UFA and RFA

Ducky

USAtoday on top 25 UFA's:

But there will be plenty of buyers when the market opens Wednesday. A look at the top 25 unrestricted free agents:

1. Defenseman Mike Green (Washington Capitals): Several teams are looking for an offensive defenseman and Green is the best one available. He's 29 and he could be a 50- to 60-point defenseman if he signs with the right team. Good fit: New Jersey Devils. Having a puck-mover like Green would make them more dangerous.

2. Center Antoine Vermette (Chicago Blackhawks): With centers in short supply, Vermette, 32, should have a number of suitors. When he was traded by the Arizona Coyotes to the Blackhawks, he had trouble adjusting last season. But he scored two game-winning goals in the Stanley Cup Final. He's a strong two-way center who can win a big faceoff. Good fit: Coyotes. Vermette played his best hockey there.

3. Center Mike Ribeiro (Nashville Predators): Considering the Predators gave Ribeiro a chance after the Coyotes dropped him because of off-ice behavior, it was assumed he would re-sign with them. But it hasn't happened yet, and Ribeiro, 35, might end up as a free agent. He had 62 points last season. Good fit: Carolina Hurricanes. They need an offensive spark.

4. Left wing Matt Beleskey (Anaheim Ducks): At 28, Beleskey is in the prime of his career. He scored 22 goals last season. His previous high was 11. Has he blossomed into a consistent 20-goal scorer or did he have a career season? That's what NHL teams have to decide. Good fit: Devils. They need scoring.

5. Right wing Michael Frolik (Winnipeg Jets): Frolik is a good all-around hockey player who had 19 goals last season. He can kill penalties and understands the defensive side of the game. He's 27. Good fit: Ducks. They're looking to replace Beleskey and Kyle Palmieri.

6. Defenseman Andrej Sekera (Los Angeles Kings): The Kings wanted to keep Sekera but didn't have the cap space. He has the tools to help a quality offensive team. Good fit: Colorado Avalanche. Joe Sakic is looking for a blue-chip defenseman.

7. Left wing Drew Stafford (Jets): He's 29 and has scored as many as 31 goals in a season. He has 19 points in 26 games after he was traded from Buffalo to Winnipeg last season: Good fit: Jets. They would like to re-sign him.

8. Defenseman Cody Franson (Predators): He didn't play well for the Predators, but he has shown he can be a 40- to 50-point defenseman. He's 6-5 and weighs 220. Good fit: Edmonton Oilers. At 27, Franson is young enough to be part of the Oilers' future with Connor McDavid and company.

9. Right wing Martin St. Louis (New York Rangers): At 40, St. Louis is not the dominant player he once was. He had a disappointing playoff, but he did score 21 goals last season. Presuming St. Louis is willing to accept a one-year deal with a low base salary and a strong bonus package, he could be a good roll of the dice. Good fit: Pittsburgh Penguins. St. Louis might be a good fit for Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin.

10. Justin Williams (Kings): Williams has three Stanley Cup championship rings — two with the Kings and one with the Hurricanes. Williams, 33, has a history of producing in the playoffs. He's good for 18 to 20 goals a season. Good fit: Boston Bruins. They say they aren't rebuilding. If that's true, they will need to replace traded Milan Lucic's goals.

11. Defenseman Francois Beauchemin (Ducks): The only negative about Beauchemin is he is 35. He's a desirable, all-around defenseman. He boasts a hard shot. He defends aggressively and he has bite to his game. Most of the contenders would be interested in him. Good fit: Ducks. They need him.

12. Defenseman Johnny Oduya (Blackhawks): At 33, Oduya is a very effective defensive defenseman. He is a second-pairing guy who is comfortable playing against the NHL's top-line players. Many teams will be interested. Good fit: Kings. With suspended Slava Voynov's status still unknown, the Kings need another defender.

13. Defenseman Paul Martin (Penguins): At 34, Martin probably can't command a long-term deal. But that means he probably will have more interested parties. He's an effective one-on-one defender. Good fit: Bruins. They have to replace Dougie Hamilton. Martin might be a quality short-term solution.

14. Defenseman Christian Ehrhoff (Penguins): He has been a 50-point offensive defenseman in the past. At 32, he is probably a 40-point guy. Good fit: San Jose Sharks. He started his career there, and they would benefit from his abilities.

15. Center Mike Richards (Kings): The Kings put him on waivers for the purpose of buying out his contract. Unquestionably, Richards has been a disappointment in LA. But he will get his buyout money and then sign a modest contract and be a gritty No. 4 center for some team. Good fit: Coyotes. They could give him a chance to rebuild his reputation. They need help at center

16. Center-wing Eric Fehr (Capitals): He's 6-4 and you can count on him for 15-plus goals every season. He had 19 this season. He was at $1.6 million and he's looking for a raise. Good fit: Vancouver Canucks. They're looking to supplement their secondary scoring.

17. Right wing Joel Ward (Capitals): He scored 19 goals at 34 and is the role player general managers are looking for at the trade deadline: Good fit: Calgary Flames. They are looking to fine-tune their roster.

18. Defenseman Zbynek Michalek (St. Louis Blues): With 711 NHL games on his résumé, Michalek, 32, is the veteran defenseman that every team is seeking. Good fit: Toronto Maple Leafs. Even a rebuilding team needs veteran defenders.

19. Center Mike Santorelli (Predators): The versatile role player can chip in 12 to 15 goals. He understands his role and could be an inexpensive source of NHL experience. Good fit: Coyotes. They have to spend to get to the salary cap floor.

20. Center Shawn Matthias (Canucks): At 6-4, 216, Matthias can offer size and third-line effectiveness. He scored 18 goals last season. Good fit: Capitals. They will be looking to replace Fehr.

21. Center Brad Richards (Blackhawks): At 35, he is still a sharp passer and reads the play extremely well. He can still contribute to a high-powered offense. Good fit: Blackhawks. They would probably re-sign him if he is willing to sign a one-year deal for a modest salary.

22. Right wing Chris Stewart (Minnesota Wild): He's 6-2, 231 and he once scored 28 goals for the Colorado Avalanche. Coaches are always left wanting more from Stewart, but he is 27 and he does enough to draw interest. Good fit: Florida Panthers. They can use size and goals.

23. Left wing Curtis Glencross (Capitals): He has proved that he can generate 40 or more points per season. Given the league-wide need for secondary scoring, Glencross has value. Good fit: Hurricanes. They have to score more this season or they will fall to the very bottom.

24. Goaltender Karri Ramo (Flames): Ramo has had some stretches when he looks like he could be a No. 1 goalie. Good fit: Sharks. They are the only team that doesn't have a projected No. 1 goalie.

25. Defenseman Barret Jackman (Blues): Jackman would be a safe pickup for a contending team looking solidify its defense. He's a stay-at-home defender who plays with intensity. Good fit: Blackhawks. He could be a dependable No. 6 for them. They will be looking for a veteran because they will be losing Oduya and Michal Rozsival.

Anyone look good to the Jets there?

Can't see the Jets being all that active in the top free agents this year.  Money will go to Ladd and possibly Buff.  They will likely look for a deal in the secondary wave of players like they got with Perreault last year,.

I've always been a fan of Vermette with his face-off abilities, but with Little / Sheifele / Lowry as our top 3 centres, not sure he would be worth the money he is going to want.  He will likely be in the Frolik range and would you rather have kept Frolik than Vermette?

Sekera, Beauchemin, Oduya, Martin, Ehrhoff, and Jackman are all left handed D.  I wonder if you could sign one of them to play in the top 4 D and trade Buff.  Beauchemin and Martin are probably too old for what the Jets are looking for, then again maybe they can bridge a couple of years before Morrissey moves in.

If we don't re-sign Stafford, than I think we definitely have to be in the market for at least one top 6 forward to step in for the loss of Frolik / Stafford.

I wonder if there will be any interest in Mike Richards with his hometown being so close.  Not sure he is much more than a 4th liner now, and is that centre spot reserved for Copp?

I wouldn't waste my time watching the "frenzy" tho. I honestly don't think that the jets will do anything

Even if the Jets don't sign anyone day 1, I still find it fascinating the deals other teams give to players on free agent day.  I am also very curious who other teams in our division and conference sign.

Don't think it is a waste of time at all.  It is a fun way to pass the time at work, checking in and who was signed and for what.

Wasn't Lawless pumping Richard's tires last off season?

Frolik and Stafford would be my two targets on that list, maybe Glencross but he'll want same $$/term as Frolik...

Saw one list that said Del Zotto was an FA - injury prone though

Still say we end up with Jay Beagle, Paille or that type of talent

Lots of talk of Richards here a year or two ago when everyone with at least half a brain saw him as a Compliance Buyout.  Only the Kings thought differently and now they will pay for it.  I think Lawless was pushing Richards as a trade target if the Kings ate a bunch of salary.  Saw him as a good fit for the 3rd/4th line, grit and playoff experience.  That idea had merit.

But bringing him now for a one or two year deal, I dont see where he fits.  Even if he's better than Copp in the short term, I think we need to develop Copp who people say is NHL ready right now.  And Im not convinced Richards is better than Copp anymore.

Pens Blogger:

There are rumors that Toronto is willing to retain 2M of Kessel's salary in a trade. My response to that is it will increase the amount of teams that are interested and it also jacks up the asking price. For Pittsburgh that means something like Olli Maatta, Kasperi Kapanen, and 2016 first round pick. While Phil Kessel does have an extensive no-trade clause it doesn't mean he can't waive it. Some things to keep in mind as the rumors continue to swirl about Kessel/Pittsburgh.

Am I crazy or is that an over-payment for Kessel?

Pens Blogger:

There are rumors that Toronto is willing to retain 2M of Kessel's salary in a trade. My response to that is it will increase the amount of teams that are interested and it also jacks up the asking price. For Pittsburgh that means something like Olli Maatta, Kasperi Kapanen, and 2016 first round pick. While Phil Kessel does have an extensive no-trade clause it doesn't mean he can't waive it. Some things to keep in mind as the rumors continue to swirl about Kessel/Pittsburgh.

Am I crazy or is that an over-payment for Kessel?

37 , 20 , 37 , 32

80 , 52, 82 , 64

Those are Kessel's goals and point totals over the last 4 years.  The 52 point season was in the 48 game shortened lockout.   He has also never missed a game in those 4 years.

He is 27 years old, so just entering his prime, and signed for the next 7 years.  Not exactly sure how cap hit works when someone eats $2M off the salary (cap hit is AAV), but his cap hit is $8M right now, would go down to like $6M for retained salary.

Someone will easily pay that for him  You just can't get players who are capable of putting up those numbers.

Is a head case?   Maybe.  Be interesting to see him on a stronger team not in the Toronto media.

Would I want the Jets to trade for him?  Would I give up a Trouba, Ehlers, and 1st round pick?   Probably not.

So is this not a buy out?  What the heck happened?

“The Los Angeles Kings today have exercised the team's right to terminate the contract of Mike Richards for a material breach of the requirements of his Standard Player's Contract. We are not prepared to provide any more detail or to discuss the underlying grounds for the contract termination at this time.”

Andrew Paterson @hustlerama

Wow is the Mike Richards saga ever ending badly in LA. I won't offer any theories but it sure looks like this will be an extra ugly divorce

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod · 2m2 minutes ago
Kings took information they received on Richards on Friday and moved forward on it. They are very confident in their findings.

Los Angeles' VP of hockey operations/director of player personnel Mike Futa was on The Fan 590 in Toronto Monday morning, before news of Richards' contract termination was released:

"(Dean Lombardi) flew into Kenora and looked Mike in the eye and felt it was comfortable we were going to have him buy in a little bit better, but it just didn’t work out…He’s the one who’s got to look in the mirror in regards to his decision.”

Article 14 of the collective bargaining agreement says a contract can be terminated if a player shall "fail, refuse or neglect to obey the Club's rules governing training and conduct of Players."

Kings GM Dean Lombardi met with Richards at his summer home in Kenora, Ont., at that time before electing not to use a compliance buyout on the remainder of his deal.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-terminate-mike-richards-contract-cite-breach/

This is going to be a long drawn out court battle with the NHLPA.  You wonder if it was lack of training or something more going on with Richards behind the scenes.