Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

What they say is more important than how they say it.  Or it should be. 

So why are you making an issue out of Trudeau's delivery?

I'm not.  Someone else mentioned his speech and I expressed my opinion.  Im sorry, are we only expressing certain opinions here?

Speaking of being disingenuous, your "who, me?" act is getting old.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  I love it!!!  Ive been told some people dislike me because of my strong posts.  Now Im disliked for being moderate.  What sort of people get so personally bent out of shape over message board discussions!  Ha!  The election is over boys, put away the claws!

Sure are a few people here with a bone to pick this morning.  My fan club grows!

What a strange response. Disliked for being moderate? How did you come up with that theory?

My theory? You don't understand what disingenuous means, so you created your own definition that would allow your response to make sense.

I was using the definition or synonym if you will, that describes one as insincere.  That was evident in the context.  Sorry you had trouble with that.

I'm not.  Someone else mentioned his speech and I expressed my opinion.  Im sorry, are we only expressing certain opinions here?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  I love it!!!  Ive been told some people dislike me because of my strong posts.  Now Im disliked for being moderate.  What sort of people get so personally bent out of shape over message board discussions!  Ha!  The election is over boys, put away the claws!

Sure are a few people here with a bone to pick this morning.  My fan club grows!

What a strange response. Disliked for being moderate? How did you come up with that theory?

My theory? You don't understand what disingenuous means, so you created your own definition that would allow your response to make sense.

In other words, you werent able to explain your "who, me" remark.

With a 5 party system it's near  impossible for 1 party to get 50% plus in a general election. 

Exactly.  But apparently if that one party is the Conservatives, they need over 50% or the election isn't fair.  For some reason no other party is held to this standard, and its mystifying why that is (not really actually).

I was using the definition or synonym if you will, that describes one as insincere.  That was evident in the context.  Sorry you had trouble with that.

Well, for a guy telling others to chill as the election is over, aren't you stressing out? Follow your own advice, then. BTW, I said quit whining. I didn't call you a whiner, @$$hole, idiot, jerk or anything else.

Well, for a guy telling others to chill as the election is over, aren't you stressing out? Follow your own advice, then. BTW, I said quit whining. I didn't call you a whiner, idiot, @$$hole, ****, jerk or anything else.

In what way am I stressing out.  Please provide examples. 

Wouldnt someone who is whining be a whiner?  Please explain the distinction.

Very impressed with Justin's demeanour, he is not like his fiery dad at all.

He seems calm, kind, and decent.

went to the subway to meet people today, after becoming PM last night. 

like that a lot.

I find him smug and disingenuous.  Maybe it's his acting background but he always seems to be putting on a bad performance.  I thought his victory speech was very smug and while Harper and Mulcair were gracious in defeat, he took some veiled shots.  Maybe its just the way he is and he's being genuine.  But he doesnt come across that way to me at all.

And its not my bias talking as I thought Mulcair had done a good job of putting the Angry Tom stuff behind him and was pretty genuine in his speeches and I would never vote for him.  Trudeau reminds me a bit of of Obama except Obama is a much better public speaker.  But they both ran on "change" and little else.  A winning strategy no doubt.

Angry Tom would have come back had he been elected PM, don't you kid yourself. He's my age & you just don't change at that point in your life with the snap of the fingers.

e has a temper & if elected he wouldn't have cared.

I dont disagree.  Im no Tom fan.  Just that I thought he did a good enough job of coming across statesmanlike and sincere.  Or sincere enough.  And I've always thought Harper delivers good speeches.  CTV briefly mentioned this while Harper was entering for his concession speech that he's very good with the media and it perplexes people why he is so standoffish with the,

But Trudeau?  Its like bad Shakespeare in the Park.  My opinion, but just seems like a guy putting on an act and not doing a very good job of it.

So, you think Trudeau is disingenuos but Mulcair not? You already said that you think the NDP did a good job of trying to change Mulcair's image from that of an angry old man to that of a caring & compassionate leader which isn't true. That's why in the past few weeks seeing his ad where Mulcair's talking softly, smiling & saying he's ready for change if we are came.  across as so phony. He looked uncomfortable talking & acting that way because that isn't him..

I voted Conservative in my riding & have always voted that way since the 74 election when I was 18, be it the Tories, Reform, Canadian Alliance & Cons. Even though I was drinking my blue kool aid I could see that Captain Steve O going down with his ship.The Cons election campaign strategy was an unmitigated didaster. Of all the ads shown by the 3 major parties, Trudeau came across the best. His "I'll tell you what I'm ready for" ad sounded the most sincere of all of the political ads combined that I saw. It was hokey but Trudeau looked like he had a chip on his shoulder thanks to the incessant Cons attack ad of him.

Not happy the Cons are out but it is what it is. But My God man, quit the whining & just get on with your life. You constantly post about how much you hate Trudeau & give the man no credit at all. Run for public office then in 4 years for the Cons & give your words some meaning. Put your money where your mouth is. . 

Are you suggesting someone cannot have an opinion that is counter to the governments (or yours) unless they are willing to run for office?

Have you every been critical of the Bombers' coaches?  If so, have you considered becoming a pro football head coach?  If not, you cant criticize.

Who is whining?  Expressing opinion here is whining?  I never said one thing about the Cons losing the election.  Get on with my life?  Who are you to tell me that?  Get over yourself.  Im sorry you and I disagree (I guess) but posting here is neither me whining nor is it some evidence that my life is on hold because the Liberals won.

Please, assemble my posts where I have repeatedly stated how much I hate Trudeau.  Please do that.

And again, why is opinion of Trudeau related to opinion of Mulcair?  If I think Mulcair is a more genuine speaker, why cant I also think Trudeau is not?

Its called opinion.  Try expressing yours without needlessly attacking other posters.

Attacking? LOL!  That's all you do.  People who live in glass houses first of all shouldn't criticize others & secondly should not throw stones. 

Please list examples.

Yes, I'm guilty as charged for the crime of having an opinion. For that I am being sentenced to death by hanging. There's the gallows. Throw the lever & drop the floor. Let me hang until dead. Yea, though I walk through the Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I fear no evil. Thy rod & thy staff, they comfort me. I'm entitled to one last dinner of choice, prime rib on the barbecue. Also a cigarette & whiskey on the rocks before my execution. I also have but one last simple request... I have a letter in my back pocket for my family. Please make sure they get it & tell them... I loved them..

And...I lived to see another day. Maybe you should ask for clemency. And for the record, I wasn't attacking you. I was responding about what you said about Trudeau & Mulcair. You constantly say the same things over & over & over & it comes across as whining. That Harper & the Cons can do no wrong. Well, this past election they did a lot of things wrong. You  may not agree about the whining part but that's the perception of you I get. Guess the bottom line for you & me is if we can't stand the heat then don't post. 

That's the difference though.  I can stand the heat.  And I dont go off attacking posters.  You said I was whining, told me to get a life and move on.  And let's be clear, that was responding to my post about Trudeau and Mulcair which was not me saying the same thing over and over since I believe today is the only time I mentioned my feeling that Trudeay was smug and disingenuous.

So yes, that was an attack on me, not a reasonable, polite counter point to my opinion. 

whine
(h)wīn/
verb

gigive or make a long, high-pitched complaining cry or sound.
"tt
complain in a feeble or petulant way.

Neither the first nor the second.  In fact, complaining about my post might fall into the second.  But I wont hold it against you.  I think you have the bad habit of seeing differing opinions and taking them personally or not being able to see the merit or at least understand the perspective of that opinion, which causes you to lash out.

When I was in Junior High, taking debate our teacher insisted we debate both sides saying we cant learn to argue our opinion if we cant successfully argue the opposing perception.  I think I see all sides a lot better than many here.  But I do have strong opinions.  But I do not attack people.  How many people in this thread have complained to a Mod about someone else?  Not me.  How many people in this thread have had posts deleted?  Not me, other than when I quoted someone who was deleted (mods can correct me if I am wrong on that point).

This is a community not a battle ground. 

If you're offering up an apology, Ill readily accept it.

Not likely. But nice try.

Well, for a guy telling others to chill as the election is over, aren't you stressing out? Follow your own advice, then. BTW, I said quit whining. I didn't call you a whiner, idiot, @$$hole, ****, jerk or anything else.

In what way am I stressing out.  Please provide examples. 

Wouldnt someone who is whining be a whiner?  Please explain the distinction.

The distinction is I didn't call you one.

The distinction is I didn't call you one.

Be careful backtracking, wouldnt want you to fall over.

Were you able to find some example of me stressing out?  Or can I add that to your list of forthcoming apologies (I assume you are penning a masterpiece to the previous apology which is what is taking so long).

Anyways dude, like I said you're telling others to relax as the election is over yet you carry on like it's still full election mode. So please, please follow your advice & do the same.

*looks around to confirm Im not the only one still posting in the election thread*.  Yup, Iso gonna Iso.

Please explain how you'd like me to follow my own advice.  Are you suggesting that I should not take part in the election thread while you and others do?  Im not sure that makes sense.  Please explain. 

I accept your apology. In your bid to be as aggressive as possible, you don't always present a well thought-out argument. 

As others have said, the disingenuity (foxiness was my favourite synonym for this) comes from your ability to act surprised when people call you out for diparaging posts. While you may not always be well informed, you don't strike me as a stupid person. I highly doubt you do this by accident.

I was using the definition or synonym if you will, that describes one as insincere. That was evident in the context. Sorry you had trouble with that.

I accept your apology. In your bid to be as aggressive as possible, you don't always present a well thought-out argument.

As others have said, the disingenuity (foxiness was my favourite synonym for this) comes from your ability to act surprised when people call you out for diparaging posts. While you may not always be well informed, you don't strike me as a stupid person. I highly doubt you do this by accident.

You don't understand what aggresive means of you perceive my posts as aggresive. But as they say perception is reality even if your perception is wrong.

Which disparaging posts. Please provide examples.

I don't know who wrote this, but it is kind of funny...

Thank goodness we got our country back. Because apparently, Prime Minister Stephen Harper stole it from us and he was refusing to give it back.

I'm not sure how he managed to swipe it exactly, whether it was through lowering the tax burden on Canadians or transferring record levels of funding to the provinces for health care and social services.

Maybe he stole it when he created tax-free savings accounts for Canadians who wanted something other than restrictive RRSPs to save for the future. Perhaps it was when he allowed families and seniors to split their incomes for tax purposes to save money.

It could be that Stephen Harper stole Canada from us when he brought in tougher penalties for criminals who commit serious offences like child sexual abuse or who use firearms when committing a crime. That could be it.

Or maybe it happened when he issued a formal apology to victims of residential schools, brought in new programs to address violence against aboriginal women and ensured First Nations people have the same legal right to review their local government's finances that other levels of government do.

I never really thought that when Stephen Harper reduced the GST to 5% from 7% -- which has saved me hundreds of dollars over the years -- that he was actually stealing my country by allowing me to keep more of my own money. But his political opponents insist he was. So it must be true. Stephen Harper stole our country right from under our noses and I didn't even notice. Go figure.

But all's well that ends well. We have our country back again. Phew.

Canada is now in the trusted hands of Justin Trudeau. We know he won't steal Canada from us. OK, so the rookie Liberal leader doesn't have much life experience. In fact, he really has no experience running anything at all. He has no grasp of the complex issues facing any prime minister. And he has trouble speaking about political matters unless they're written for him in a script.

But so what? As long as he doesn't steal our country from us like Stephen Harper did we can all sleep soundly at night.

Hope prevailed over fear. That's what this election was all about, right? Our prime minister stole our country from us and deliberately promoted hatred and fear? That's what Canadians were led to believe. Or at least that's was Justin Trudeau's message was. And apparently it worked.

Whatever the case, I'm glad we have our country back, I really am. I didn't know Harper had stolen it. But I'm glad we have it back all the same.

And I look forward to life again knowing our country has been returned to its rightful owner. No more divisive policies coming out of Ottawa; happy provincial premiers holding hands with Canada's prime minister singing Kumbaya; no more Supreme Court of Canada challenges of our criminal laws; and no more accusations of racism against the federal government.

The best part about this is that if Trudeau falls short, including a failure to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, settle land claims with First Nations, reduce child poverty or "save" Canada's medicare system, it won't mean a return of hatred and fear over hope.

Only a Conservative leader could be responsible for that. Or at least that's how it's interpreted in Canadian political culture.

It will simply mean that a warm and fuzzy Trudeau had his heart in the right place and that he did the best he could. After all, he gave us our country back. What more could we ask for?

I don't know who wrote this, but it is kind of funny...

Thank goodness we got our country back. Because apparently, Prime Minister Stephen Harper stole it from us and he was refusing to give it back.

I'm not sure how he managed to swipe it exactly, whether it was through lowering the tax burden on Canadians or transferring record levels of funding to the provinces for health care and social services.

Maybe he stole it when he created tax-free savings accounts for Canadians who wanted something other than restrictive RRSPs to save for the future. Perhaps it was when he allowed families and seniors to split their incomes for tax purposes to save money.

It could be that Stephen Harper stole Canada from us when he brought in tougher penalties for criminals who commit serious offences like child sexual abuse or who use firearms when committing a crime. That could be it.

Or maybe it happened when he issued a formal apology to victims of residential schools, brought in new programs to address violence against aboriginal women and ensured First Nations people have the same legal right to review their local government's finances that other levels of government do.

I never really thought that when Stephen Harper reduced the GST to 5% from 7% -- which has saved me hundreds of dollars over the years -- that he was actually stealing my country by allowing me to keep more of my own money. But his political opponents insist he was. So it must be true. Stephen Harper stole our country right from under our noses and I didn't even notice. Go figure.

But all's well that ends well. We have our country back again. Phew.

Canada is now in the trusted hands of Justin Trudeau. We know he won't steal Canada from us. OK, so the rookie Liberal leader doesn't have much life experience. In fact, he really has no experience running anything at all. He has no grasp of the complex issues facing any prime minister. And he has trouble speaking about political matters unless they're written for him in a script.

But so what? As long as he doesn't steal our country from us like Stephen Harper did we can all sleep soundly at night.

Hope prevailed over fear. That's what this election was all about, right? Our prime minister stole our country from us and deliberately promoted hatred and fear? That's what Canadians were led to believe. Or at least that's was Justin Trudeau's message was. And apparently it worked.

Whatever the case, I'm glad we have our country back, I really am. I didn't know Harper had stolen it. But I'm glad we have it back all the same.

And I look forward to life again knowing our country has been returned to its rightful owner. No more divisive policies coming out of Ottawa; happy provincial premiers holding hands with Canada's prime minister singing Kumbaya; no more Supreme Court of Canada challenges of our criminal laws; and no more accusations of racism against the federal government.

The best part about this is that if Trudeau falls short, including a failure to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, settle land claims with First Nations, reduce child poverty or "save" Canada's medicare system, it won't mean a return of hatred and fear over hope.

Only a Conservative leader could be responsible for that. Or at least that's how it's interpreted in Canadian political culture.

It will simply mean that a warm and fuzzy Trudeau had his heart in the right place and that he did the best he could. After all, he gave us our country back. What more could we ask for?

Tom Broadbeck wrote that I believe.

In case anyone arguing with TUP hasn't figured this out yet... this will go on forever.  This is his internet forum style, and has been for years.  It's probably better for everyone involved to just agree to disagree and move on.

I'm not arguing with him, I'm explaining to him. Point taken though.

Noeller has shamed us petty squabblers for derailing a 90 page thread, so I'll gracefully exit the fray. 

*last word*

With the election over, I say we lock this thread and just have a generic "Canadian Politics" one that you guys can derail into petty personal squabbles...

Of these guys could knock off the petty personal squabbles. Discussion is good. Nonsense isn't.

Here's your example of "who, me?"

How so. Please provide examples. I was suggesting the end do squabbles. Would you prefer to squabble? That's weird