2015 NHL Draft And Trade Rumours

Rich

Thornton to a rebuilding leafs makes no sense. That Jets rumour is pretty much bs it seems

Hence my smiley face.  This came from the other thread.   As for the Thornton/Kessel rumour it would make sense for the Leafs since they would dump Kessel's long term contract and only have to shoulder Thornton's for a couple years.  Highly unlikely as you say.  But this is the rumours thread so throw in Phaneuf and Marleau too!

It would not surprise me at all if the Jets are trying to move up.  In fact I'd be shocked if Chevy wasnt having those conversations.  They've been pretty consistent in saying their model is draft & develop but also putting together enough assets that you can move some for a better player/position.  They are getting to that place where they could start using their picks and prospects as currency.  Arizona is a good target.  The last thing the Coyotes needs is another young player that no one in the state cares about.  They needed young players when they had no money to spend.  Now they are way below the salary floor.  Although Im not sure Morrissey would be overly attractive to them, might as well keep their pick.  Someone like Enstrom/Buff gives them something they need - salary.

There were strong rumours in the past that the coyotes had interest in Morrissey. So i could see them strongly thinking about it, They don't need Buff or Toby and if the deal involves Buff or Toby they better be adding something other than the 3rd overall pick. 

Does anyone honestly believe buff or toby would waive their no trade clauses and limited no trade clause in buffs case to go to Arizona? I don't think so. These guys want to win and Arizona has no chance of doing that. With that mess there also, i bet arizona is on most peoples no trade lists. 

Arizona wants cost controlled younger guys, yeah i get the whole gotta reach the floor thing but trading for Buff really makes no sense for Arizona at all, It's likely he would bolt in a year anyway cuz honestly NOBODY wants to go to that situation there, reality is in a year, maybe less, who knows Arizona could be moving elsewhere. I saw something on one of the sites that said agents of players are contacting the yotes and asking them if it's even worth their clients time to go sign there. It's a bad situation there, players don't like those situations at all... it's not healthy for them or the family really.

Gotta stop thinking Buff to arizona, it just won't happen, if it does, color me surprised for sure but i'd be willing to bet that it doesn't happen ever. 

Toby? I doubt it also, who would be our #1 LHD.. why would these guys waive to go from a possible playoff team to a team who has absolutely no chance in hell of even competing really.

Heres how i see it...

Colorado trades O'reilly plus their first round pick (10th overall) to Arizona for pick 3 and maybe Brandon Gormley. Something like that.

It would be nice if the Jets traded up to 3 but... they could maybe save the assets it would take to trade up that high and trade up with SJ at 9 or again even Colorado at 10 and grab another one of the d men...

Theres a d man in this draft that goes to Michigan, Jets have huge connections to that team (Trouba,Copp) etc... His name is Zach Werenski, he's a LHD and he has gone on record saying he tries to model his game after Jacob Trouba from the Jets and Jack Johnson of Columbus. 

If they want a LHD man (Hanifin,Provorov,Werenski) They don't need to trade up to 3, they could probably trade up to 9 or 10 and one will still be there cuz some of those teams picking in the top 10 (NJ,PHILLY) they don't need any more D prospects. 

Giordano's camp is asking for $9 million per season to start negotiations. Byfuglien will be asking for that range.

I hope Chevy trades Buff ASAP. A contract like for a guy like Buff would cripple the Jets for years.

Do you honestly believe we'd give Buff $9M per? I certainly don't.

He said thats what Buff will be asking for, not what the Jets will offer.  If Buff wants $9 million, he's gone.  I believe Lawless as speculated it would be up in that range too and he's pretty in tune with those things.  If I was the Jets and I wanted to keep Buff (rather then seeing him as an opportunity to gain assets), I'd be looking to go 2-3 years at $6-$7 million per and there would be little to no wiggle room there.  But I see Buff as someone who's returning assets in a trade would be more beneficial to the Jets then Buff over the next 3+ years (and that benefit increases every year after that)

Giordano's camp is asking for $9 million per season to start negotiations. Byfuglien will be asking for that range.

I hope Chevy trades Buff ASAP. A contract like for a guy like Buff would cripple the Jets for years.

Do you honestly believe we'd give Buff $9M per? I certainly don't.

He said thats what Buff will be asking for, not what the Jets will offer.

He said a contract like that would cripple the Jets, implying he could get it.

@cmorganfoxaz: Coyotes GM Don Maloney said one team offered him a pair of mid-first round picks and a player Wednesday evening for the No. 3 pick.

Teams that have multiple 1st round picks:

Arizona - 3 & 30

Buffalo 2 & 21

Edmonton 1 & 16

Philadelphia 7 & 29

Toronto 4 & 24

Winnipeg 17 & 25

@cmorganfoxaz: Coyotes GM Don Maloney said one team offered him a pair of mid-first round picks and a player Wednesday evening for the No. 3 pick.

Teams that have multiple 1st round picks:

Arizona - 3 & 30

Buffalo 2 & 21

Edmonton 1 & 16

Philadelphia 7 & 29

Toronto 4 & 24

Winnipeg 17 & 25

jets are the only one that would qualify as "a pair of mid first rounders" though...?  Maybe Philly depending on definition.  Interesting that the GM would say that seeing as it sort of exposes someone's trade offer and narrows it down to 1...maybe 2 teams.

Yeah it would have to be Winnipeg or Philly.

Arizona is obviously out.  Edmonton and Buffalo don't make sense to move down.  Don't think Toronto would give up a 2nd first rounder to move up one spot.

Yeah it would have to be Winnipeg or Philly.

Arizona is obviously out.  Edmonton and Buffalo don't make sense to move down.  Don't think Toronto would give up a 2nd first rounder to move up one spot.

Nor do Edmonton, Buffalo and Toronto really seem to fit the verbiage of two mid first round picks.

So lets assume it's the Jets, its interesting because we were all speculating the 25th pick, Burmi and a prospect (or am I mis-remembering?).  Giving both pics and a player for #3...how do we feel about that?

I guess it depends on the player.  The idea being both picks and no prospect is good in that #3 is probably better than our two picks.  We keep all our prospects.  But who's the player?  If it's Burmi, I dont know.  If he doesnt want to be here, trade him, but with us not yet signing Frolik and Stafford, Burmi is an asset we might need.

Gotta be Winnipeg - I feel like they're gonna try their hardest to move up, they can afford a BIG splash. The cupboard is stocked enough, time to up the ante and get a BIG name.

BIG.

How big?  Is #3 as high as they think they can move?  If they made an offer to Arizona, would we assume they've talked to Edmonton and Buffalo as well or do we assume both those teams have zero interest in dealing?

Gotta be Winnipeg - I feel like they're gonna try their hardest to move up, they can afford a BIG splash. The cupboard is stocked enough, time to up the ante and get a BIG name.

BIG.

How big?  Is #3 as high as they think they can move?  If they made an offer to Arizona, would we assume they've talked to Edmonton and Buffalo as well or do we assume both those teams have zero interest in dealing?

3 is absolutely as high as any team can move up in this draft.

BIG.

3 is absolutely as high as any team can move up in this draft.

The way Buffalo acted getting #2 I sort of wondered if a Lindros-level offer could be had there, though what team would make that offer, I dont know.  Problem is, Arizona will be getting multiple offers for that pick.  How bad do the Jets want it...will they give up Petan?