TC Report - Day Four

It's always funny hearing about Jordan Reaves. Nobody wants to stick their neck out and say that he could make the team as one of our Canadian receivers. Everything I've heard or seen of him has been glowing thus far. :ph34r:

It's always funny hearing about Jordan Reaves. Nobody wants to stick their neck out and say that he could make the team as one of our Canadian receivers. Everything I've heard or seen of him has been glowing thus far. :ph34r:

I have attended the rookie camp and Day 1 TC. Reaves is not looking entirely out of place, but he has a long way to go before he hits the field as a receiver. He is working hard and is a great athlete but needs a ton of work on route running and gaining position on DBs. He is better than I thought he would be, but he isn't going to win a job as a receiver imo. ALL the NI receivers have looked better than him so far. The glowing reports coming for him are more a matter of lower expectations and people realizing he is a project.

I was noticing the same thing. Every time anyone talks about Reaves its the same "Looks great out there, maybe in 2023 he'll be good enough to play". ???

I think the hesitation would be that most of the fans here know they don't know enough to know how good a pro Reaves is. Easy to spot a guy who can run fast and jump high and catch the ball and be an athlete, harder to tell if he's a pro and doing what the coaches want and doing it well enough to contribute in a game. In a one on one drill a pure athlete can stand out easy, if he doesn't have all the nuances you need in a game setting doesn't really matter if you're the best athlete out there. 

O'Shea says Bryant (lower body), Leggett (upper body) and Richards (lower body) are all day to day

At least with Richards we know it isn't a concussion.

He has had hammy problems in the past. Wouldn't surprise me if they are being cautious with him.

I was noticing the same thing. Every time anyone talks about Reaves its the same "Looks great out there, maybe in 2023 he'll be good enough to play". ???

I think the hesitation would be that most of the fans here know they don't know enough to know how good a pro Reaves is. Easy to spot a guy who can run fast and jump high and catch the ball and be an athlete, harder to tell if he's a pro and doing what the coaches want and doing it well enough to contribute in a game. In a one on one drill a pure athlete can stand out easy, if he doesn't have all the nuances you need in a game setting doesn't really matter if you're the best athlete out there. 

Maybe. However, what I saw in day one was after nearly every rep he took he would go directly to the coaches and they would be giving him advice on technique and route running. I think it is understood by the coaching staff and by Reaves that he is a project. He catches the ball well when he beats coverage, and is very fast. However, he was dominated by the DBs in one on ones.

O'Shea says Bryant (lower body), Leggett (upper body) and Richards (lower body) are all day to day

At least with Richards we know it isn't a concussion.

Not true. Lower body means "anything below the hair".

Try not to use Urban Dictionary for looking things up.

Okay. Just got back from training camp and finally back in the office. Today was the first day that coaches from the Winnipeg High School Football League were invited on the field to take in the practice. We were originally told to stick to the sidelines but MOS came over immediately and invited us on the field and to go ahead and focus on whatever position we were interested in. I tried to walk around a bit but was always drawn to the offensive line, running backs and offense as a whole.

I'll say this. we have some big boys on the Oline and Dline that can move very quickly. Watched some one on ones in the first sessions and while this is usually slanted towards defensive aggression, Coach Wiley had his boys fighting up a storm. Picard is an animal and while Chung may not be technically skilled yet, you can see him picking up tips from the coaching staff. Coach Wiley even came over to a couple of us coaches and gave us some tips that he uses to teach fundamentals. Awesome. Jace Daniels and Devin Tyler were getting some long looks with the first team Oline. Greaves is still in there but his relaxed nature definitely opens the door for some of the young guys to jump in a get a look. As Coach Wiley suggested, it don't mean s*** until game situations come into play.

As for receivers, Nick Moore looked amazing. If he stays healthy, he will easily be a league leader. Just so much speed after he catches the ball. Kris Bastien made a couple of nice grabs on some long balls and looks very quick as well. I only noticed L.Tunei once today as he fought off 2 defenders for a catch in the second half of practice (no shoulder pads for second half). Tunei does look to be a bigger guy but some of those DBs do as well so tough to tell from my vantage point.

Saw some nice catches from Adamas and Clemons as well. As for Jordan Reaves, man, i think he makes the team this year. He made some nice catches today, often adjusting to the DBs to get to the ball. He is a big strong kid. Maybe he is not running his routes 100% but from my sideline view, they sure were giving him every opportunity to figure it out.

QBs all looked good today I thought. There was a fairly good breeze going from West to East so that made the "across the field" throw either very easy or very hard. Truthfully, they all looked good. Not sure how Yantz makes this team as the top 4 all made some nice throws today. Running backs all had moments of shine today with Paris Cotton leading the way. Marshall and Scott both broke a couple of long ones too but its sometimes tough to tell if they would have broken free if the defense was given the chance to "light 'em up". Tough call.

Sherman filled in for Leggett and didn't look out of place. He is pretty vocal out there. Not as vocal as Coach Miles but close. Dline Coach commands a lot of respect. You can see that he wants them going hard all the time. Loved what Greg Peach does out there. He is fighting hard for his job. Great competition on the line.

I'll try to get out there again tomorrow. Let me know if there is anything in particular you want me to look at. Keep in mind, i think the second half of practice tomorrow is all special teams.

Okay. Just got back from training camp and finally back in the office. Today was the first day that coaches from the Winnipeg High School Football League were invited on the field to take in the practice. We were originally told to stick to the sidelines but MOS came over immediately and invited us on the field and to go ahead and focus on whatever position we were interested in. I tried to walk around a bit but was always drawn to the offensive line, running backs and offense as a whole.

I'll say this. we have some big boys on the Oline and Dline that can move very quickly. Watched some one on ones in the first sessions and while this is usually slanted towards defensive aggression, Coach Wiley had his boys fighting up a storm. Picard is an animal and while Chung may not be technically skilled yet, you can see him picking up tips from the coaching staff. Coach Wiley even came over to a couple of us coaches and gave us some tips that he uses to teach fundamentals. Awesome. Jace Daniels and Devin Tyler were getting some long looks with the first team Oline. Greaves is still in there but his relaxed nature definitely opens the door for some of the young guys to jump in a get a look. As Coach Wiley suggested, it don't mean s*** until game situations come into play.

As for receivers, Nick Moore looked amazing. If he stays healthy, he will easily be a league leader. Just so much speed after he catches the ball. Kris Bastien made a couple of nice grabs on some long balls and looks very quick as well. I only noticed L.Tunei once today as he fought off 2 defenders for a catch in the second half of practice (no shoulder pads for second half). Tunei does look to be a bigger guy but some of those DBs do as well so tough to tell from my vantage point.

Saw some nice catches from Adamas and Clemons as well. As for Jordan Reaves, man, i think he makes the team this year. He made some nice catches today, often adjusting to the DBs to get to the ball. He is a big strong kid. Maybe he is not running his routes 100% but from my sideline view, they sure were giving him every opportunity to figure it out.

QBs all looked good today I thought. There was a fairly good breeze going from West to East so that made the "across the field" throw either very easy or very hard. Truthfully, they all looked good. Not sure how Yantz makes this team as the top 4 all made some nice throws today. Running backs all had moments of shine today with Paris Cotton leading the way. Marshall and Scott both broke a couple of long ones too but its sometimes tough to tell if they would have broken free if the defense was given the chance to "light 'em up". Tough call.

Sherman filled in for Leggett and didn't look out of place. He is pretty vocal out there. Not as vocal as Coach Miles but close. Dline Coach commands a lot of respect. You can see that he wants them going hard all the time. Loved what Greg Peach does out there. He is fighting hard for his job. Great competition on the line.

I'll try to get out there again tomorrow. Let me know if there is anything in particular you want me to look at. Keep in mind, i think the second half of practice tomorrow is all special teams.

Please get there tomorrow :) This was a great analysis!