2017-2018 Starting Lineup

Ducky

I actually have concerns with Petan after watching a couple of Moose games.

There is no doubt the guy has incredible puck skills, but he really lacks high end speed.  I would have hoped / expected that at the AHL level a small guy like that would have noticeable speed compared to the rest of the competition.  But he doesn't.  He looks average out there.  

Someone of his size typically needs something to make up for his lack of size in the NHL, and for the smaller guys who make it, it is usually speed to avoid checks, to skate away from the competition.  He doesn't seem to have it.

Jury is still out for sure.  I'm not writing him off completely, but it is concerning.

43 minutes ago, Rich said:

I actually have concerns with Petan after watching a couple of Moose games.

There is no doubt the guy has incredible puck skills, but he really lacks high end speed.  I would have hoped / expected that at the AHL level a small guy like that would have noticeable speed compared to the rest of the competition.  But he doesn't.  He looks average out there.  

Someone of his size typically needs something to make up for his lack of size in the NHL, and for the smaller guys who make it, it is usually speed to avoid checks, to skate away from the competition.  He doesn't seem to have it.

Jury is still out for sure.  I'm not writing him off completely, but it is concerning.

I know this has been discussed at length already, but how much does the Moose lousyness affect individual, particularly young players?

From reports I'd read in the past, Armia was really struggling down there at times. Then up here, put him on a line with some skill and BOOM - clear evidence of 1st rd skill, no doubt.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I know this has been discussed at length already, but how much does the Moose lousyness affect individual, particularly young players?

From reports I'd read in the past, Armia was really struggling down there at times. Then up here, put him on a line with some skill and BOOM - clear evidence of 1st rd skill, no doubt.

It isn't lack of production or points that concerns me. It is lack of break away speed to get away from the pack.  He can get caught from behind  

That has nothing to do with the rest of the team. 

BTW, He scored a really nice OT goal at the game I was at last weekend. 

• 3 weeks later...

The 2016-2017 starting lineup we're likely to see... (lines and D pairings in no order)

Ehlers Little Wheeler

Connor Scheif Armia

Dano Perreault Staf

Lemieux Lowry Copp

Enstrom Buff

Stuart Hamonic

Chiarot Trouba

Helle Pavs

Pressbox----------> Postma Burmi Thorbs

Two rookies make the starting lineup.

29 minutes ago, Ducky said:

The 2016-2017 starting lineup we're likely to see... (lines and D pairings in no order)

Ehlers Little Wheeler

Connor Scheif Armia

Dano Perreault Staf

Lemieux Lowry Copp

Enstrom Buff

Stuart Hamonic

Chiarot Trouba

Helle Pavs

Pressbox----------> Postma Burmi Thorbs

Two rookies make the starting lineup.

I thought you wanted Staf gone?  We'll see if Tkachuk can crack the line up next year.  He'll probably need another year of junior.

If I have to watch another year of the Enstrom-Buff trainwreck I think I will cry.  I also don't think Chiarot is going to be around next year.  Morrissey may make the jump, RHD/LHD crap aside.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I thought you wanted Staf gone?  We'll see if Tkachuk can crack the line up next year.  He'll probably need another year of junior.

If I have to watch another year of the Enstrom-Buff trainwreck I think I will cry.  I also don't think Chiarot is going to be around next year.  Morrissey may make the jump, RHD/LHD crap aside.

I do, I said this is the lineup I'll think we'll see, not the lineup I want to see.

Ideally, IDEALLY - we're close to the point of Stu serving as the 7th defender.  I realize salary may dictate otherwise, nonetheless...

I'm hopeful Hamonic's a Jet next season, same with Morrissey.  Forgetting LHD/RHD (right KBF!) I'd like to see Buff, Enstrom, Trouba, Meyers, Hamonic & Morrissey. Possible? Sure. Likey? Probably not....but that's why they pay Chevy to be GM.

There is some speculation that the idea of Hamonic going somewhere other than Winnipeg is a red herring and that he has said Winnipeg is the only place he'd go.  Talk of Edmonton or Minnesota is to make it seem like the Isles GM has options and to possibly crank up the return.  But if the speculation is true, surely Chevy knows that.  I expect a fair deal, if a deal gets done, which probably leans in our favour.

Is a 50/50 chance Hamonic ends up here too hopeful? Maybe not hopeful enough? For me, bottom line is he is getting traded somewhere, that's a given. And it's a given when he is moved, it'll only be to one of 3 or 4 teams tops.  Has to play to our advantage.  

38 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There is some speculation that the idea of Hamonic going somewhere other than Winnipeg is a red herring and that he has said Winnipeg is the only place he'd go.  Talk of Edmonton or Minnesota is to make it seem like the Isles GM has options and to possibly crank up the return.  But if the speculation is true, surely Chevy knows that.  I expect a fair deal, if a deal gets done, which probably leans in our favour.

This makes sense.

Its almost a rental situation in that the player has asked to be moved for what seems like serious and legitimate personal reasons and the team as agreed to accommodate him, asking only that he give them the season.  Sure, he's under contract so that raises his value but unless the isles simply say screw it and keep him against his desire, he has to be traded and it has to be to Winnipeg.

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Too bad his salary is higher than his caphit, the Jets like their contracts the other way.

I think this is too simplistic a statement for how the Jets look at salary.  

The Jets have an internal budget which is typically less than the cap, so in this sense, they can usually take on a player whose cap hit is larger then his salary because they have salary cap space.  BUT his actual salary still has to fit into their internal cap.

Hamonic has an actual salary of $3.857M next year and $4.875M after that and going forward until 2019/2020.  

In this case, I think that $4.875M is pretty good value for the game that he brings.  And that is what the Jets will look at.  Not if his salary is higher or lower then the cap hit, but on a dollar for dollar basis, is the money his salary will take up on their internal budget a good value for the play that he gives them.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I think this is too simplistic a statement for how the Jets look at salary.  

The Jets have an internal budget which is typically less than the cap, so in this sense, they can usually take on a player whose cap hit is larger then his salary because they have salary cap space.  BUT his actual salary still has to fit into their internal cap.

Hamonic has an actual salary of $3.857M next year and $4.875M after that and going forward until 2019/2020.  

In this case, I think that $4.875M is pretty good value for the game that he brings.  And that is what the Jets will look at.  Not if his salary is higher or lower then the cap hit, but on a dollar for dollar basis, is the money his salary will take up on their internal budget a good value for the play that he gives them.

3.858m cap hit and 4.875m starting next season but I agree with you. He brings great value for 4 more seasons and wants to be here. He is what we need.

Scheifele is our #1 centre, pencil Little in as 2nd line

ESW

Perrault-Little-Armia

Connor-Lowry-Stafford

Lemieux-Copp-Dano

(Thorburn, Burmi)

Trouba-Buff

Enstrom-Myers

Morrissey-Postma

(Chiarot, Stuart)

Helle-Pavs

Eventually, Connor and Perrault change places...  I could see this team making the playoffs, barely.

Would be nice to see Hamonic here, trade Staff and Enstrom for something at the draft

Maybe sign a good 2nd line winger and give Connor another year in Michigan