UFA and RFA

Ducky

Lawless on 1290 right now...

Says Byfuglien will "probably be too much and have to be moved"

On Ladd, says Dustin Brown deal is likely what Ladds camp is looking for. Both sides will know that's not happening. Lawless figures they settle at 6 yrs and $6M per.

Lawless on 1290 right now...

Says Byfuglien will "probably be too much and have to be moved"

On Ladd, says Dustin Brown deal is likely what Ladds camp is looking for. Both sides will know that's not happening. Lawless figures they settle at 6 yrs and $6M per.

I'd be fine with both of these scenarios.  Sign Ladd and trade Buff BEFORE the season.

Also, isnt Lawless on vacation?  He must have received some "news"...

I've heard some pretty strong rumours that buff is ok with a 3 or 4 year deal.. not sure of the money tho...

Ladd has to be signed and will be soon i'd imagine, 6 or 7 x 6 is fair for Ladd. He's the Captain, leader of the team on and off the ice. Good guy to have around and in a few years once the kids are ready to actually take over, ladd can always be bumped down to the third line and play less minutes. 

He scored 62 points playing hurt for a good part of the season while playing a sound defensive game. He is the team captain and and a respected leader around the league. He stays in the game after being hurt.......... Here are some player's salaries that scored 62 points last year.

Parise 7.5m

Carter 5.25m

Spezza 7.5

Ribiero 3.5

Wheeler and Kessel at 61 points pulled in 5.6 and 8 respectively.

Eberle at 6 and Vrbata at 5 had 63 points.

Which one of these players are as defensively sound as Ladd?

He would get 7x7 on the open market next year.

6.5 for 6, let's get it done and move on to Buff.

He scored 62 points playing hurt for a good part of the season while playing a sound defensive game. He is the team captain and and a respected leader around the league. He stays in the game after being hurt.......... Here are some player's salaries that scored 62 points last year.

Parise 7.5m

Carter 5.25m

Spezza 7.5

Ribiero 3.5

I would like to see the ages of the players and their point production at the time they signed those deals though. ******* Ladd is 29 years old, you don't commit to guys that age for 7 years at that big a ticket, especialyl when some of your teams most interesting prospects are high end talent wingers. You wanna pay Ladd 7 million per year when he's 35 and pushed down the lineup to 3rd line minutes? 

Parise 7.5m

Carter 5.25m

Spezza 7.5

Ribiero 3.5

I would like to see the ages of the players and their point production at the time they signed those deals though. ******* Ladd is 29 years old, you don't commit to guys that age for 7 years at that big a ticket, especialyl when some of your teams most interesting prospects are high end talent wingers. You wanna pay Ladd 7 million per year when he's 35 and pushed down the lineup to 3rd line minutes? 

So let him walk?

Parise 7.5m

Carter 5.25m

Spezza 7.5

Ribiero 3.5

So let him walk?

If the only option is 7 x 7 or walk, then yes...you absolutely let him walk. And, again, I'm a huge Ladd fan going back to the 2010 Hawks team, which is one of my all time favourite teams.

Luckily for Jets fans, that's not the only option. They'll work out a declining structure. Something more in the range of 25-30 mil over 5 years...

5-6 years at arund $6 seems reasonable.  And if they have the salary dropping over time, then you're not looking at a 36 year old making $7m, you're looking at a 36 year old making $3m or whatever.  Which is more reasonable.

Although at 35 or 36 years old, he might be the type of player a competitive Jets team would be looking to add for a playoff run if they didnt already have him.  So I'd say there should still be value in him at that age.  But time will tell.

even 6 years 6 million is too much for my blood for Ladd. If he wants that kind of money 4 or maybe 5 years tops. 

Well then say bye to Ladd.  Jets can have fun with whatever plug gets unearthed in free agency next year to fill his spot.  Here's a spoiler, the new player will be worse than Ladd.

even 6 years 6 million is too much for my blood for Ladd. If he wants that kind of money 4 or maybe 5 years tops. 

Why do you think thats too much?  Consistent goal scorer.  Consistent point producer.  Advanced stats shows he drives offensive play and makes his linemates better.  He hardly misses games.  He's in his prime.  He has two cups.  He's the captain.  I think $6m is about fair market value.  And if we agree $5.5 is better, you're also buying X amount of years of Free Agency and rewarding him for intangibles of leadership and loyalty.

I think there is something to how you treat players.  Doesnt mean over-paying (I think we all agree Little would get more on the open market).  But if they played hard ball with the Captain, players will remember that.  If both sides negotiate in good faith, it means something.

Why do you think thats too much?  Consistent goal scorer.  Consistent point producer.  Advanced stats shows he drives offensive play and makes his linemates better.  He hardly misses games.  He's in his prime.  He has two cups.  He's the captain.  I think $6m is about fair market value.  And if we agree $5.5 is better, you're also buying X amount of years of Free Agency and rewarding him for intangibles of leadership and loyalty.

I think there is something to how you treat players.  Doesnt mean over-paying (I think we all agree Little would get more on the open market).  But if they played hard ball with the Captain, players will remember that.  If both sides negotiate in good faith, it means something.

That right there is why. Sure Ladd now is worth it, Ladd getting to 35 years old though? No sir. There's going to be a drop coming, You give Ladd a long deal at big money you're going to regret it by the last few years. Especially with Canada heading to a recession and the dollar dropping, that'll affect how much the cap rises. Just because Buffalo handed out stupid contracts to guys like O'Reilly doesn't mean the Jets should do the same. I'd say a deal like that for Ladd would be similar to the deal the Oilers gave Horcoff a while back and it was a terrible deal in the long run because it was too much for too long for a guy poised to start into the back part of his career. 

Well neither one of us can predict the future.  But a 35 year old Ladd who scores 20 goals, is captain and leader and makes the 2nd or 3rd line better for $6 might be the market value or even a bargain in 5 years.  Who knows.

But it works both ways.  If Ladd at 35 is worth $4m and Ladd at 29 is worth $7m, then you split the difference.  There's probably greater upside in a 29 and 30 and 31 year old Ladd then there is downside in a 35 or 36 year old Ladd.  I would suspect he will be a very good contributing 3rd line winger at 35/36.  Id over spent half a million a year rather then lose Ladd right now.

But what about the other players on the roster who will need raises? Have you seen the price of doing business with defencemen lately? The key for Ladd will be a deal that takes him to 34 maybe 35. After that you don't want the guy still on a big ticket contract. I can't see him being in demand enough around the league that someone else will give him that much for that long. He's got more value to the Jets in my eyes than he would anywhere else. Gotta be smart about contracts you give these days or else you wind up like Boston selling good young players for pennies on the dollar because you're in a cap crunch. 

If I'm the Jets, I don't like more than 4 or 5 years, max, in term for Ladd, and I'd say an AAV of 5-5.5m. Start him at 6, but it's gotta get lower as he goes. You don't wanna be paying this guy more  than 3 or 4 TOPS by the end of his deal...