Korey Banks sues the CFL for $200 million

Mike

IF this is true then they should be able to sue.

But at somepoint people need to live with the choices they have make.  Would these lawsuit happen in the UFC or Boxing world? Less likely as its common knowledge that gettting punched in the head repeatedly causes brain damage.. Same goes for smacking your head into the wall.

On the opposite side of the scale you have guys like Crosby that site out indefinetly until all the symptoms are gone and it is as safe as possible before getting back on the ice.

Speaking of lawsuits, what became of the action filed by Arland Bruce last year?

Still in progress.

A judge is expected to rule sometime over the next month whether Bruce’s case will go to trial and the fate of Allen and Banks’ proposed class action hinges on that legal decision.

I find it amazing that all these leagues have no shortage of players eager to file suits like this.  If they actually succeeded they would pretty much destroy the whole league - especially the CFL.  After he made a pretty good living in it for many years. Pretty despicable if you ask me.

I'm not sure how I feel.  I understand your point of view but I also believe that the CFL and NFL have been less than responsible when it comes to brain injuries and they should have to answer for that.

I find it amazing that all these leagues have no shortage of players eager to file suits like this.  If they actually succeeded they would pretty much destroy the whole league - especially the CFL.  After he made a pretty good living in it for many years. Pretty despicable if you ask me.

I'm not sure how I feel.  I understand your point of view but I also believe that the CFL and NFL have been less than responsible when it comes to brain injuries and they should have to answer for that.

I see your point as well.  But these guys know that concussions are an issue in this sport.  And most guys don't have the patience to wait until their completely healed before they go back onto the field, because they just want to get back out there.  At the same time, if the doctor is saying you're cleared to play, then that's wrong as well.  But you can't put all the blame on them.  But suing for $200 million?  Even $100 million would ruin the CFL, and pretty much ruin the careers of all current and future football players, coaches, etc...  The issues need to be addressed, but suing the league is not the way to fix the issue.  It's a way to line your pockets.  Banks isn't looking out for anyone else but himself.

I see your point as well.  But these guys know that concussions are an issue in this sport.  And most guys don't have the patience to wait until their completely healed before they go back onto the field, because they just want to get back out there.  At the same time, if the doctor is saying you're cleared to play, then that's wrong as well.  But you can't put all the blame on them.  But suing for $200 million?  Even $100 million would ruin the CFL, and pretty much ruin the careers of all current and future football players, coaches, etc...  The issues need to be addressed, but suing the league is not the way to fix the issue.  It's a way to line your pockets.  Banks isn't looking out for anyone else but himself.

It's a class-action lawsuit, he is just leading it.  In a way, he is actually sticking his neck out for the benefit of possibly hundreds of players.

Players have a right to sue.  They see the payday the NFL players got.  For me, players cant sue for information no one knew about years ago.  They cant sue and say the league should have known when no one knew.  The issue in the NFL is that the league did know and kept the information quiet.  For that, they deserve to pay the price.  If the CFL hid information or otherwise ignored information, then they will have to pay.

I think any player entering the league now has a reasonable expectation of understanding the issues and the teams and league should be hyper-sensitive to it so you shouldnt see players in 20 years suing the league because they "didnt know" in 2015.

The NHL is dealing with it too and Bettman gave some lawyer responses (when he should have said no comment) calling into question the link between concussions and CTE.  Thats a battle he wont win.

As an aside, the famed Sports Legacy Institute that has really been on the forefront of investigating this and bringing it to the public's attention is headed by Chris Nowinski, former WWE wrestler.  And as an additional aside, Nowinski was persona non grata for quite some time as WWE wanted nothing to do with concussion education.  Hunter now sits on the board of Sports Legacy Institute.  Major turn around.

It's a class-action lawsuit, he is just leading it.  In a way, he is actually sticking his neck out for the benefit of possibly hundreds of players.

If the guy leading a class action suit has no class and doesn't see any action, I don't see this going very far.

If the guy leading a class action suit has no class and doesn't see any action, I don't see this going very far.

If Matt Dunigan signed on to this lawsuit, would opinions around here change?

It's not the fact that he was injured, it's what could the team or league have done differently at that time to mitigate or prevent the damage.  So likely, Matt would have a very difficult time winning the suit because at the time he played, there was very little understanding about the impact of concussions, or their long term effects.

There is no judge in the world that will fold a league on a class action lawsuit. Asking for 200 million is more than the worth of all CFL teams combined. Banks and his buddy are idiots. Maybe there is a kernel of legitimacy to their claims but the dollar amount is completely ridiculous. Where does Kory Banks think the CFL is going to get 200m. IDIOT. I hope he never graces us with his presence on this side of the border again. Just an ass clown.

It's not the fact that he was injured, it's what could the team or league have done differently at that time to mitigate or prevent the damage.  So likely, Matt would have a very difficult time winning the suit because at the time he played, there was very little understanding about the impact of concussions, or their long term effects.

Yet Banks partner in all of this is some guy I've never heard of that had a cup of coffee in the CFL. Calls himself "the flea" or "the tick" or something like that. Banks is trying to make this a class action for players all the way back to the 60's. The 60's? They were only a couple years off from leather helmets for gods sake.

Yet Banks partner in all of this is some guy I've never heard of that had a cup of coffee in the CFL. Calls himself "the flea" or "the tick" or something like that. Banks is trying to make this a class action for players all the way back to the 60's. The 60's? They were only a couple years off from leather helmets for gods sake.

I, also, find it pretty hard to fathom that Korey Banks...a player that only retired last year....suddenly found out that multiple concussion could have serious consequences. Either he was living under a rock, or missed the media blitz in Canada about concussions since Eric Lindros took his ball and went home. He would have to be the stupidest, or most ignorant guy on the planet to not know any of this stuff. Conspiracy to hide it from him? What....does he need it tattooed on his damn forehead? Since I was 4 years old, long before concussion protocol came around, I knew...and everyone I know knew that repeated blows to the head would eventually turn your brain to mush.

End of rant. Sorry guys for the multiple posts but I can't stand the way everyone wants to run for lawyers and blame someone else for the choices they made in life.

Allen played for the Argos for 4 years which is more than a "cup of coffee."  Whether you've heard of him or not doesn't really make a difference.

The basis for the timeline comes from research that was available at the time.

From the article:

Lawyers for Allen and Banks said CFL officials as early as 1952 knew about the harmful effects of multiple concussions, thanks to research published in medical journals such as The New England Journal of Medicine.

I, also, find it pretty hard to fathom that Korey Banks...a player that only retired last year....suddenly found out that multiple concussion could have serious consequences. Either he was living under a rock, or missed the media blitz in Canada about concussions since Eric Lindros took his ball and went home. He would have to be the stupidest, or most ignorant guy on the planet to not know any of this stuff. Conspiracy to hide it from him? What....does he need it tattooed on his damn forehead? Since I was 4 years old, long before concussion protocol came around, I knew...and everyone I know knew that repeated blows to the head would eventually turn your brain to mush.

Or he had a CFL-employed doctor telling him he "would be fine, ignore the reports, it's media sensationalism".  Who would you believe, your doctor or "the media blitz"?

There is no judge in the world that will fold a league on a class action lawsuit. Asking for 200 million is more than the worth of all CFL teams combined. Banks and his buddy are idiots. Maybe there is a kernel of legitimacy to their claims but the dollar amount is completely ridiculous. Where does Kory Banks think the CFL is going to get 200m. IDIOT. I hope he never graces us with his presence on this side of the border again. Just an ass clown.

The dollar figure is irrelevant.  The CFL doesn't have $2 million, let alone $200 million.  But the insurance company that guards against liability for the CFL... well they have $200 million, easily.

There is something to be said for a suit like this one if, and only if, teams and the league knew that there was an issue and either lied to the players or willfully allowed players to play/practice while injured.  I really doubt that either of those things is the case, so good luck with the suit.  By the way, as I understand it, the dollar figure provided by the "plaintiff" has to be demonstrated.  In other words, show us how your group is out 200,000,000 dollars.  Punitive damages are different, of course, so I would think that to slap the league that amount of punitive damage would only be done in the case of wonton disregard for the safety of players.   Again, good luck with that one.

This smacks of Kory trying to see if the can squeeze a bit more money (via negotiated settlement) out of a dead career.  He's probably going to find that the only person who might benefit from this silliness is his lawyer.

Allen played for the Argos for 4 years which is more than a "cup of coffee."  Whether you've heard of him or not doesn't really make a difference.

The basis for the timeline comes from research that was available at the time.

From the article:

Lawyers for Allen and Banks said CFL officials as early as 1952 knew about the harmful effects of multiple concussions, thanks to research published in medical journals such as The New England Journal of Medicine.

I think that in 1952 the only thing that was known about brain injury was that if you get hit on the head hard enough it can be bad.  No clue as to how to treat it, duration of the injury, long term issues etc.  It's not what the lawyer claims, it's what he can prove.  And it's about how much billing he can generate. Prove that the medical community had reached a consensus about concussions and their treatment in the 50's 60's and 70's?  Ya sure.  Even in the 80's and 90's there still seemed to be disagreement about the severity of repeat concussions and how to best deal with it.  Best of luck councillor.