2015 NHL Free Agency

Rich

Separate thread here as Free Agency is pretty much a week away.

An interesting tidbit in recent Free Press article:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/Burmistrovs-future-big-storyline-for-Jets-at-draft-309360161.html

We’re all dealing with trying to sign RFAs or UFAs and not having a solid number in front of you makes things a little bit difficult, difficult from a signing standpoint and difficult from a player agreeing standpoint. Everyone wants to know what might be available out there for him. We’re entering another unique part of the CBA where you have an interview period which starts on Thursday (where teams can ‘court’ prospective free agents in advance ot the market opening on July 1st). That’s a different phenomenon that we’re all learning the ins and outs from that standpoint. I guess once all things come into play and now you know you’re number, you can really start making your final plans for how you can move forward."

So while I know that talks with Frolik have apparently begun to "heat" up, if we don't get a deal done by Thursday he will be able to start getting a feel for what kind of money and term other teams would be willing to give him.

Must be the busiest time of the year for GMs with the Draft this weekend and Free Agency soon after.

With GMs able to talk to agents on Thursday, and pretty much all agents and GMs being at the draft, I expect a huge flurry of singings July 1st when they can officially submit contracts.

This should make Free Agent Frenzy day a lot more exciting as guys will likely have made a decision by July 1st and all that will need to happen is the announcement.  Id assume that means July 1st has many announcements early (which is good TV) and the analysts can spend the rest of the program analyzing.  I think it might allow for more Free Agents to stay with their former team as the pressure is less.  A player can go out and collect offers, know his value and give it some real sober thought.

Where things might get interesting is that teams will make offers for certain players but have a list of Plan B and Plan C and if their Plan A signs somewhere else on July 1st, they might try to get in on some other discussions.  But if this goes to plan, youd think every Free Agent would know where he's going before July 1st and every team would know who's signing with them before July 1st.

This should make Free Agent Frenzy day a lot more exciting as guys will likely have made a decision by July 1st and all that will need to happen is the announcement.  Id assume that means July 1st has many announcements early (which is good TV) and the analysts can spend the rest of the program analyzing.  I think it might allow for more Free Agents to stay with their former team as the pressure is less.  A player can go out and collect offers, know his value and give it some real sober thought.

Where things might get interesting is that teams will make offers for certain players but have a list of Plan B and Plan C and if their Plan A signs somewhere else on July 1st, they might try to get in on some other discussions.  But if this goes to plan, youd think every Free Agent would know where he's going before July 1st and every team would know who's signing with them before July 1st.

I think it is going to be absolutely crazy because you will have your primary offers ready, and your secondary and tertiary discussions should have happened to give you an idea of what salary range your plan B's and C's are in.

Than throw in how little the cap has increased this year, and it will be very interesting to see what happens as the dominoes begin to fall and who moves quickly to get the players they want.

The draft is over and free agency is a day away.  Thought I'd give a quick run down on where the Jets are at and my thoughts on what they will be looking for in free agency.

Right now, the Jets have about $50M tied up in cap space for next season.   The cap for next season is $73M, giving the jets $23M in cap room to play with.

Taking a pure guess, I'd put the Jets internal cap at somewhere between $60M - $65M, giving us $10 - $15M to spend in free agency.

Goalies $4.5M

Starting with goalies because I don't see much changing with them next year.  $4.5M tied up between Pavelec and Hutch.  Of note Pavelec has this year and next left on his contract while Hutchinson is an RFA going into next year.  So we are either going to have to pay Hutch to bridge to the end of Pav's contract or trade him if they want to have Hellebuyck play a year as a backup before taking over.

Pavelec - $3.9M

Hutchinson - 600K

Defense $24.3M

Like the goalies, barring a Byfuglien trade, can't see a whole lot changing in the Defense corps next year.

Clitsome is still on the book for one more year.  Not sure if insurance covers his salary or his salary is deferred due to long term IR, but I've included his salary regardless.  Safe to say he won't be playing for us next year though.

Morrissey and Kostalek are prospects that may push for a job, but I can't see either starting the year up with the Jets, but Morrissey may get a chance this year as an injury call up.

We still have an issue with too much high end depth on the right side, and not enough on the left.  Maurice has said that in some situations (like playing from behind), he would consider switching one of them sides to get more high end talent on the ice to come back in a game.

I'm guessing the D Pairs will look something like this:

Enstrom - Myers

Stuart - Trouba

Chiarot - Byfuglien

Postma and Harrison would be the 7th and 8th D.

Enstrom - $5.75M

Myers - $5.5M

Byfluglien - $5.2M

Suart - $2.6M

Clitsome - $2.3M

Harrisson = $1.1M

Trouba - 900K

Chiarot - 900K

Postma - Unsigned RFA but was qualified today.  I would expect his salary to be in the $1M - $2M range.

Word is they also want to re-sign Pardy but he can't be much more than $1.5M.  This may mean getting rid of Postman or Harrison or trying to bury one in the minors to start the season and risk them being plucked off waivers.

Forwards - $22.1M

Left the forwards for last because there is where the most change in the lineup will occur, and the most question marks heading into free agency.  We only have 8 forwards signed with that $21M so that leaves lots of open spots for prospects to step up and holes to fill with free agents.

I think we are going to need to fill at minimum of one hole with a rookie.  I think Ehlers, Petan, and Armia have the best chance.  I'm going to guess that Ehlers makes the team this year.

That leaves the lines something like this:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler

Perreault - Scheifele - <Free Agent 1>

Ehlers - Lowry - <Free Agent 2>

<Free Agent 3> - Copp - Thorburn

Peluso is also signed but I have him as the 13th forward.  Ehlers and Perreault may swap between the 2nd and 3rd line throughout the season.  

With the cap space we have left, I see us signing two forwards for around $5M (give or take $1M)  each to fill in on the 2nd and 3rd lines.  Stafford could well be one of those guys.  Depending who those players are, they could push Perreault down to the 3rd line with Ehlers.

Looking at the top 25 free agents that was posted in the other thread, going to be tough to fill those two holes.  Stafford would be an obvious choice.  Justin Williams and Joel Ward would be a nice fit if the term isn't long, but if they are going to cut a short term deal it would likely be with more of a contender.

I would even consider Vermette though though that would likely mean moving Lowry or Copp to the wing.  All three of those guys shoot left though.

My guess is we get Stafford and none of the other top 25 free agents.  This will give us a hole in the top nine and hope one of the prospects can step up.

Then you will likely sign one or two pluggers to fill out the 4th line for around $1M - $2m each.  Stempniak may very well be one of those guys if they can agree on a contract.

Armia and Petan would be the obvious choices for the first injury call ups.

Wheeler - $5.6M

Little - $4.7M

Ladd - $4.4M

Perreault - $3M

Thorburn - $1.2M

Scheifele - 900K

Lowry - 800K

Copp - 800K

Peluso - 700 K

Other players I haven't included in the current cap numbers:

Ehlers - 800K

Armia - 800K

Petan - 600K

They like Winnik. He was close to signing last season. Be a good pk guy to have. Jets won't overpay but they might sign a couple guys. Watch them sign a guy to a cheap deal similar to Perreault last year. People will be like wtf they doing then as the year goes on that signing will be the best value signing of the season. Weak class tho.

Peter Tessier:

Rumours

Last night I had a message from some one who knows the Flyers well and said Hextall has an offer for either Buff or Engstrom on the table. The offer was unclear but it did involve Amac as the 'favour' in the deal with other pieces. A second source said they had heard of 'talks' between the club. So take that for what it's worth, wild speculation based on some iffy info. That's not a shot at the sources just a reality check on the evidence presented. I always like getting this info because that's the fun in all of this and let's just remember- it's supposed to be fun.

@Eklund: Jets could pull of a major deal...possibly for a goalie...which is surprising given the prospects they have. just a rumor

That's why Eklund is so much fun!

Dubnyk? Would not be surprised if EDM threw cash at him.

EDM fans should expect ticket jump of 20%immediately :)