make something out of nothing. if it was so horrid it never would have gotten the ok or maintained this long

Isn't it sad that people can't agree on something like racism? Should be an easy one.

I've been around many uncomfortable discussions where usually white people come up with things like "yeah but...." To excuse racism. Yeah but they can say it and we can't. Year but they get money from the government. Year but they are all lazy. Yeah but I know one native guy and he likes the name. Year but I don't get free stuff. Goes on and on. And it's all subtle racism

One only need to look at the confederate flag debate to see that. Way too many people from small town Manitoba or winnipeg with their quad who think the flag represents *their* southern culture. Lol

Tjere can be debate around names like Braves etc. Those are not terms used as slurs Redskins has two uses.

1) a sports name

2) racial slur.

There isn't a debate about that is there? And if so please list every time you've ised Redskins in general conversation.

(CNN)The only reasonable explanation for the crash of a Russian passenger jet in Egypt is "an external influence," an executive from the airline that operated the flight said Monday, stressing that planes don't just break apart in midair.

Kogalymavia Flight 9268 broke into pieces before it hit the ground in a remote area of Egypt's restive Sinai Peninsula on Saturday, killing all 224 people on board.

The executive was not specific about what he meant by an external influence. Experts say it is too early to know for certain what caused the plane to break up at the start of what could be a lengthy investigation.

***I believe ISIS claimed responsibility immediately but Russia said it was not credible.  Why do commercial jets fly over war zones?