Manitoba Moose

Goalie

On 3/16/2024 at 9:38 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Man if the guy develops some skating ability. The ability to keep up. I’d bring him up vs teams like the wild for fun. He’s a beast. Not sure he’s lost a fight in his career honestly and there’s been several. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Any chance with his talent and grit we could add him to the Jets? I know they never rush rookies ( which is a good thing) but Mcgroarty looks like a beast...

Last time I saw a guy make that jump right into the playoffs was Keith Tkachuk in the 1992 playoffs against Vancouver, though he did play 17 games in the regular season first at least.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

On 2024-04-14 at 6:16 PM, bb1 said:

Any chance with his talent and grit we could add him to the Jets? I know they never rush rookies ( which is a good thing) but Mcgroarty looks like a beast...

After the Mike McIntyre puff piece, I just have this bad feeling he's going back to Uni.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

38 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

After the Mike McIntyre puff piece, I just have this bad feeling he's going back to Uni and thus the 2025 draft. 

My understanding of the draft rules is that as a US college eligible player aged 18, the team holds his draft rights until August 15 after he graduates from college, provided he does not leave school early. If he does, then they hold his rights until June 1,  4 years after his draft year. So the Jets should have his rights until 2026. Different rules than for CHL players (two years) and college players drafted at age 20 (two years). 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

8 hours ago, bb1 said:

Says he has a great relationship with the Jets including a lot of respect for management. Not sure how you read that he is not signing with the Jets eventually?

If he waits until next summer, he can sign anywhere as an FA. Even if he chooses the Jets, he's best off going the FA route. There will be a lot of teams hoping he makes it to summer '25 unsigned. 

26 minutes ago, JCon said:

If he waits until next summer, he can sign anywhere as an FA. Even if he chooses the Jets, he's best off going the FA route. There will be a lot of teams hoping he makes it to summer '25 unsigned. 

So apparently(did not know this) the 2 years to sign your draft pick rule is CHL related. NCAA picks are 3.

See you next year for more of the same.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

27 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

So apparently(did not know this) the 2 years to sign your draft pick rule is CHL related. NCAA picks are 3.

Oh, so he's still under control for his senior year? Yeah, then it's best if he goes back to Michigan next year. I thought the clock ran out next summer. 

16 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

15 hours ago, JCon said:

Oh, so he's still under control for his senior year? Yeah, then it's best if he goes back to Michigan next year. I thought the clock ran out next summer. 

Boy, I wish someone had posted this information somewhere, like maybe in this thread last Sunday at 9:40 pm. 😉

Snippet from the Athletic looks like no worries with Mcgroarty......

A league source tells The Athletic that this is not the expectation for McGroarty: McGroarty’s decision was made with his NHL development and an eventual Jets roster spot in mind.

The opportunity to increase his role as a third-year player in Michigan is clear; with fellow stars like Brindley, Duke and Nazar signing in the NHL, McGroarty will be counted on to drive results. There’s also the potential of being named captain as Jacob Truscott just completed his fourth year.

Meanwhile, Winnipeg is a deep team, particularly up front and on the wings. Sean Monahan and Tyler Toffoli are the only 2024 UFAs on the roster, which already leaves Cole Perfetti, the No. 10 pick in 2020, on the outside looking in. With fellow 2022 first-round pick Brad Lambert and 2021 second-round pick Nikita Chibrikov making big strides with Manitoba in the AHL this season, it’s difficult to look at the Jets roster and see immediate NHL playing time. Whereas Nazar has already played (and scored) in the NHL for Chicago and Brindley will make an immediate debut for Columbus, McGroarty doesn’t have that same runway in Winnipeg.