Manitoba Moose

Goalie

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

So Skyler McKenzie... didn't someone say he was a better version of Petan?   How come the guy isn't anywhere near a point a game like Petan was?

Illegal Curve had this to say, " #43 Skyler McKenzie – his usual self, speedy and tenacious, throwing all of his 165 pounds around, and generating scoring chances in limited ice-time. He scored goals in back-to-back games coming into today, and has 6 goals on the season. Mark these words, he will be a big offensive contributor for the Moose down the road. "

The one i was looking for was CJ Suess but he's still injured long term :(

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Who are we trading again? Ehlers or Kconn?

I think they can manage the cap to fit everyone they want.  Its definitely tight but if you look at their cap and assume a rising cap year over year, taking into account the Jets' big contracts coming due each year, they might be able to make it work.  Especially if Trouba goes.  

A quick & dirty look tells us they have almost $24 million in cap space next year.  Without factoring in a cap rise of $4 million+.

But they have Kulikov's deal expiring in 2021, Buff & Perreault in 2022 and by then you're only 2 years from Wheeler's big contract expiring as well.  So every year or so there is money being freed up.  If they can manage Connor & Laine appropriately (ie. put off some bigger years until other guys expire), they might be able to do it.  As it is, I could see Perrault going sooner, for sure.  

I predict they keep everyone we want them to keep.  Which might mean Perrauilt goes.  Maybe Trouba goes.  And maybe they can't keep a guy like Hayes but I'd expect them to always look to add a Hayes guy at the Deadline...so the team is good enough to be good all year and add an expiring contract at the deadline for the Playoffs.  They have enough youth and depth and prospects to do that for the foreseeable future I think.

20 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think they can manage the cap to fit everyone they want.  Its definitely tight but if you look at their cap and assume a rising cap year over year, taking into account the Jets' big contracts coming due each year, they might be able to make it work.  Especially if Trouba goes.  

A quick & dirty look tells us they have almost $24 million in cap space next year.  Without factoring in a cap rise of $4 million+.

But they have Kulikov's deal expiring in 2021, Buff & Perreault in 2022 and by then you're only 2 years from Wheeler's big contract expiring as well.  So every year or so there is money being freed up.  If they can manage Connor & Laine appropriately (ie. put off some bigger years until other guys expire), they might be able to do it.  As it is, I could see Perrault going sooner, for sure.  

I predict they keep everyone we want them to keep.  Which might mean Perrauilt goes.  Maybe Trouba goes.  And maybe they can't keep a guy like Hayes but I'd expect them to always look to add a Hayes guy at the Deadline...so the team is good enough to be good all year and add an expiring contract at the deadline for the Playoffs.  They have enough youth and depth and prospects to do that for the foreseeable future I think.

My comment was more about who are we trading to put Vas in top 6. Cause I see Ehlers, KConn, Wheeler and Laine :)

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

we can't keep trading our first round pick year in year out just for rentals, I don't see that being sustainable.

I still don't like the Lemieu throw-in... I think he'll be one of those plug and play guys that you want in your bottom 9

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

I still don't like the Lemieu throw-in... I think he'll be one of those plug and play guys that you want in your bottom 9

I suspect the Jets would have preferred to keep him but you gotta spend money to make money.  If they make it to the finals this year, it was worth it, right?  Wasnt there rumblings that Lemieux might have wanted a fresh start somewhere or am I conflating that with Petan?

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I suspect the Jets would have preferred to keep him but you gotta spend money to make money.  If they make it to the finals this year, it was worth it, right?  Wasnt there rumblings that Lemieux might have wanted a fresh start somewhere or am I conflating that with Petan?

Was Petan and or his agent. Still think KHL is his future.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Petan wanted a fresh start. Lemieux, by the sounds of things, was gutted to be traded. 

But, you can find a Lemieux type every summer via FA, if you want. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

How so? Connor is a much better player then Ehlers. 

Regardless of one's opinion of who is better, as of now we have Ehlers locked up on a long term cap friendly deal, while Connor could be in line for a big pay day that might affect other signings (Laine, Morrissey, Trouba, Myers, Roslovic, Tanev, Lowry, Copp). I don't personally want to see either player go, but the cap situation in today's game has as much to do with trading or keeping players as skill level does.

42 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Regardless of one's opinion of who is better, as of now we have Ehlers locked up on a long term cap friendly deal, while Connor could be in line for a big pay day that might affect other signings (Laine, Morrissey, Trouba, Myers, Roslovic, Tanev, Lowry, Copp). I don't personally want to see either player go, but the cap situation in today's game has as much to do with trading or keeping players as skill level does.

I think they'd try to lock term Connor if they can so that will be a pretty big contract.  Isnt he third...or second in goals scored over the last two seasons (they had the graphic up during last night's game).  Ehlers is #4 though.  Bridge Laine.  Probably trade Trouba.  Maybe trade Perreault if they need more space.  Possible Kulikov if he's not in their plans as he only has one year left.