Fire O'Shea

holoman

What makes this even sadder was that had O'Shea fired both offensive and defensive coordinators and special teams coach at the end of last year and replaced the offensive coordinator and special teams coach with someone as good as Hall has been with the defence, we would probably not be in this fix. O'Shea's pig-headedness has done him in, or rather his choice of assistants plus his unrewarded loyalty to them.

Willy still would have got hurt and Brohm and Marve both would have still sucked

Willy still would have got hurt and Brohm and Marve both would have still sucked

Players can and do get hurt, but at the same time, MB seems to have a gladiator mentality concerning the health of his QB's.  Hiring an offensive coordinator that has experience is usually a good thing, but when said experience shows that the OC is mediocre at best, then O'Shea should have had the smarts to replace MB after last year instead of giving him yet one more year to see how many 5 yr curls he can call and how many of his QB's can be carted off the field.    

O'Shea the player > O'Shea the coach.

The logic behind keeping bellefool was sound. Spend money on the OL and see if that helps, it didn't. This offseason we tie the can to Bellefool and hire someone who can get a decent product on the field. 

It was not sound, it was just easy. Last season, 2008 in Hamilton and 2007 in Montreal, along with his tenure as head coach of the Ticats was enough evidence that Marcel isn't good enough.

Hall is certainly a upgrade. Huge mistake passing up the opportunity to upgrade OC when we canned Etch..... and we get to keep paying for it, the rest of this season....

Like some of the coach hire examples given above, the club simply took the easy way out, as opposed to striving for something, say excellence......

Kind of the overarching story of this team

The logic behind keeping bellefool was sound. Spend money on the OL and see if that helps, it didn't. This offseason we tie the can to Bellefool and hire someone who can get a decent product on the field. 

Umm, no.  His history showed exactly what kind of OC he was and last year just demonstrated more of the same.  You hire mediocrity, don't be surprised when you get mediocrity.  MB has been and always will be mediocre.  A smart football mind recognizes this.  Might that have been a reason his was available mid-season in 2013?

Umm, no. His history showed exactly what kind of OC he was and last year just demonstrated more of the same. You hire mediocrity, don't be surprised when you get mediocrity. MB has been and always will be mediocre. A smart football mind recognizes this. Might that have been a reason his was available mid-season in 2013?
He was still getting paid by Hamilton at the time and was on a tour of NFL camps to further his knowledge of offences.

I like Oshea, sure he is learning as he goes, and has made some mistakes along way and stuck with an OC that just isn't capable of installing a new and creative offensive and that is what needs to be addressed, and quite frankly now is gonna have to wait until end of the year.

If MO does the right thing, and releases MB right after the season ends (within weeks) then he is learning and realizes a major fault and we move forward and he deserves a third year (but a 6 game leash)

We already have a guy RH who can take over interm, and quite frankly I would have no issue with him longterm as he is experienced, learned from his past mistakes and guaranteed would bring on a A1 quality OC to over see his offence.

Our defence is taking shape and all the key guys will be back, we have some up and comers we are grooming and are really only a dominant D-lineman, maybe 2 from being scary good. 

Offence too has the parts, need a few tweeks and a better system but can be a very good ball control, grind em down offence if used right. We do need to stop the extra Canadian starter tho at the expense of another import receiver, either a real athletic burner, or a bigger mean s.o.b of a guy who can dominate smaller db's ...and for gawds sake start using Marshall how he should be. It's a shame how we waste him...he should be getting at least 10-15 touches rushing a game and 5-6 throws in various ways..I feel for that guy cause in the right system he would be awesome...

Umm, no. His history showed exactly what kind of OC he was and last year just demonstrated more of the same. You hire mediocrity, don't be surprised when you get mediocrity. MB has been and always will be mediocre. A smart football mind recognizes this. Might that have been a reason his was available mid-season in 2013?
He was still getting paid by Hamilton at the time and was on a tour of NFL camps to further his knowledge of offences.

Yea, I've heard that excuse before.  Let me just say that if he was a top notch coordinator, he would not have been on the market long.  Look at Richie Hall and others.  You get to have time off because no one really thinks you'd be an upgrade over what they already have.  Except for us, we managed to hire an OC so bad that MB was actually a step up and then we decided (incredibly) that he was good enough to keep.  It's sad when mediocre is good enough instead of "good enough until we can get a real OC"

Yea, I've heard that excuse before.  Let me just say that if he was a top notch coordinator, he would not have been on the market long.  Look at Richie Hall and others.  You get to have time off because no one really thinks you'd be an upgrade over what they already have.  Except for us, we managed to hire an OC so bad that MB was actually a step up and then we decided (incredibly) that he was good enough to keep.  It's sad when mediocre is good enough instead of "good enough until we can get a real OC"

Bellefuille was coaching in Omaha in 2012. And look at Lapo and others. Lapo was considered a pretty good OC but wants to be a HC so he has turned down OC positions offered since he was fired here.

Bellefuille was coaching in Omaha in 2012. And look at Lapo and others. Lapo was considered a pretty good OC but wants to be a HC so he has turned down OC positions offered since he was fired here.

And that explains why MB was willing to come here mid season as a "consultant"?  Not really understanding why people seem to be trying to find excuses for why he was out of the CFL except for the obvious and simple reason: No one wanted him because they believed they had better.  Not because MB was excited to be coaching in arena league or was holding out for a HC position.

Yea, I've heard that excuse before. Let me just say that if he was a top notch coordinator, he would not have been on the market long. Look at Richie Hall and others. You get to have time off because no one really thinks you'd be an upgrade over what they already have. Except for us, we managed to hire an OC so bad that MB was actually a step up and then we decided (incredibly) that he was good enough to keep. It's sad when mediocre is good enough instead of "good enough until we can get a real OC"

And that explains why MB was willing to come here mid season as a "consultant"? Not really understanding why people seem to be trying to find excuses for why he was out of the CFL except for the obvious and simple reason: No one wanted him because they believed they had better. Not because MB was excited to be coaching in arena league or was holding out for a HC position.

In 2013 he was on his sabbatical touring NFL camps when Wade called him.

Yea, I've heard that excuse before. Let me just say that if he was a top notch coordinator, he would not have been on the market long. Look at Richie Hall and others. You get to have time off because no one really thinks you'd be an upgrade over what they already have. Except for us, we managed to hire an OC so bad that MB was actually a step up and then we decided (incredibly) that he was good enough to keep. It's sad when mediocre is good enough instead of "good enough until we can get a real OC"

And that explains why MB was willing to come here mid season as a "consultant"? Not really understanding why people seem to be trying to find excuses for why he was out of the CFL except for the obvious and simple reason: No one wanted him because they believed they had better. Not because MB was excited to be coaching in arena league or was holding out for a HC position.

In 2013 he was on his sabbatical touring NFL camps when Wade called him.

"sabbatical" - CFL dictionary defines this as:  "No one's interested"

O'Shea has had enough time to demonstrate his skills and judgement and both have been seen as wanting.  I think he has passed the point of no return and cannot redeem himself in the eyes of the team or the fans. Kelly and Burke were so abrasive that I was glad to see them go, but O'Shea's looming departure is just sad. He tried his best but it just wasn't good enough.

Time to turn the page.

O'Shea has had enough time to demonstrate his skills and judgement and both have been seen as wanting.  I think he has passed the point of no return and cannot redeem himself in the eyes of the team or the fans. Kelly and Burke were so abrasive that I was glad to see them go, but O'Shea's looming departure is just sad. He tried his best but it just wasn't good enough.

Time to turn the page.

Burke was abrasive? I find MOS more abrasive. What with his getting all defensive and he is even less into answering questions than Burke. Honestly? There isn't much difference between Burke and MOS.

I like Oshea, sure he is learning as he goes, and has made some mistakes along way and stuck with an OC that just isn't capable of installing a new and creative offensive and that is what needs to be addressed, and quite frankly now is gonna have to wait until end of the year.

If MO does the right thing, and releases MB right after the season ends (within weeks) then he is learning and realizes a major fault and we move forward and he deserves a third year (but a 6 game leash)

We already have a guy RH who can take over interm, and quite frankly I would have no issue with him longterm as he is experienced, learned from his past mistakes and guaranteed would bring on a A1 quality OC to over see his offence.

Our defence is taking shape and all the key guys will be back, we have some up and comers we are grooming and are really only a dominant D-lineman, maybe 2 from being scary good. 

Offence too has the parts, need a few tweeks and a better system but can be a very good ball control, grind em down offence if used right. We do need to stop the extra Canadian starter tho at the expense of another import receiver, either a real athletic burner, or a bigger mean s.o.b of a guy who can dominate smaller db's ...and for gawds sake start using Marshall how he should be. It's a shame how we waste him...he should be getting at least 10-15 touches rushing a game and 5-6 throws in various ways..I feel for that guy cause in the right system he would be awesome...

Nothing to add... this post was just so perfect I thought it should be in this thread twice...

It's interesting you say that as Suitor doesn't seem to be a big fan. He made the point during the Sask game (I believe labor day) to be a premier back you regularly have to make the first guy miss which Suitor believes Marshall isn't doing. 

It's interesting you say that as Suitor doesn't seem to be a big fan. He made the point during the Sask game (I believe labor day) to be a premier back you regularly have to make the first guy miss which Suitor believes Marshall isn't doing. 

Yet TSN is all over backs like Walker and Grigsby being great, two guys who have yet to make anyone miss.