Season opener in Regina

retro

Bauer did some good things for the team but he is the reason Dave Ritchie was run out of town and we had to suffer through Jim Daley and he is the reason we had to suffer through MIke Kelly, I can not forgive those sins. 

Bauer is also the reason we even had a team after the Reinbold years left us teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. His strong-arming of creditors to forgive $5 million in loans saved the team from dying, so given the choice of team or no team at all, those other sins seem a lot easier to forgive, no? He is also the reason Ritchie was here in the first place, and coaches are ultimately hired to be fired, so a saw-off there in my opinion. I heard Ritchie had created a split in the locker room between "his guys" (rumoured to be the more religious types, and those who had Sunday dinners at his place, or something crazy like that) and "the outsiders" on the team. What role Bauer played in squashing that, or directing him out the door, I won't speculate on, so I'll take your word for it.

His blight will certainly be forcing out Doug Berry to personally hand Mike Kelly a head coaching job and essentially the keys to the whole shop, which then forced out Taman as collateral damage, and then bolted himself when it went south. THAT is much harder to forgive given how it all turned out for the Bombers (and Taman too) in hindsight. But he inherited a gawd-awful team (on the field) AND franchise (off it), salvaged them both, and at least kept the off-field half of it from falling back into serious disrepair on his way out.

So I can give him a lifetime pass for saving the franchise from financial ruin, although sometimes I'll say his name through clenched teeth when the phrase "handled internally, next question" comes up.

Bauer did some good things for the team but he is the reason Dave Ritchie was run out of town and we had to suffer through Jim Daley and he is the reason we had to suffer through MIke Kelly, I can not forgive those sins. 

Bauer is also the reason we even had a team after the Reinbold years left us teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. His strong-arming of creditors to forgive $5 million in loans saved the team from dying, so given the choice of team or no team at all, those other sins seem a lot easier to forgive, no? He is also the reason Ritchie was here in the first place, and coaches are ultimately hired to be fired, so a saw-off there in my opinion. I heard Ritchie had created a split in the locker room between "his guys" (rumoured to be the more religious types, and those who had Sunday dinners at his place, or something crazy like that) and "the outsiders" on the team. What role Bauer played in squashing that, or directing him out the door, I won't speculate on, so I'll take your word for it.

His blight will certainly be forcing out Doug Berry to personally hand Mike Kelly a head coaching job and essentially the keys to the whole shop, which then forced out Taman as collateral damage, and then bolted himself when it went south. THAT is much harder to forgive given how it all turned out for the Bombers (and Taman too) in hindsight. But he inherited a gawd-awful team (on the field) AND franchise (off it), salvaged them both, and at least kept the off-field half of it from falling back into serious disrepair on his way out.

So I can give him a lifetime pass for saving the franchise from financial ruin, although sometimes I'll say his name through clenched teeth when the phrase "handled internally, next question" comes up.

Ritchie was hired before Lyle Bauer, that's why they had friction. They were both guys who wanted to do things their way or the highway. I give Bauer credit for the work he did with the finances, but I think it's incorrect to assume that someone else couldn't have done similar. Bauer's legacy is tarnished because of Daley and Kelly and all the turmoil he put the team through. 

I give Bauer credit for the work he did with the finances, but I think it's incorrect to assume that someone else couldn't have done similar.

That's what I was going to say also.

It's Bauer's interference with the actual football operations that derailed our team...for a long period of time.

I give Bauer credit for the work he did with the finances, but I think it's incorrect to assume that someone else couldn't have done similar.

That's what I was going to say also.

It's Bauer's interference with the actual football operations that derailed our team...for a long period of time.

Fair points, both of you. And thanks for correcting me on the hiring time frame. My bad.

Don't know if it was mentioned but Dressler and Brackenridge will not be playing Saturday vs Winnipeg. I'll take any type of advantage we can get.

I'm surprised the Riders would announce this so early prior to the game, as it allows the Bombers to adjust their game plan.  Could this be a smokescreen? 

Don't know if it was mentioned but Dressler and Brackenridge will not be playing Saturday vs Winnipeg. I'll take any type of advantage we can get.

source? heard they did not pratice yestersday but today was a closed one in regina