Fire O'Shea

holoman

I always liked O’Shea and thought he was a good coach, I think people were losing patience of the process after going 5-2 to start the 2014 season only to finish 7-11 and then having the disastrous injury plagued season or 2015 and going 5-13.. after having some really bad teams after the Dave Richtie era I don’t think our fan base was very patient to trust the process. But I’m very glad Walters and O’Shea got one more year because if 2016 wasn’t pretty I don’t think either of them would be here and that would have been a big mistake. 

Edited by Arnold_Palmer

On 2015-07-25 at 11:13 PM, White Out said:

i have to say its really gratifying being on the right side of history so damn often. MOS was a bad hire and watching the rest of the fan base get on board with that train of thought is tragically satisfying. oh, sure, id rather be wrong and enjoy a competently coached team... but that's clearly not in the cards.

so gratifying lol

On 2015-07-25 at 11:13 PM, White Out said:

i have to say its really gratifying being on the right side of history so damn often. MOS was a bad hire and watching the rest of the fan base get on board with that train of thought is tragically satisfying. oh, sure, id rather be wrong and enjoy a competently coached team... but that's clearly not in the cards.

Did I just go through most of this thread....yes I did. Below (and one above) are some of my favorites, some because they're spot on others because they aged like milk out in the sun! Man how things have changed!!

On 2015-08-09 at 7:08 PM, do or die said:

O'Shea was a pretty mentally tough player.......but this team is, obviously not cast in his image...

On 2015-08-29 at 7:35 PM, Guest J5V said:

A lot of Bomber fans love Mike O'Shea but he is never going to be an X and Os type of coach that will analyze and dissect another team and come up with the adjustments necessary to score enough points to win a football game. He is a cheerleader, not much else. Someone else needs to be brought in to completely take over the offense and O'Shea needs to leave the offense alone completely. Let him cheer lead, pat players on the back, and contemplate throwing challenge flags. Let Khari Jones, or someone else run the offense. Then we might stand a chance of making the playoffs.

On 2015-09-26 at 10:10 AM, pigseye said:

You know, they make me sit through 2 years of this crap, while O'Shea learns on the fly to become a good HC only to fire his ass? I don't think that's right, if you're convinced he's going to be a good HC then stick with him and go down with the ship too.

On 2015-09-28 at 4:50 PM, Guest J5V said:

I don't see O'Shea or Bellefeille going anywhere until after the Bombers have cashed in on the Grey Cup. Once they have done that the Board may let Miller have some cash to hire a proven GM and some coaches. 

On 2015-09-29 at 3:07 PM, voodoochylde said:

Marshall is a damn good running back .. and he's criminally under used by MB .. the Walker signing was pointless.

On 2015-10-05 at 8:41 AM, iso_55 said:

Can you keep a HC if he finishes 4-14 & has a record of 11-25? I don't think you can. 

On 2015-10-05 at 9:55 PM, NotoriousBIG said:

We have zero depth. Fire Walters. 

On 2015-10-06 at 9:26 AM, iso_55 said:

Well, if the Bombers don t fire MOS after this season then they will midway thru next season when we're something like 2-6 or 2-7 because we'll never be close to being a winner with him as head coach. #lostcause

On 2015-10-18 at 7:42 PM, Tracker said:

For those who continue to support O'Shea's continued presence as head coach- what has he done exceptionally well to deserve a stay of execution?

Win-loss record? Nope.

Smart choice of underlings? Nope.

Assessment of player talent? Nope.

Roster management? Nope.

Inspiring sideline presence? Nope.

Making changes to player personnel before crisis? Nope.

27 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

hey that's cranially and personality-challenged to you....

I have 3 demerits on here, so I'm not allowed to call anyone specifically an ******* or a moron.......but......I will throw out the general statement that the complainers in this thread look like morons and assholes based on their comments at that time. I think that keeps me out of trouble. :)

I’ll be completely honest here. I thought we were building something here in Winnipeg. I remember this was talk about O’Shea and Walters and I absolutely wanted to keep Walters as I thought he did a fantastic job drafting and building from what was poor Canadian talent, and with O’Shea I was willing to give him a short rope in 2016. I thought he was a good players coach but wasn’t sure if he could be that Grey Cup worthy head coach. But I think we can all agree is like players, coaches and general managers can grow into their roles, bringing Lapolice in 2016 I think helped a lot as Marcel was absolutely horrendous, as it gave veteran coordinators who have been head coaches before help with O’Shea who was a first time head coach. 

6 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I’ll be completely honest here. I thought we were building something here in Winnipeg. I remember this was talk about O’Shea and Walters and I absolutely wanted to keep Walters as I thought he did a fantastic job drafting and building from what was poor Canadian talent, and with O’Shea I was willing to give him a short rope in 2016. I thought he was a good players coach but wasn’t sure if he could be that Grey Cup worthy head coach. But I think we can all agree is like players, coaches and general managers can grow into their roles, bringing Lapolice in 2016 I think helped a lot as Marcel was absolutely horrendous, as it gave veteran coordinators who have been head coaches before help with O’Shea who was a first time head coach. 

We needed a QB.  For a short time there in 2014 it looked like we had found our guy in Drew Willy, and then we went back to wandering around in the wilderness.  Matt Nichols did as much as anybody to save the Canadian Mafia and give them someone to build a team around.   Let's face it, when those three guys took over it was basically scorched earth, and going right back to square one, with almost zero Canadians worth putting in the line up.  And as well, a pretty toxic culture, that can't be changed over night.  FIFO requires buy in from everyone, and the right guys in the locker room to buy into it. Anyway, I had my doubts along the way as well, especially in those first few years when I could see O'Shea was in a bit over his head and doing the Tim Burke thousand yard stare while the whole stadium was screaming for him to throw a challenge flag etc.  But we're past all of that now.  And thank goodness for that!

Yah.. It brought me flash backs of anger... Not nearly as bad as when Joe Mack was here.. or Even Mike Kelly..

Its good to know that Miller et al. all have the foresight to stick to their plan and not react constantly to Fan angst and broke the cycle or firing coaches / players instead of sticking it out..

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I was wrong but not sure why somebody felt the need to reactivate a 6 year old thread.

I was cleaning up my inbox from all these useless emails i get from the CFL about things i don't care about and unsubscribed, selected all emails with CFL in then and saw this and clicked on it and spent some time reading through it..   I figured some would get a kick out of it..   It wasn't pointed at any one person and was a reflection on how wrong i was at the time in my mindset. 

but.. I mean.. you could just not respond allowing it to die again.. But instead you have me replying to you :D

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I was wrong but not sure why somebody felt the need to reactivate a 6 year old thread.

No kidding. What's the point? Would the ones saying they were right be happier if they were wrong? MOS came into his own as a HC in 2016 & 17. I was wrong & I'm glad I was. I would defend Mike as a hill to die on, now. Yeah, I wanted him gone but we were geting hammered in 14 & 15. Do the fans that hated Matt Nicholls going to admit that it was Matt Nichols who turned things around for us at qb? It just seems pointless. Just enjoy the fact that we will probably repeat as GC champs. We hope. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I never doubted the hire..or worried about the trials and tribulations as well as the growing pains...I been through it before and know a respected player as such can and usually does make them team in his image...and it happened..

Case in point look how hard our defence plays and the pain they lay out and do it within the boundaries of the game...that's how OSH played and how the team's he captained operated

Like Willie J said in that 28 min interview with Hustler...watch it and u will get it

I feel like this thread should be removed and and who wanted to fire O'Shea should have a permanent signature added to their account so we are reminded every time they post that they wanted to fire O'Shea.  I skimmed a few pages, didn't see my name so I think I was smart enough just to avoid that thread.

My favorite part is actually a post of someone commenting that Miller said he thought the team was headed in the right direction and it was going to take time to turn it around.  

I'm not sure when I said it, but it was sometime in MOS' first three years when I was talking to a buddy and expressed that I really believed Kyle Walters was going to GM us to our next Grey Cup, but I didn't think MOS would be the coach.

Happy to be wrong, obviously. Mike is the kind of guy you root for.

Bringing up this thread is obviously ridiculous though. That third season was a tipping point and there was certainly other outcomes that would have led to MOS being let go....

I specifically remember starting to lose my patience in the 2016 season.... I was sitting at a game early in the season and remember saying to my friend I might cancel my season tickets if this season doesn't turn around and we keep O'Shea and Walters... well, the season did turn around... and I still have season tickets... and the rest is history... not sure if I ever commented in this thread as this isn't the kind of stuff I like to get into...