Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Live action Little Mermaid? That could be really creepy. 

I liked Moana too. I appreciate the fact that Disney has gone out of their way to incorporate women as strong independent characters. Gone are the days of princesses waiting on princes to "save" them. They even turned the story of Rapunzel in a positive way. 

I hope they continue with the Moana universe. 

yeah it's a shame that Once never covered it, the closest we got was seeing Maui's hook, it appeared twice, the last time in the final episode in the snow globe scene, it showed up when it was needed. You're welcome indeed

21 minutes ago, JCon said:

I appreciate the fact that Disney has gone out of their way to incorporate women as strong independent characters. Gone are the days of princesses waiting on princes to "save" them. They even turned the story of Rapunzel in a positive way. 

Sadly the reasons are more so for toy sales /  merchandise ....    

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

I think I vaguely remember that building, never been inside though, the interior looks nice

If you vaguely remember the Capitol then you dont remember it at all. In the 60's(?) they did a reverse gut and turned what you saw into 2 theatres, one on top of each other in the same amount of space.

Eaton/City Place had theatres on the east side of cafeteria right? Con. Center was the first cheap theatre I want to say round 89/90. Green Tomatoes era. Its still there but for conferences.

For me the Park theatre on St. Marys was go to for a while. Earliest film I can remember? Might be Disney Robin Hood. Also remember seeing The Return of the Pink Panther at the Starlight Drive-In which was south of Club Regent. There is a Starlight road there so I think it was east of it?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I think there is a component of being responsible and understanding the world.  They wanted to sell toys and merch before the trend of strong women.  I think a lot of Hollywood is more left leaning and have all sort of embraced the idea of equality and pushing women/girls as strong and independent.

I like it a lot and its long over due.  Even Wonder Woman, to me, there was a story that portrayed a female superhero that could be a female role model,  And sure, she was still wearing a pretty sexy costume but not overtly so.  

There is so much male dominance and masculinity out there, strong women roles are good for little boys to see too.  I took my niece to a play date program and the instructor had Moana playing on her laptop.  The daycare next door, came in to play for a few minutes, mostly boys and they were all transfixed watching.  Good for boys to see girls in strong roles.  And if girls want to be Princesses, so be it.  If they want to be superheroes, so be it.

But also, sell lots of merch. 

11 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

If you vaguely remember the Capitol then you dont remember it at all. In the 60's(?) they did a reverse gut and turned what you saw into 2 theatres, one on top of each other in the same amount of space.

Eaton/City Place had theatres on the east side of cafeteria right? Con. Center was the first cheap theatre I want to say round 89/90. Round the Green Tomatoes. Its still there but for conferences.

For me the Park theatre on St. Marys was go to for a while. Earliest film I can remember? Might be Disney Robin Hood. Also remember seeing The Return of the Pink Panther at the Starlight Drive-In which was south of Club Regent. There is a Starlight road there so I think it was east of it?

How many Drive-Ins were there?  Someone told me there was a Drive in where Summerland Apartments currently are (Corner of University Cres & Pembina), which had to be well before my time (although I remember Pembina from there South being barely built out when I was a kid)

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

How many Drive-Ins were there?  Someone told me there was a Drive in where Summerland Apartments currently are (Corner of University Cres & Pembina), which had to be well before my time (although I remember Pembina from there South being barely built out when I was a kid)

I believe you are right.

Also http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/36077

Anyone see this story?

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/arts-editors-picks/reel-life-to-real-life-488030811.html

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

19 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Everything they do is driven by sales but I think they realized that they were falling behind. Parents were really questioning Disney in the mid-90s when all their top movies featured strong male leads with semi-independent females as secondary characters. 

Aladdin had Jasmin. Lion King had Nala. Beauty and the Beast had Belle.

Then, they found some success (and praise) with Pocahontas and Mulan. They realized that they could have strong, female leads and still draw an audience.

Males still dominated for a long time, as it takes a while to work through the films that are in production.

Disney also realized that they could leverage their Princesses and recast them as strong and independent. They removed them from their movies and sold the Princesses idea hard. I would say that Princesses have dominated and driven the Disney marketing over the past 15 years. Disney owns the "Princess". 

They had their cake and ate it too. Genius marketing. 

Here's a link to a collection of theatres of Winnipeg's past. http://www.dancebob.com/Winnipeg_Theatres/Winnipeg_Theatres.html

Drive Ins are at the bottom.

Drive-In Theatres 

Airport/Airliner     s.s. Ellice at Madison    (1952 - ????)
(became the Airliner c. 1964)
As a small child, in the 50's, when my Grandmother lived on Queen Street, we could walk to the end of her street, sit on
the grass and watch the movies. The hanging speakers in those days were easily heard from outside the fenced compound.

Northmain Drive-In       Main Street North    (May 3rd, 1951 - 1980)
The Drive-In is Lot 32 Main Street.        Club Copacabana is Lot 35 ... so they are both between Red River Blvd. and Drury. 
Northmain_Drive_In_Avatar.jpg

Pembina Drive-In        1994 Pembina Hwy        (July 19, 1949 - c.1975)
Northmain_Drive_In_sml.jpg

This was the first drive-in theatres in the mid-west and was built by Jack Miles in 1949, followed by the Eldorado Drive-In in 1950.

Jack Miles owned Allied Amusements Ltd., which later became Western Theatres Ltd. and at one time owned and operated
18 movie theatres in Winnipeg, which included, The Uptown, The Palace, The Plaza, The Rose and The Roxy Theatres.
Jack Miles died in 1951, but the family owned business continued for 2 decades and still owns the Uptown Bowling Lanes building,
which is currently (2018) being re-furbished into office space.

Odeon Drive-In        4415 Portage Avenue    (Sept. 20th, 1963 - Sept. 2007)     (998 cars)
odeon_drive-in_portage_ave_w_sml.jpg Odeon_Marquee_sml.jpg

Starlite Drive-In        1300 Regent Avenue W.    (c. 1954 - ????)    (Transcona Hwy. - another source)
Debbie, a reader of this site says the Starlite was still there in 1974.

Eldorado Drive-In Theatre    1001 Henderson Hwy at Eldorado St.  (June 29th, 1950 - 1955)

Circus Drive-In        n.s. Portage Avenue at Muriel (Kirkfield Park)    (Aug. 14th, 1952 - 1955)

Lockport Drive-In    Junction of Hwy. No. 1 & Hwy No. 9     (1954 - 1955)

Im trying to visualize that image of the Pembina Drive in...the address puts it right at the corner of Pembina/University (where the Petro Canada is now)...ofcourse, addresses can change.  But if thats Pembina looking South, its remarkably different.  There is a large sign on the right side of the photo (looks like a "chef" holding a jug of root beer), which looks super familiar....

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im trying to visualize that image of the Pembina Drive in...the address puts it right at the corner of Pembina/University (where the Petro Canada is now)...ofcourse, addresses can change.  But if thats Pembina looking South, its remarkably different.  There is a large sign on the right side of the photo (looks like a "chef" holding a jug of root beer), which looks super familiar....

Bishop Grandin didn't open until 1978 and was only extended to Waverley from Pembina.  in 1990. Crazy, hey? 

Source: http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/bishopgrandinboulevard.shtml

14 minutes ago, JCon said:

Bishop Grandin didn't open until 1978 and was only extended to Waverley from Pembina.  in 1990. Crazy, hey? 

Source: http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/bishopgrandinboulevard.shtml

I remember the Bishop extension.  We used to go play on the construction equipment on the weekends.  But I can't imagine that a area without the original Bishop.  If that drive in photo is of the University Cres intersection it looks like there was no University Cres either.  And now Chancellor Dr to the right (I live off Chancellor).  

I recall the few businesses/restaurants in that area, many having gravel lots.   The McDonalds at Chancellor was further North right around where Coyotes is/was and had the Caboose.  All kids wanted their birthday party in the caboose.  Where the Bishop extension is was a restaurant called Rib Shack which my brother loved (regular birthday dinner for him).  There was an A&W on Pembina that had the old car hop set up.  And that mini mall where Applebees is was just wasteland (snow dump).  Used to be a water slide park there when it first opened.

Ah, the memories. lol

38 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I remember the Bishop extension.  We used to go play on the construction equipment on the weekends.  But I can't imagine that a area without the original Bishop.  If that drive in photo is of the University Cres intersection it looks like there was no University Cres either.  And now Chancellor Dr to the right (I live off Chancellor).  

I recall the few businesses/restaurants in that area, many having gravel lots.   The McDonalds at Chancellor was further North right around where Coyotes is/was and had the Caboose.  All kids wanted their birthday party in the caboose.  Where the Bishop extension is was a restaurant called Rib Shack which my brother loved (regular birthday dinner for him).  There was an A&W on Pembina that had the old car hop set up.  And that mini mall where Applebees is was just wasteland (snow dump).  Used to be a water slide park there when it first opened.

Ah, the memories. lol

I had my B-Days in the caboose. It was right at Plaza Drive. At least a couple. That's also where my dentist was (and was still there not long ago). 

Same place as the South Winnipeg Dinner Club (no idea what the name was) where they held a lot of weddings. 

Across the street was Starwberries, right? 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

I had my B-Days in the caboose. It was right at Plaza Drive. At least a couple. That's also where my dentist was (and was still there not long ago). 

Same place as the South Winnipeg Dinner Club (no idea what the name was) where they held a lot of weddings. 

Across the street was Starwberries, right? 

Yes I remember Strawberries in the parking lot of what is now Best Buy/Shapes.  That strip mall was a real mall (indoor) with a K-Mart at one end and a Dominion Grocery at the other.

While I would want to believe Disney has kind hearts and wanted female role models...   the truth is that they had female leads to increase the amount of money that they could generate.        Being a dad of two young girls the sheer amount of girls clothing with Disney characters on them is staggering.   When my niece was the same age (about 10 years ago) their was far less clothing and toys with the Disney girls on them.    You still had some Disney Princess themed stuff but it's night and day different in how much more there is now.     

If they were really wanting to push equality then they would have much more of a presence of the black princess (I don't even know her name) and you would see much more of an Asian presence in the Disney universe.    Unfortunately non white princesses don't sell so they really push and market the white girl princesses to maximize profits.    I know this after my daughter wanted a Moana themed party two summers ago and it was much more difficult to find party supplies and toys for Moana compared to the regular princesses. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

While I would want to believe Disney has kind hearts and wanted female role models...   the truth is that they had female leads to increase the amount of money that they could generate.        Being a dad of two young girls the sheer amount of girls clothing with Disney characters on them is staggering.   When my niece was the same age (about 10 years ago) their was far less clothing and toys with the Disney girls on them.    You still had some Disney Princess themed stuff but it's night and day different in how much more there is now.     

If they were really wanting to push equality then they would have much more of a presence of the black princess (I don't even know her name) and you would see much more of an Asian presence in the Disney universe.    Unfortunately non white princesses don't sell so they really push and market the white girl princesses to maximize profits.    I know this after my daughter wanted a Moana themed party two summers ago and it was much more difficult to find party supplies and toys for Moana compared to the regular princesses. 

I'm saying that's exactly why they were pushing it- the market demanded it and they reacted to the market demand. 

As for Moana, I'll tell you, when you go down south, there is more Moana, more Princess Tiana and more Princess Elena. They push it more in areas where they believe it better reflects the population. Unfortunately, they miss the boat when they realize that kids care far less about the colour of their skin and more about their attitude. 

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Van Buren's?

• 2 weeks later...

spectral, (netflix) is a sci fi movie that I really enjoyed.

made in Russia I think, the Russians have some great cgi, different than the hollywood kind, as is the cinematography.

review from youtube trailer

"Just finished watching this movie, all I gotta say is DONT MISS IT! Its got its flaws, but it kept me on edge of my seat for 1 hour 47 mins. The ghost spectral anomalies (antagonists) were pretty scary because they were killing everything with one hit. One part when one of the spectrals smashed a whole tank with 3 hits was amazing. Also, the movie started of like black hawk down but in the second half it bought back memories of Gears of War (XBOX game) with the big plasma style rifles, only the round saws were replaced by UV spectral lights (needed to see the ghosts)! For me its definitely one of the best movies of the year. Go watch it NOW for some serious military/supernatural entertainment. Thumbs up to Netflix......... 8.5/10!

The director of this movie should be hired to create the adaptation of any shooter game ."

Edited by Mark F
overpost