2015-2016 training camp

Ducky

Well, Harrison on waivers.... 

and based on what we've heard with Raffl, heard a bunch of different things... so not sure exactly what that means. 

Raffl probably can and will accept a 2 way deal...

There is also the possibilty of them putting a guy on IR... Pardy being the most likely one... Maurice mentioned that Pardy had surgery in the off-season and still looked like he needed some time to recover, he could go to the IR. 

Ken Wiebe @WiebeSunSports

Looks like Jay Harrison has drawn the short straw for #NHLJets as @TSNBobMcKenzie says he's been placed on waivers

As expected.  He served us well.  Will be a good veteran edition on the Moose if he makes it.  He has value because Carolina is picking up part of his salary.

Regarding Raffl, he said he'd take a two-way, then Lawless reported he wouldnt, then it was because his club team wouldnt allow it, then it was reported he would.  So who knows.  But I like him.

Yeah I agree.  If he was 24, its a no-brainer.  But he's good enough he would have had other offers.  For what he brings Im surprised the Flyers didnt offer him a PTO.

Surprised if it's Ladd-Little-Wheeler and not Wheeler with Scheif.  Though Scheif has looked good.  He might be the Jets leading scorer this year.

Did you watch any games? Petan is a wizard on the ICE, he was probably one of our best players... that Penticton tournament, it's a good idea but.. in reality, it means absolutely nothing in the big picture. It's basically just to get the rust off, It really means nothing. 

Petan was one of the Jets best players in the pre-season, he's gonna probably start with Ladd and Little on the top line, that's where he's played the last couple games and has not looked out of place at all. 

Calling it a tournament is also somewhat of a joke as their is no winner of the tournament, there is no trophy given out... Penticton is a good concept but.. it truly means nothing at all.

Basically, like i said, it's to get the rust off and for some of them to get ready for the main camp... don't get hurt is the main thing, the rest is just irrelevant really. 

I watched Petan at the World Juniors (where he did well), in the playoffs against Kelowna (where he was the best player on the ice by far), and in Penticton (where he dogged it big time).  I agree he's good with the puck, but how's his defence?  I also think he's a bit small for the NHL (yeah I've heard of Johnny Hockey and Tyler Johnson).  I honestly thought he'd need a year in the AHL to adjust to the bigs.  But that being said, if he's ready to make the jump, and can contribute, then great.  The Jets need more skill.  They'll need size too to compete in their division, and with Burmi, Perrault and Petan, they are a lot smaller.

Not sure i really agree with that, Chicago isn't a huge team, Minny isn't either... Nashville? Not really, Colorado is built on speed, St Louis? maybe but they have some issues of their own... Size is somewhat over rated, it's how you play, Peluso is a big guy but... i wouldn't want him on the ice for more than 5 minutes a game... Perreault isn't a big guy but... he knows how to position himself and he's strong on the puck... Petan looked the same really, not a big guy at all but... puck possesion and hockey IQ go a long way... 

When you think about it...

Ehlers,Petan,Copp (let's just throw him in there),Burmi

They are replacing Frolik, not exactly known to be the toughest or biggest guy, just strong on the puck, good defenisvely...

Stempniak, not a big guy at all... Tlusty, again not a big guy at all, Slater... sure he banged some bodies but that's because he was chasing after the puck lots when he was on the ice...

It's all about puck possession and these fancy stats that i don't really care about too much... i still think the eye test is the best way to judge a player but... if you actually look at fancy stats like puck possession for example, Jets were top 5 last year... They had the puck more than they didn't for the most part... You add some skill to the lineup and hockey IQ and I wouldnt' be surprised if they were top 5 again this year. 

Guess he's on the 4th line to start... could be argued that 4th line was one of the best lines in a few games this pre-season

Petan,Copp,Thorburn to start it looks like but... Wouldn't be surprised to see Petan move up the line up really soon. 

Lipon has been sent to the Moose, but Maurice had this to say about him.  Love these types of players when they are on your team.   He will probably get a call up at some point this season.  Definitely made an impression in camp.

I think this will be the starting lineup...

Ladd Little Wheeler

Perrault Scheifele Ehlers

Burmistrov Lowry Stafford

Petan Copp Thorbs

Enstrom Myers Buff Chiarot Trouba Stuart

Pavs Hutch

Don't like Perreault with sheif ehlers need someone to look out for those 2. Burmi in the 3rd is a waste too need a scorer there.But in a couple of games this will all shake loose.Im confident that Maurice will have the right combos going soon enough.

So with the Jets about to open their 5th season, thought it would be fun to go back and see what our roster was to open the inaugural season.   Not 100% sure on line combos but I believe the roster looked something like this:

Forwards

Ladd   Little   Wheeler

Kane   Scheifele   Wellwood    (Scheifele was on his 9 game tryout before being sent down)

Burmistrov   Antropov   MacLean     (That is Brett MacLean for those of you who don't remember him)

Glass   Slater   Thorburn

13th Forward:  Tim Stapleton  (Fehr was on IR)

Defense

Enstrom  Byfuglien

Stuart   Bogosian

Oduya  Hainsey

7th & 8th D:   Randy Jones & Derek Meech

Goalies

Pavelec

Mason

TSN consensus has the Jets finishing 6th in the Central this year. Not sure I agree with that but... it means nothing

Yea F tsn. Front page of TSN Web page the Leafs send down Nylander and Brown who gives a ****?Toronto sports network.

TSN consensus has the Jets finishing 6th in the Central this year. Not sure I agree with that but... it means nothing

Yea F tsn. Front page of TSN Web page the Leafs send down Nylander and Brown who gives a ****?Toronto sports network.

Pretty much my thoughts too.

Did you watch any games? Petan is a wizard on the ICE, he was probably one of our best players... that Penticton tournament, it's a good idea but.. in reality, it means absolutely nothing in the big picture. It's basically just to get the rust off, It really means nothing. 

Petan was one of the Jets best players in the pre-season, he's gonna probably start with Ladd and Little on the top line, that's where he's played the last couple games and has not looked out of place at all. 

Calling it a tournament is also somewhat of a joke as their is no winner of the tournament, there is no trophy given out... Penticton is a good concept but.. it truly means nothing at all.

Basically, like i said, it's to get the rust off and for some of them to get ready for the main camp... don't get hurt is the main thing, the rest is just irrelevant really. 

I watched Petan at the World Juniors (where he did well), in the playoffs against Kelowna (where he was the best player on the ice by far), and in Penticton (where he dogged it big time).  I agree he's good with the puck, but how's his defence?  I also think he's a bit small for the NHL (yeah I've heard of Johnny Hockey and Tyler Johnson).  I honestly thought he'd need a year in the AHL to adjust to the bigs.  But that being said, if he's ready to make the jump, and can contribute, then great.  The Jets need more skill.  They'll need size too to compete in their division, and with Burmi, Perrault and Petan, they are a lot smaller.

They're replacing Stemp and Tlutsy. Not much dif in size, but a lot in skill. (Copp/Petan)

You think Burmi will be the 13th?

Maurice will play Lipon in front of Burmi????? not a chance.

What happens with Peluso?

Harrison, Postma, Pardy?????????

What does Burmi bring? He is not a scorer and not a great passer.He is strong on his skates but is not overly physical just like Goalie stated he is an East to West player.JC is a fireplug agitator type player.Petan has great vision and skills.Based on the preseason I don't see how you justify starting Burmi ahead of these guys.But it will probably come down to who they could lose if waived.Burmi better get his ass in gear when the bullets fly though cause Maurice won't put up with his crap.

Burmi played the last 2 yrs in the KHL, as a defensive forward. That's the side of his game Mo likes. I bet he'll be fine in that role.