Manitoba Moose

Goalie

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In relation to the WHL Ice story there is the Moose attendance stat by WFP's Mike McIntyre...

"The 4,114 average is down more than 1,000 fans a game from the 5,277 who attended last year. And more than 1,500 a game from the 5,656 who were there a season earlier. And more than 3,000 a game from the 7,285 who welcomed the AHL club back in 2015. That’s an alarming trend. "

14 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

In relation to the WHL Ice story there is the Moose attendance stat by WFP's Mike McIntyre...

"The 4,114 average is down more than 1,000 fans a game from the 5,277 who attended last year. And more than 1,500 a game from the 5,656 who were there a season earlier. And more than 3,000 a game from the 7,285 who welcomed the AHL club back in 2015. That’s an alarming trend. "

Do the Moose need to generate a profit? 

• 2 weeks later...

When the Moose returned the Jets were still a very hot ticket, and with the wait list, some fans saw a Moose season ticket as (a) the only alternative to see hockey, and (b) a way to get a leg up on other fans in the queue. But Jets tickets are much easier to come by now for the casual fan, and I know a bunch of Jets' season ticket holders who were stung by how expensive the playoff games were. I had one friend who sold one playoff game to basically fund the rest of the playoff series for herself, and then sold another  couple of playoff games to help afford this year's season tickets. And I have at least a dozen friends who are positing tickets for sale for this year's games to recoup the cost of last year's playoffs. In the past I might see two or three offers for tickets a year, this year I could get tickets to every single game quite easily through those channels (people who put up one or two games for sale are now putting up 10-15 games a year). The upshot is that as the Jets become more accessible, the Moose crowd prefer to go to a few Jets games rather than a season's worth of Moose games. I think adding a WHL team will either fail or sink the Moose. Don't see 3 hockey teams co-existing in Winnipeg.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

This discussion could probably be moved to the WHL Moves To Winnipeg thread, but an interesting note that I got from someone who works for that The Rink company, is that these guys actually went to TNSE and asked for their blessing before making the move to bring in the Dub team, so there is that, at least...

57 minutes ago, JCon said:

I could see the Moose moving to Saskatoon. TNSE could even make the announcement around their trip to Regina next year. 

Don't see it happening. The talk was they would stay here. The original plan was for Moose to play in.. I wanna say Thunder Bay.. Or similar but the arena deal fell through or got pushed back. Last i heard True North is happy with the Moose here... They get to watch the kids develop here.. Use the same rooms and facilities etc etc.. 

All this talk here... If anything the WHL team wont last.. But really how much do they need to draw to turn a profit. 

I thought TNSE did a poll not long ago asking about WHL interest and the responses weren't favorable. 

48 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I thought TNSE did a poll not long ago asking about WHL interest and the responses weren't favorable. 

Outside of hardcore hockey fans and "hockey" families ... I don't really think anyone else even knows what the WHL is.    

It's a niche audience that is very different from the Moose and I don't see why both can't succeed.   It's not like these teams need to draw 10 000 fans or anything.