Positives?

BBlink

If I get a spare couple hours this week I want to break down Hurl vs. Cornish.

When I watched the big 3Q Cornish drive, it looked like Hurl's assignments were initially taking him away from Cornish -- he was blitzing towards the wrong side, or he was dropping back into a zone, or whatever.

I remember watching cornish drag hurl like he was a little boy on a one play. Can't wait till we get an impact MLB and not someone who is just taking up space.

To be completely fair though, Cornish has dragged an awful lot of middle linebackers around over the years. Not like he's some scrub itty bitty back there. 

I think Willy is the real deal. Our oline did some good things and we played hard.Our d is getting better.

I was ushering the game, and some guy was giving me a hard time saying Willy couldn't throw... he promptly threw a touchdown.  Sadly that did not shut him up.

Honestly I have a lot of hope for this season based purely on the way WIlly is playing. That last INT aside he was in such control that game. Not really taking risks, making some good throws, just being efficient. Watching him develop last year to this year has been a treat. 

There's a reason he's the second highest rated quarterback in the league so far this year (119.6 - trailing only Harris who sits at 121.5) - he's playing smart football.  And, to be fair, Willy was playing like this last year as well (before he got hurt) .. he's only going to get better the more he plays.  

I also liked that 12 yard hard-fought gain by Addison Richards.  He just blew up that Calgary DB.  It would be great if we could use him more.  I was scared that Richards would just be Hargreaves 2.0 but he seems to be capable of fighting for yards, and his speed wasn't bad either.

Cornish seems no matter who is playing against to be able to fall forward for and extra 2-3 yards. It's an ability I have rarely seen in a back before. Must get an extra 500-600 yards a year falling forward.

Cornish seems no matter who is playing against to be able to fall forward for and extra 2-3 yards. It's an ability I have rarely seen in a back before. Must get an extra 500-600 yards a year falling forward.

Steve Ferrughelli 1974.  Played for the Als, he didn't last long but he was a monster to defend against, he would bash for 5 and and fall for 3.  Similarity to Cornish is that he was an upright runner as well.

Steve Ferrughelli 1974.  Played for the Als, he didn't last long but he was a monster to defend against, he would bash for 5 and and fall for 3.  Similarity to Cornish is that he was an upright runner as well.

You must remember Jim Evenson. He was the same way. What a great fullback he was. I used to love watching Bob Houmard play. Blood & guts football. Nothing fancy. Just hit the hole running north-south punishing tacklers.

You must remember Jim Evenson. He was the same way. What a great fullback he was. I used to love watching Bob Houmard play. Blood & guts football. Nothing fancy. Just hit the hole running north-south punishing tacklers.

Sure, if he wasn't overshadowed by George Reed he would have been in the CFL H of F.  He was bigger than most of the D-linemen trying to tackle him!

Sure, if he wasn't overshadowed by George Reed he would have been in the CFL H of F.  He was bigger than most of the D-linemen trying to tackle him!

The only guy I ever thought that came close to Evenson as a fullback was Blake Marshall.

Cornish is way faster than any of those guys, Unless my memory runs slower than yours. He is not fast by any means but fast for his power. I am not in love with Hurl but no linebacker in today's mold can stop Cornish dead in his tracks. The only way would be to hit him before he gets a chance to move forward and modern offenses are not going to give defenses that opportunity. That would happen only if Calgary decided to hire Mike Kelly as the OC. 

Cornish is way faster than any of those guys, Unless my memory runs slower than yours. He is not fast by any means but fast for his power. I am not in love with Hurl but no linebacker in today's mold can stop Cornish dead in his tracks. The only way would be to hit him before he gets a chance to move forward and modern offenses are not going to give defenses that opportunity. That would happen only if Calgary decided to hire Mike Kelly as the OC. 

Tough to disagree with that one... even Elimimian can't stop Cornish dead once he gets moving... 

Tough to disagree with that one... even Elimimian can't stop Cornish dead once he gets moving... 

Agreed, he's something else. If a team can keep Cornish to around 100, they've down well. 

That being said I think he is on the downhill of a great football career.

Agreed, he's something else. If a team can keep Cornish to around 100, they've down well. 

That being said I think he is on the downhill of a great football career.

That hill can't come soon enough. :)