Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

Nanos Power Party index out today.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/nanos-on-the-numbers/ndp-numbers-plateau-as-conservatives-have-strong-july-nanos-1.2502214

NDP: 55 points

Cons: 53 Points

Liberals: 50 points

pollster Nik Nanos spoke of recent polling results and said: “What’s interesting is that the direction now is starting to favour the Conservatives, while the NDP and the Liberal tracking numbers are starting to look a little flat – flatter than they have been in the past.

Nanos described the index as a sort of “advanced indicator” that reflects some of the underlying opinions that influence voter behaviour. Though the index isn’t a direct measurement of which party voters are leaning towards, Nanos said an index upswing could soon translate into increased support for Harper’s party.

Harper has also climbed significantly in the individual leader categories, according to this week’s Nanos survey. The latest numbers show 31 per cent of those polled would prefer Harper as prime minister, compared to 28 per cent for Mulcair and 22 per cent for Liberal leader Justin Trudeau.

Obviously early but interesting.  Is this an indication that when its "for real" people who considered voting NDP swing back to the "safe" vote?  Or just the power of the governing party?  I would have thought with the media coverage being negative on the Cons and positive on NDP that the reverse of this would be true, with the NDP climbing early.

Its also interesting that people continue to see Harper as the best person for the job among the leaders.  This really flies in the face of the Anti-Harper crowd.  It makes me wonder if the "Stop Harper" movement is ill-advised.  Might be better to attack actual issues rather than a popular leader that is seen by the most people to be the best person for the gig.

And what the heck happened to the Liberals?  It actually warms my heart a bit that people want more in their politicians then "young, good looking, nice hair, rock star".  The Libs might have to do a 180 as this progresses if something doesnt change.  They've branded their party "Justin" more so than the liberal party.  Might have to change that.

Backlash from left leaning voters for the Liberal support of C-51.

That poll puts the NDP within 10 seats of a majority, that is scary (see Ontario/Manitoba/BC).

Are Canadians that blind?

I hope Quebec wakes up and saves us......

ugh. ....I feel sick.......

By turning to the Cons or by NDP voters voting BQ?

I cant imagine the NDP do as well in Quebec this time...

The thing about Mulcair is, he has been considered the potential weak link because he's prone to outbursts and coming across like an angry guy. His decision not to take questions caused backlash. He then did take questions and was well prepared in how he focused on the Cons and wouldnt even say Justin's name (amusingly it became a story when Harper kept calling him "Justin" rather than "Justin Trudeau"...). It will be interesting to see how Mulcair performs as the election wears on.

As much as I like Harper, he can be his own worst enemy too. I think when he speaks and interacts, he comes across very likeable. But he seems to be so private or determined to not be caught "relaxing" that those moments are few and far between. I think Harper himself is the best tool against the "Stop Harper" crowd because he really does seem like a likeable person.

I'm referring to Quebec in the hope they will stifle the 'orange wave' and realize electing mulcair would be a mistake.

I don't know how much stock to put in polls, but if the election were held right now, some pollsters are saying we'd have a minority NDP government.  That would be favorable to a majority NDP government, I guess....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poll-tracker-ndp-lead-widens-slightly-over-conservatives-1.3178079

Nightmare scenario. Elizabeth May & the Greens hold the balance of power. Shoot me now.

All the attack ads are absolutely stupid.  Let's cut and paste his/her speech to make it sound like they are going to grind us into the dirt.

I'd like to know who the morons are that fall for this.  Then deport them to the U.S. where they belong.  :D

I said the same thing to my wife this morning. Only morons fall for these ads. We must be a country of morons. 

According to Gregory Thomas...

Federal Director, Canadian Taxpayers Federation

Under Harper's leadership, Conservatives became the first to routinely use personal attacks ads outside an election writ period. Their ads often used quotes deliberately taken out of context. Incidence of attack ads by Harper Conservatives was heavier than by any other government.

According to Gregory Thomas...

Federal Director, Canadian Taxpayers Federation

Under Harper's leadership, Conservatives became the first to routinely use personal attacks ads outside an election writ period. Their ads often used quotes deliberately taken out of context. Incidence of attack ads by Harper Conservatives was heavier than by any other government.

Good strategy! :)

All the attack ads do is tell me how scared Harper is of his opponents and, because of how transparently shitty they are, make me want to vote for anyone but him...

I guess you don't want to vote for anyone then.

Those are dumbass commercials. And only dumbasses believe them. They make me want to vote for Trudeau just out of spite.

Yep, the Conservative party changed no doubt. Nothing at all like the PCP of Canada which had swung too far left. We can thank  Brian Mulroney for the rise of Reform in western Canada & the merge of the Canadian Alliance with the Tory Party over a decade ago.

All the attack ads do is tell me how scared Harper is of his opponents and, because of how transparently shitty they are, make me want to vote for anyone but him...

Those are dumbass commercials. And only dumbasses believe them. They make me want to vote for Trudeau just out of spite.

Only dumbasses believe Justin isn't ready to be PM? Lol. I'd say you've got that backwards but I'm not here to insult people.

Pretry sure he was saying those commercials cater to the lowest common denominator

Yep, mostly people with thick foreheads & who walk on their knuckles.  

I hope Dee's not looking at this thread too much.  He might feel insulted at those remarks.  But you never know considering...

;)

Pretry sure he was saying those commercials cater to the lowest common denominator

Yep, mostly people with thick foreheads & who walk on their knuckles.

I hope Dee's not looking at this thread too much. He might feel insulted at those remarks. But you never know considering...

;)

Somebody's been inhaling too much stain....

Only dumbasses believe Justin isn't ready to be PM? Lol. I'd say you've got that backwards but I'm not here to insult people.

You're insulting our intelligence by defending that ad.

Only "dumbasses" believe his main priority is legalizing pot, or that his only thought on foreign policy is sending winter jackets to Syria.