CFL Draft needs

Childress

We have been working hard over at the CFLHorsemen to provide draft content to hard core CFL fans.  Of particular interest may be my pre-draft analysis of the Bomber needs.  I know there are members here who follow the Bombers closer than I do.  Let me know how I did.

http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/2015-cfl-draft.html

Nothing off target with any of that.

What I'd like to see them get from their first 3 picks is Demski, an Olineman, and that RB out of UNLV, taken in that order.

I don't see them using picks on a LB or DB unless it's late in the draft and they're throwing darts to find special teams foot soldiers - we're likely set at those spots for NI's.  Pontbriand won't ever get an all-star nod but he does everything that's asked of him with proficiency, so another fullback seems very unlikely.  Unless he can long-snap.

I think this team desperately needs a NI DT - when I look at Calgary and Hamilton's NI situation on the Dline I get very jealous.  We have to start taking the steps to create that situation for ourselves.  If Bilukidi and Mulamba ever end up here then that changes, but I'm not holding my breath on those guys.  We may never see them.  But with the way we're likely to locate our starting 7 NI's, my guess is we won't be using a high pick on Waud or any DT, but rather on receivers.  I'm expecting us to look at a DT after the 3rd round of the draft.

How many of these guys have NFL interest?

Brett Boyko

Alex Mateas

Daryl Waud

Tyler Varga

Nik Demski

Sean McEwen

Sukh Chungh

Danny Groulx

Addison Richards

Jacob Ruby

Nick Shortill

Chris Ackie

Dillon Guy

Karl Lovoie

Brandon Tennant

Adam Konar

Byron Archambault

Ese Mrabure-Ajufo

Jake Hardy

Ettore Lattanzio

NFL Regional Combine Participants

WR Lemar Durant

WR Bobby Pospischil

WR Nic Demski

DL Daryl Waud

LB Byron Archambault

RB Dillon Campbell

FB Christophe Normand

OL Jacob Ruby

NFL Super Regional Combine Participants

OL Danny Groulx

LB Ron Omara

OL Sukh Chungh

NFL Combine Participants

OL Brett Boyko

RB Tyler Varga

QB Brandon Bridge

DL Christian Covington

This would probably be the most convenient way of judging potential NFL interest in draft-eligible Canadians.  Obviously determining NFL interest is not an exact science.  Alex Mateas is not anywhere on those lists but had NFL scouts at his pro day.  Some guys reportedly attracted interest after the CFL Combine for their numbers, namely Tevaughn Campbell and Chris Ackie... and maybe more we didn't hear about.  Also keep in mind that the Regional combines are not invite-only, so it doesn't mean much.  I think anyone who is draft eligible and pays the fees can attend.  The main NFL Combine and Super Regional are invite only.  The Super Regional is composed of the best of the Regional combines.

1 (--) Christian Covington DL Rice

2 (1) Brett Boyko OL UNLV

3 (2) Alex Mateas OL UCONN

4 (4) Tyler Varga RB Yale

5 (8) Danny Groulx OL Laval

6 (7) Sukh Chungh OL Calgary

7 (3) Daryl Waud DL Western

8 (--) Lemar Durant REC Simon Fraser

9 (5) Nic Demski REC Manitoba

10 (6) Sean McEwen OL Calgary

11 (12) Chris Ackie DB Wilfrid Laurier

12 (9) Addison Richards RED Regina

13 (10) Jacob Ruby OL Richmond

14 (17) Byron Archambault LB Montreal

15 (--) Tevaughn Campbell DB Regina

16 (--) Shaquille Murray-Lawrence RB UNLV

17 (18) Ese Mrabure-Ajufo DL Wilfrid Laurier

18 (19) Jake Harty REC Calgary

19 (--) Brandon Bridge QB South Alabama

20 (11) Nick Shortill LB McMaster

Someone might be tempted to take Boyko in the first round. Durant and Demski will both be gone by pick 11, no question. Richards isn't in the same tier as those two guys...I'm sure we could get him at 15. At second overall I'd be looking at Groulx, Waud, or Demski.

The top six in these ranking seem to have legit NFL shots... three of them being pretty much locks.

I think we still take Waud or Demski with number two.  Would love to see Ruby still there are 11.

Wouldn't pick Chungh or Groulx, if they are that close to NFL, they will want to try again after their first contract.

If the CFL is going to continue to rank without considering NFL interest, they should expand the list to Top 30.