Season opener in Regina

retro

No I remember it now, There was definitely at least one ball late in the Banjo Bowl that Willy tried to force that was turned over. 

as far as getting quicker at throwing, I think players can definitely improve that aspect, but Willy to me seems to be the kind of guy that likes to use every second that you give him. You give him more time he'll just take that time. Coaches will likely have to convince him that he needs to make a conscious effort to be quicker. 

The Banjo Bowl game was not as close as the score indicates. The 'Riders were up 27-8 at the half as a result of a blocked field goal touchdown return and a Dressler punt return TD because of an absolutely brutal missed call by the refs on a blatant hold. The Bombers only got back into it when Durant got knocked out with the elbow injury. But the 'Riders exposed the bad o-line (5 sacks) and weak run defence (196 yards, 6.3 yards per carry) that gave every other team a blueprint on how to beat Winnipeg for the rest of the year. Only a late fumble gave the Bombers a chance to steal the win, but Willy threw deep on first down and overthrew the receiver for an INT. Another late turnover gave him another shot, but this pass was even more forced and another INT. To be fair, he was being rushed all second half on his passes due to poor protection, but those throws were on him (which he admitted afterwards). Hopefully he won't be shell-shocked from all of the hits he took last year and he will display the patience he showed in the early comeback wins, and it goes without saying the line protection needs to be 100% better this year to give him any chance.

Hey that reminds me what happened to the Bomber that got sidelined for the rest of the season after getting a season ending injury that happened very early in the season

They sent him into space to see how injured football players react to zero gravity.

No I remember it now, There was definitely at least one ball late in the Banjo Bowl that Willy tried to force that was turned over. 

as far as getting quicker at throwing, I think players can definitely improve that aspect, but Willy to me seems to be the kind of guy that likes to use every second that you give him. You give him more time he'll just take that time. Coaches will likely have to convince him that he needs to make a conscious effort to be quicker. 

The Banjo Bowl game was not as close as the score indicates. The 'Riders were up 27-8 at the half as a result of a blocked field goal touchdown return and a Dressler punt return TD because of an absolutely brutal missed call by the refs on a blatant hold. The Bombers only got back into it when Durant got knocked out with the elbow injury. But the 'Riders exposed the bad o-line (5 sacks) and weak run defence (196 yards, 6.3 yards per carry) that gave every other team a blueprint on how to beat Winnipeg for the rest of the year. Only a late fumble gave the Bombers a chance to steal the win, but Willy threw deep on first down and overthrew the receiver for an INT. Another late turnover gave him another shot, but this pass was even more forced and another INT. To be fair, he was being rushed all second half on his passes due to poor protection, but those throws were on him (which he admitted afterwards). Hopefully he won't be shell-shocked from all of the hits he took last year and he will display the patience he showed in the early comeback wins, and it goes without saying the line protection needs to be 100% better this year to give him any chance.

Sounds to me like you described a close game.... It doesn't matter that the Riders were up at half time, this is the CFL, we've seen it countless times where one team can come out hard at first but then the game winds up close. Games are 60 minutes long for a reason. The run D problems were only really a problem on Labour Day. For all the rushing yards in the other games the Riders didn't have much to show for it and it was Bomber turnovers on offense or special teams play that did more damage on the scoreboard than the Riders running the ball. 

Burke was the worst by far. No skills at all to be a head coach. Some guys are terrible in a few areas, he was in every way imaginable.

And this is why, even though I'll defend Joe Mack in a lot of areas, I will always say his greatest flaw was hiring coaches...

I will disagree strongly here. I'm not going to jump up and down and praise Tim Burke, so no one try to twist my words here, but remember that he was handed the position as head coach after LaPolice was fired. He was not hired to be the head coach, he inherited the position, and as the defensive coach many of the same posters on this board who rip him now loved him and felt he should take over from LaPolice before the firing occurred. He was handed a sinking ship by an obstinate GM who bristled at any perceived or actual criticism (true story: I was invited to a pre-season Bomber luncheon where Bob Irving was emceeing and he referenced the struggles of the 2012 season to the crowd and said "Good luck Joe Mack, hopefully we'll see better times ahead this year". Mack barked back "Gee, thanks, Bob" in the most dismissive, sarcastic way he could, and then under his breath - but not so quietly that I couldn't hear him the next table over - something that sounded a lot like "glass bowl") and stubbornly held to the belief that his way, which was opposite to everyone else's thinking, had to be the right way. Burke had seen Mack throw LaPo under the bus for his failed roster, saw the players assembled by Mack not giving any effort, and decided to preserve his own future career by calling out those lazy players. Unprofessional, sure, but it was in keeping with the whole tone of the organization at that time.

A Bomber beat reporter went into the locker room after a tough loss just before the week long bye (this was I believe just before LaPo got the axe) and said that 25% percent of the players were upset about the loss, 25% were laughing and goofing off, talking about where they were going to go drinking that night, and 50% had their packed bags with them and were talking about their plans for the week off starting that minute. That tells you a lot about the attitude and commitment of that team right there. That assembling of "talent" falls on Joe Mack and Joe Mack alone, who though bringing in "athletes" and not football players was the way to build a team. Burke did not rise above that mess, for sure, but that does not make him anywhere near "the worst Bomber coach by far". It just makes him an astute judge of player talent and character (or lack thereof in this case) who recognized that he was next to get thrown under the bus by his GM and refused to roll over and die, but instead called out those players (and by extension, his GM) to keep alive the hope of coaching in the future. That stance, however unseemly, got him re-hired in Montreal.

The stink of that Bomber regime will forever rest on the shoulders of Joe Mack. But, as was so eloquently put by saskbluefan 2 years ago in another post:

"The thing is there are a lot of people on this board with so much credibility capital wrapped up in Joe Mack that they can't admit what a dog of a roster this is.  So whatever shortcomings Burke may have need to be blown 10x out of proportion in order to blame him rather then the lack of talent on this team for the disaster this year has become."

And I'd put Mack's flaws in drafting, player assessment, letting free agents walk, failure to stockpile Canadian talent, inability to find a long term solution at quarterback or a back-up plan in place in the event of a Buck Pierce injury, and his overall refusal to learn from his own mistakes ahead of his acumen in hiring coaches. But we can agree to disagree.

Sounds to me like you described a close game.... It doesn't matter that the Riders were up at half time, this is the CFL, we've seen it countless times where one team can come out hard at first but then the game winds up close. Games are 60 minutes long for a reason. The run D problems were only really a problem on Labour Day. For all the rushing yards in the other games the Riders didn't have much to show for it and it was Bomber turnovers on offense or special teams play that did more damage on the scoreboard than the Riders running the ball. 

This is the way I remember it. The Bombers played well enough to win at least two of those games games but for ill-advised turnovers. The run game would have meant nothing without those turnovers.

My biggest regret was that those games were against Sask. and fed the frenzy that is Rider BS. 

Their payback was the loss of Durant, which effectively nullified any playoff hopes.

Even now his injury is ????

2005 was a real bad year for the bombers, the Euphoria of Tim Daly ran out fast and was gone by bye week or something, and we got Doug Berry (I miss him as a coach, he lasted the second longest in 25 years (amazing that Dave Ritchie lasted as long as he did, five and a half seasons) I still don't understand why Berry was canned in 2008, the Bombers went to the playoffs even though we didn't go to the grey cup)

The last season opener in Regina was in 2005 I believe, and the game was delayed due to some cataclysmic downpour.  Then the Riders took the opening kick-off back for a TD.  First play of the season.  It was all downhill from there. What a crappy season that was.

I was there.  

Me too. That downpour was nuts (the game was almost cancelled due to thunderstorm) and I wasn't dressed for it. Was shivering the whole game and there was nothing to cheer for.  :angry:

2005 was a real bad year for the bombers, the Euphoria of Tim Daly ran out fast and was gone by bye week or something, and we got Doug Berry (I miss him as a coach, he lasted the second longest in 25 years (amazing that Dave Ritchie lasted as long as he did, five and a half seasons) I still don't understand why Berry was canned in 2008, the Bombers went to the playoffs even though we didn't go to the grey cup)

There was euphoria around Tim Daly?

Wings was a huge show in the early 1990's, but other than that Tim Daly hasn't done much.

Run D was a problem against Saskatchewan all year, and their success gave other teams a simple game plan to beat us the rest of the way throughout the season. Don't equate rushing TD's as the only measure of success in a run game. Ability to control the clock, wear down the defence, keep the opposing team's offence off the field, and physically and psychologically beat down the opponent with a power game by controlling the line of scrimmage battle. And as for the 'Riders "not having much to show for" all of their rushing yards, they did have 3 wins and 0 losses against Winnipeg last year to show for it, so there's that.

Actually, in terms of yards allowed, the Labour Day game was the Bombers best against the 'Riders. The stats for the year bear out the argument that Saskatchewan exposed the Bomber run game and other teams followed suit after that as a simple game plan to follow to beat us.

Week 1 vs Tor: 42 yards/8 carries (5.25 avg.)

Week 2 vs Ott: 86 yards/18 carries (4.78 avg.)

Week 3 at Mtl: 102 yards/22 carries (4.64 avg.)

Week 4 vs Edm: 192 yards/30 carries (6.40 avg.) - NOTE: QB Mike Reilly accounted for 96 of those yards

Week 5 at BC: 100 yards/20 carries (5.00 avg.)

Week 6 at Ham: 49 yards/12 carries (4.08 avg.)

Week 7 vs Sask: 186 yards/29 carries (6.41 avg.)

Week 8  at Tor: 174 yards/25 carries (6.96 avg.)

Week 9 vs Mtl: 91 yards/25 carries (3.64 avg.)

Week 10 at Sask: 160 yards/29 carries (5.52 avg.)

Week 11 vs Sask: 196 yards/31 carries (6.32 avg.)

Week 12 at BC: 163 yards/26 carries (6.27 avg.)

Week 14 vs Ham: 58 yards/11 carries (5.27 avg.)

Week 15 at Ott: 188 yards/24 carries (7.83 avg.)

Week 16 at Edm: 155 yards/29 carries (5.34 avg.)

Week 17 vs Cal: 195 yards/30 carries (6.50 avg.)

Week 18 vs BC: 95 yards/28 carries (3.39 avg.)

Week 19 at Cal: 217 yards/24 carries (9.04 avg.)

Saying that run D was only a problem in the Labour Day game is shortsighted, in my view.

Mack hired coaches based on their technical abilities, not on the ability to lead men.

Mack hired coaches based on the candidates that required the least amount of work be done in finding and vetting them. Did he even look at anyone else other than Burke?
lol if there was a random guy passed out on Mack's driveway wearing a t-shirt that had the word "coach" on it, Mack would have hired him.

Wings was a huge show in the early 1990's, but other than that Tim Daly hasn't done much.

Basically what Daly did was get us through the rest of the 2004 season, but then sucked very badly in the next season (just like Tim Burke) I spelled something wrong in one of those quotes didn't I?

okay I guess fans must have thought he was a saving grace but then ended up being a real letdown (same thing as Lapo, sure he sucked his first season here, pretty surprised that he even got a second season but that ended up turning well #RememberSwaggerville)

Never going to Regina for a game again! Something stupid always happens...those cow lovers suck! Always fun but not worth it anymore.

I shouldn't say never I guess as I do plan to attend a LDC once their new stadium is built.

Hahaha. What, tired of the action?

..........me too.

remember when I almost lost an eye?

haha...you mean when you burned yourself with the flaming towel...??? lmao...pure genuis

Good times. Good times. Hahahaha.

or that jerk who wouldn't let me into my seat?

Yes, Ritchie's skids were greased by Bauer publicly stating before the season, that anything less than a cup appearance would be a fail.   Dave didn't (OK, never) liked playing the "younguns" and when a bunch of vets went into the tank, badly....particularly during a disastrous Alberta trip (2 ugly blowouts)  well, that was all she wrote for Ritchie.   Bauer having got what he wanted, was content to go cheap and easy, simply running with Daley, who was a great guy and father figure.....  but really a clueless HC.