UFA and RFA

Ducky

Who would you go after if you were Chevy and you only have one to choose? Cannot have rights owned by Jets in 2014-2015.

For me, the RFA would be Huberdeau.

Not many UFAs worth chasing this year but I think it would be Andrej Meszaros.

25m for 6 years for Huberdeau and 15m for 4 years for Meszaros.

RFA is a pipe dream. Tarasenko, Huberdeau? Lol those teams aren't letting those guys walk.

Really soft free agent market this year. All I want is for us to re-sign Stafford and maybe Frolik and Stempniak if the price is right. Continue to build from within.

Of course they're not, but he asked which one I'd want.

Sure I'd love to have Tarasenko here as well.  There are plenty of really talented young RFA's out there though.  Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, Kuznetsov, Brock Nelson, Braden Holtby.  I'd love to have any of those guys.

As for UFA's I would look for a forward with some experience.  I'm thinking Joel Ward, Justin Williams, or Brad Richards.  Yeah they are all guys in their mid-30s but they can all still play and would help balance out some of the young guys who might be  coming up to the big club next year.

Who would you go after if you were Chevy and you only have one to choose? Cannot have rights owned by Jets in 2014-2015.

For me, the RFA would be Huberdeau.

Not many UFAs worth chasing this year but I think it would be Andrej Meszaros.

25m for 6 years for Huberdeau and 15m for 4 years for Meszaros.

Sure I'd love to have Tarasenko here as well.  There are plenty of really talented young RFA's out there though.  Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, Kuznetsov, Brock Nelson, Braden Holtby.  I'd love to have any of those guys.

As for UFA's I would look for a forward with some experience.  I'm thinking Joel Ward, Justin Williams, or Brad Richards.  Yeah they are all guys in their mid-30s but they can all still play and would help balance out some of the young guys who might be  coming up to the big club next year.

Based on that list of RFAs I would take Holtby in a heartbeat... Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, and Taresenko are great players but they wouldn't be as significant an upgrade as Holtby would be... there's where I'd spend my 25M over 6 years...

And for all the buzz kills out there I guess it should be clarified this is kind of a dream scenario... no one is actually suggesting the Jets will sign one of  these RFAs away from their team...

Brad Richards is just about finished. I'd take Ward for sure. I love his game. He'd fit right in with our style of play.

I'll just say i'd take none of the RFA's because i wouldn't be willing to give up multiple years of first round picks (tarasenko would be the  guy there for sure) but... i wouldn't even bother. No point really. 

UFA's? Just our own, Sounds like Frolik isn't coming back so stafford and stempniak would be fine with me and then promote from with in.

RFA? just  chiarot really and that's about it. No need to make contract offers to RFA's, they 1. probably won't accept them and 2. if they do, it will be matched and 3. if it's not matched, you just lose way too much. Jets aren't at that point where they can afford to be giving up multiple first round picks. 

I guess when was the last time a player was offer sheeted and the team he played on let him go. It just doesn't happen.

2 example i can think of are weber and o'reilly and both times, nashville and colorado matched them. 

But then you have a dustin penner like player with the oilers, ducks let him go, Oilers probably wishing they didn't cuz he was a huge bust for them. 

The cash I suggested for Huberdeau would cost us a 1st and 3rd....I'd give that up for him in a heartbeat.

I know it is just pissing around but I just wanted to know what everyone's ideas were.

The real point is that in order to not have the offer matched you're going to have to pay up an amount that would see you surrender multiple first round picks. 

Actually, I think Andrej Meszaros would be a good fit if he came cheap enough for 3 or 4 years. It would sure help our left side of the D.

We trade Buff and Stu and the 1st we got from the Sabres to Deadmonton for Hall and our left side is set for a couple years with Ehlers coming up and our D gets a pretty good, experienced guy to play with one of our RH D-men. Hall's play in the world hockey probably pushed his price up though. He'd look good on Scheifele's line. Re-unite the Little-Ladd-Wheeler line and play Scheifele with Hall and ???  Armia?  Staf?

Actually, I think Andrej Meszaros would be a good fit if he came cheap enough for 3 or 4 years. It would sure help our left side of the D.

We trade Buff and Stu and the 1st we got from the Sabres to Deadmonton for Hall and our left side is set for a couple years with Ehlers coming up and our D gets a pretty good, experienced guy to play with one of our RH D-men. Hall's play in the world hockey probably pushed his price up though. He'd look good on Scheifele's line. Re-unite the Little-Ladd-Wheeler line and play Scheifele with Hall and ???  Armia?  Staf?

Thats to much for Hall 

Buff and the 1st plus Burmistrov is probably fair value for hall.

You're joking right? A first round pick, a guy with one year left on his contract and a guy playing in Russia that Edmonton really doesn't need anymore since they won the McJesus lottery is your offer for Taylor Hall? A guy who has been a top 10 scorer in the NHL twice already at a young age... That is a terrible offer. Try giving Edmonton something you don't want to part with and then add to it if you want to get a player the calibre of Taylor Hall. 

Buff would be a good fit in Edmonton, but with only one year left on his contract he is not worth a hell of a lot. Boychuck with one year left returned a couple 2nd round picks. Adjust your value for a player to take into consideration contracts. 

Edm will try one year with McD and if it don't work out then I think a big name be traded.

The might be one player away from a dynasty or maybe not.

I think you're on to something.  The Oilers are pretty stupid.  They waited this long to do something, they will wait another year and hope everything works out.  I think they are content to try and win 5-4 rather then 2-1.  To get a franchise-calibre D would require them parting with something major and they might as well stand pat right now.  They have the coach they want, let him evaluate where they are. 

For that reason, if Buff was on the market, I could see them being interested.  Buff's one year contract reduces his value but it doesnt hurt the Oilers long term.  I think other teams would pay more though, a team that thinks they are one piece away from a cup and remember Buff's time with Chicago.  A team like that will see the one year as a benefit and pay more in the way of picks and prospects and talented depth to "win now".  Think Philly.

Edm will try one year with McD and if it don't work out then I think a big name be traded.

I think you're on to something.  The Oilers are pretty stupid.  They waited this long to do something, they will wait another year and hope everything works out.  I think they are content to try and win 5-4 rather then 2-1.  To get a franchise-calibre D would require them parting with something major and they might as well stand pat right now.  They have the coach they want, let him evaluate where they are. 

For that reason, if Buff was on the market, I could see them being interested.  Buff's one year contract reduces his value but it doesnt hurt the Oilers long term.  I think other teams would pay more though, a team that thinks they are one piece away from a cup and remember Buff's time with Chicago.  A team like that will see the one year as a benefit and pay more in the way of picks and prospects and talented depth to "win now".  Think Philly.

If you're trying to say Buff is a franchise calibre D I'm going to laugh in your face very hard. No one is offering up a franchise D in trade so all this talk is pretty mute. One year of Buff is not worth a Hall or an Eberle or anything else like that. If you want to talk BUff for something around the 16th overall that the Oilers got from the Pens then I'm sure there's a discussion to be had, but if you think one year of him plus some table scraps gets you a big time name you're out to lunch. 

Buff would be a good fit in Edmonton, but with only one year left on his contract he is not worth a hell of a lot. Boychuck with one year left returned a couple 2nd round picks. Adjust your value for a player to take into consideration contracts. 

Buff has much more value than Boychuk did going into last season. For one, Boston had no choice but to deal players away b/c of the cap. For another, Boychuk had a career high of 23 points before his season with the Islanders.

If you're trying to say Buff is a franchise calibre D I'm going to laugh in your face very hard. No one is offering up a franchise D in trade so all this talk is pretty mute. One year of Buff is not worth a Hall or an Eberle or anything else like that. If you want to talk BUff for something around the 16th overall that the Oilers got from the Pens then I'm sure there's a discussion to be had, but if you think one year of him plus some table scraps gets you a big time name you're out to lunch. 

I think I spelled out where I think Buff fits in as the "missing piece" of a team.  Or what I think other teams will see him as.  I think the Oilers would be interested because he'd bring a lot to their team without a long-term committment.  He'd play 30 minutes (which he'd like), he'd play special teams (which he'd like) and he'd likely rack up a lot of points (which he'd like).  But the Oilers would give up less because he's not the long-term solution they need.

what do you honestly think Buff is worth as a 1 year missing piece? You get a first round pick + a secondary prospect I think that's the best you can hope for from anyone. As I pointed out before, Boychuck got a pair of 2nd round picks as a guy with one year left on his deal. Can't expect to get much more than a lottery ticket or two for the guy given his contract status.

I think some pending UFA's have brought back a lot at the deadline to a team thinking that player was the final piece of the puzzle.  I think you trade Buff this summer and you'll get enough interest to get a good middle six player plus a good pick or prospect, or a top six winger and a decent pick, or a solid if unspectacular LHD rather than a pick/prospect.  Most teams trading for him in the summer will feel good about their chances to re-sign him.

I think Buff is gone one way or another.  I cant imagine the Jets paying him what his agent will expect for the length of time he will expect it.  Nor can I see Buff giving a huge discount to stay here.  This is his last chance to cash in.

I dont think a player that plays 5 games as best-in-the-world and 5 games as mediocre is what the Jets need or want.  With the D we have, the young talent coming up, trading him for depth or a decent player who can help us now AND save us the huge payday he will want is a net positive to the Jets.  Quite frankly, losing him for nothing is better than paying him huge dollars for six+ years.  So anything we get is gravy.  But he has those nights where he is a world beater and there will be enough teams that remember that and think that, to drive up his value.