Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

Why does Harper have to go?

Usually these threads turn nasty. The majority of anti Haroer sentiment still seems empty personal attacks or based on some strange belief he is a crazy agenda he's waiting to unleash.

Canada continues to ranked highly on the world stage. Last thing we need now is the old "change" routine for no legitimate reason.

Canada is doing well and I see no reason to change governments.

The ndp would cripple us financially and Trudeau is not a leader nor can he be trusted.

Harper is the best option. Strong leader.

The Cons will win again, for the same reason the Libs won all those majorities in the 90's.

Well the Libs really had no competition in the 90's, That and they balanced the books and the economy was Web 1.0

After Quebec 4 years ago and Alberta this year I can see the NDP winning. Okay so im looking at the polls too.

Would mean a major shift towards younger voters.

The Cons will win again, for the same reason the Libs won all those majorities in the 90's.

Well the Libs really had no competition in the 90's, That and they balanced the books and the economy was Web 1.0

After Quebec 4 years ago and Alberta this year I can see the NDP winning. Okay so im looking at the polls too.

Do you really think the Cons have legitimate competition?  I think the most change we can expect is a Con minority.

The reasons the NDP won so many seats last time are worth considering:

1. Jack Layton

2. People in Quebec not even paying attention to who the candidates actually were

3. The Liberal collapse

Two or even three of those factors are no longer in play.

Do you really think the Cons have legitimate competition?  I think the most change we can expect is a Con minority.

The reasons the NDP won so many seats last time are worth considering:

1. Jack Layton

2. People in Quebec not even paying attention to who the candidates actually were

3. The Liberal collapse

Two or even three of those factors are no longer in play.

I'd say there's been a Liberal collapse lately. All someone has to do is say Cons vs NDP and you got the remaining votes.

I saw a Post online from a minor celebrity demanding Harper's ouster. Went on about his scary policies and HIW hes destroying democracy. Someone replied saying the opposition partoes scare him and the guy replied the irrational fear of the opposition is part of Harper's game

I thought that summed it al up perfectly. Fear of Harper is reasonable and expected. Even after 10+ years. But fear of the opposition is irrational. Lol

I thought that summed it al up perfectly.

Fear of Harper is reasonable and expected. Even after 10+ years. But fear of the opposition is irrational. Lol

LOL?

That quote is exactly right. Especially with what we know of Harper for 10+ years.

We know what Harper has done...and people still want to vote for him?

That is what is irrational.

^^^^ lol

Listen if you hve an irrational fear of Harper so be it. But the point is the left always thinks it's not a matter of opinion. They feel they are right and everyone else is wronf. Hence the idea that it's okay to fear big bad scary Harper but it's crazy to fear the policies of the NDP. Can't have it both ways.

The fearmongering about Harper that he had a secret agenda didn't work. So now it's just a message of "he has to go!" With little reasoning.

Country is in good shape. You can disagree. That's why we have elections. Despite what the left thinks, it's still a democracy.

NDP taking the first heat of the campaign.

I'd like to see more written about the cost of the NDP's promises. I'll give you two: National Day care and increasing foreign aid. They say day care will be 5 billion a year. Let's accept that for now. To increase foreign aid to .7% of GDP is another 9.3 billion. That is an increase of 14.3 billion in spending on only two promises. Where does that $ come from?

Justin-As-Leader aside, I feel like the Libs probably have the best financial plan going forward, which means the most to me at this point in our nation's recession. I don't hate the CPC as much as I hate Harper-As-Leader, and wanna see his Senate selections bite him in the ass hard during the campaign.

I'd like to see more written about the cost of the NDP's promises. I'll give you two: National Day care and increasing foreign aid. They say day care will be 5 billion a year. Let's accept that for now. To increase foreign aid to .7% of GDP is another 9.3 billion. That is an increase of 14.3 billion in spending on only two promises. Where does that $ come from?

This is exactly why it's mind blowing that anyone thinks the NDP would be could economic managers. I guess when you hve no problem raising taxes it's easy to pay for everything.

This is exactly why it's mind blowing that anyone thinks the NDP would be could economic managers. I guess when you hve no problem raising taxes it's easy to pay for everything.

Depends - I think someone like Gary Doer would make a good Prime Minister. Jack Layton with some decent cabinet ministers would've had potential.

Depends - I think someone like Gary Doer would make a good Prime Minister. Jack Layton with some decent cabinet ministers would've had potential.

Exactly the reason Harper gave Doer the US gig. He would roll as a Nat'l NDP leader who brought the party closer to the middle...

Same as the increase in child-care...from the deficit pile.

Same as the increase in child-care...from the deficit pile.

6% GST here we come

6% GST here we come

I've disagreed with a lot of Harper's policies over the years, but on the whole I still think he was the better choice than who he was up against in 2011. I think Jack Layton should have disclosed he was dying, as it would have affected the polls significantly, and it should have. If he had disclosed that there was a good chance he wasn't going to be around within six months after the election the NDP might have been spanked down a lot, especially in Quebec.

Anyway, that aside, one of the worst moves Harper made in my opinion was lowering the GST. If he had kept it at 7% instead of 5%, we'd have $14 billion more in tax revenue coming in right now that would erase a lot of deficits and pay for a lot of programs, especially veterans, who get a raw deal, no matter who is in government. I wouldn't mind if the NDP raised the GST by a point, if it meant they stopped mucking around with corporate tax rates. Don't fix what isn't broken NDP, especially considering the NDP know almost nothing about corporate entities, or economics for that matter.

Alberta's provincial election was a special case - the right was fractured and allowed the NDP to come up the middle. It was the same reason why the Liberals always won elections in the 1990's. The federal landscape is completely different. The NDP may win second place in a lot of ridings in Alberta, but that and $5 gets you a latte at Starbucks.

I thought that summed it al up perfectly.

Fear of Harper is reasonable and expected. Even after 10+ years. But fear of the opposition is irrational. Lol

LOL?

That quote is exactly right. Especially with what we know of Harper for 10+ years.

We know what Harper has done...and people still want to vote for him?

That is what is irrational.

LOL indeed. Mr. Dee is trying to do what the BC NDP tried and failed to do in our election here in BC. Say nothing about what your party is going to do differently, and just point at the other guy and say "he's bad so vote for me". That doesn't work. Especially when you are the NDP, and you come with the stink of all of those failed provincial governments wafting all around you.

I'm not pushing anybody's agenda...just pointing out the what we know about Harper, and most of all the information isn't good. This differs from your fear of what the other parties "might" do.

There is plenty of evidence out there about what Harper is all about, all you have to do is look.