Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Disney sequels tho...

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

By far the most overratetd thing they've ever done.......I heard ALL this hype after it came out, then watched it online and went "what in the **** was that??" 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Frozen is massively over rated , without the song I don't think the cartoon really did anything that special.

OK, time for the Oscar picks, since I will be out of range for the next week starting tomorrow. Tough year to call the Best Picture winner as no frontrunner has emerged. And I was lucky enough to get free movies all year, so I saw 6 of the 8 contenders (basically saw a movie a week - best contest win ever!)

Best Picture
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star Is Born
Vice

My pick: Green Book - wide open category here. Panther was fun and a "cultural phenomenon" supposedly, but a comic book super hero movie won't win, even if (or especially if) it is more about proving how diverse Hollywood is and honouring a "black" film to dispel the "Oscars so white" label. BlacKkKlansman would be a better choice if Hollywood wants to go that way - a very relevant and timely view of race relations 30 years ago and still today that doesn't pull punches, but feels even-handed even in Spike Lee's hands. I think it deserves to win but it has no buzz. Bohemian Rhapsody was my favorite of this list, and would be deserving, but Hollywood doesn't like to give the big award to populist fare anymore to prove it is highbrow, so no win here (again would love to see it win - the last 20 minutes was the best piece of film all year to my eyes). Didn't see The Favorite, but it has little buzz. Roma is the one other film with a chance to win, and it is by all accounts a better film than Green Book, and this is the other one I didn't see. Just can't imagine Hollywood voting in a streaming service Netflix film as Best Picture, even if that is the inevitable future of the industry. A Star is Born was the one that should have swept the awards when it came out, but it has fallen off the map since it was basically shut out at the Golden Globes. And Vice is almost too clever and at the same time "beat you over the head" Liberal for its own good (they even make a joke about that at the end) and is more an acting and writing showcase than a complete picture. Green Book was pleasant enough, but a little thin in my books, but it has survived the backlash and is a nice clean race relations film (think Driving Miss Daisy) that strives not to offend, honours the stoic black figure who transforms but is also saved by the white protagonist savior, so it is the safe choice. It's not what I would vote for, but the one I think will win.

Best Actor
Christian Bale (Vice)
Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)
Willem Dafoe (At Eternity’s Gate)
Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
Viggo Mortensen (Green Book)

My pick: Rami Malek - pretty much a slam dunk at this point, and well deserved (seen the movie 5 times, his performance is more impressive each time out), although Christian Bale's D-I-c-k Cheney is a very impressive if less showy piece of acting.

Best Actress
Yalitza Aparicio (Roma)
Glenn Close (The Wife)
Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)
Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)

My pick: Glenn Close -  she has been campaigning hard and seems to have stolen the momentum from Olivia Colman, and after a record 7 nominations with zero wins (and being denied for Fatal Attraction) this is the lifetime achievement award of the night.

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali (Green Book)
Adam Driver (BlacKkKlansman)
Sam Elliott (A Star Is Born)
Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
Sam Rockwell (Vice)

My pick: Mahershala Ali - big upset if he doesn't continue his winning streak, despite some quiet late support for Elliott and Grant.

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams (Vice)
Marina de Tavira (Roma)
Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)
Emma Stone (The Favourite)
Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)

My pick: Regina King - has won pretty much every award so far, so another near certainty here. Amy Adams is turning into the next Kate Winslet or Glenn Close for nominations without a win, but this is not the performance to break her losing streak

Best Directing
Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman)
Pawel Pawlikowski (Cold War)
Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite)
Alfonso Cuarón (Roma)
Adam McKay (Vice)

My pick: Alfonso Cuaron - everyone agrees his personal homage to family (which he also wrote, produced, and did the cinematography for) is the out-and-out best storytelling of the year, so he bests Spike Lee here.

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
BlacKkKlansman
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
If Beale Street Could Talk
A Star Is Born

My pick: BlacKkKlansman - Since they won't give him Best Director, here is the Academy's chance to honour Spike Lee. Potential for the best (or more likely most political) acceptance speech of the night. And Beale Street would be another option to showcase the African-American viewpoint of life in the US right now, so it might come through. Outside of a Best Picture upset win for A Star Is Born, this is Bradley Cooper's best shot at an Oscar, so if they don't want him to go 0/3 (and since they snubbed him as a director), this would be the category to throw him a bone.

Best Original Screenplay
The Favourite
First Reformed
Green Book
Roma
Vice

My pick: Green Book - if this film is going to win Best Picture, it would be very surprising to see it not win here too. The irony is the family of Dr. Sheldon disputes the accuracy of the screenplay, so that could put into question the legitimacy of the adaptation. Plus the writer made a pro-Trump tweet about Muslims cheering on 9/11, which did not sit well with the Muslim actor Ali. Retracted, but with sensitivities so high, could face a backlash. If The Favorite takes this award, watch for Roma to win Best Picture. And Vice could sneak through if there is a split vote since it was a pretty clever satire.

Best Animated Film
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

My pick: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - one of the surest bets of the night if the awards season so far is any indicator. My son thought it was very cool, and the best animated movie he saw this year, even more than Incredibles 2.

Best Cinematography
Cold War
The Favourite
Never Look Away
Roma
A Star Is Born

My pick: Roma - dark horse is Cold War, another foreign language film from Poland, but again Cuaron's work is the most celebrated this year.

Best Costume Design
Black Panther
The Favourite
Mary Poppins Returns
Mary Queen of Scots

My pick: The Favorite - period dramas usually win this category, and it was better received than Mary Queen of Scots. Upset potential for Black Panther if the Academy wants to give it an outside the box award in a category that isn't a technical award like sound of visual effects (which it didn't even get nominated for).

Best Documentary Feature
Free Solo
Hale County This Morning, This Evening
Minding the Gap
Of Fathers and Sons
RBG

My pick: RBG - come on, this is Liberal Hollywood gold, picking the Supreme Court hero (and kind of a middle finger to Trump and his boy Kavanagh), even though Free Solo was supposedly a better film. Think An Inconvenient Truth redux, plus she just got back on the bench last week, so she is relevant right now.

Best Documentary Short Subject
Black Sheep
End Game
Lifeboat
A Night at the Garden
Period. End of Sentence.

My pick: As Bill Murray used to say on SNL when he picked the Oscar winners during the fake news "Hey, who cares?" Pure guess here based on reading another predictor's work, but I'll say Period. End of Sentence wins out over the favoured Black Sheep. It is a lighter happier piece, so it works in a short doc form, whereas a feature length doc handles the more serious stuff.

Best Film Editing
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Vice

My pick: If Green Book is to win Best Picture, this might ne an undercard category they give it a momentum building win to, and some experts think Vice might get some love here, but I think the concert scenes and how they were shot, especially the Live Aid sequence, gives Bohemian Rhapsody the win, if the Bryan Singer toxicity doesn't extend to the film editor's work.

Best Foreign-Language Film
Capernaum
Cold War
Never Look Away
Roma
Shoplifters

My pick: Logic says if Roma is a co-favorite for Best Picture, it should win here. But some feel that if it does win the big prize, then they will reward Cold War here as a consolation prize. Go with logic. Roma wins.

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Border
Mary Queen of Scots
Vice

My pick: Since he won't win Best Actor, the Academy will give the make-up award to Vice for transforming Christian Bale into D-I-c-k Cheney doppelganger

Best Original Score
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Isle of Dogs
Mary Poppins Returns

My pick: One would think a musical based on a Disney film like Mary Poppins has the edge, and Beale Street needs more recognition and would deserve a win here, but Black Panther won the Grammy (not always the best indicator) and gives the film some cred beyond its ground-breaking nomination, so give it to Black Panther

Best Original Song
“All the Stars” (Black Panther)
“I’ll Fight” (RBG)
“The Place Where Lost Things Go” (Mary Poppins Returns)
“Shallow” (A Star Is Born)
“When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings” (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs)

My pick: I am in Vegas this weekend (Go Jets!), so if I want a sure bet on anything in the world in the next 7 days, I should lay money on Shallow. The best way to recognize Lady Gaga's performance in the film, and the film itself, which has been otherwise snubbed. Surest pick of the night.

Best Production Design
Black Panther
The Favourite
First Man
Mary Poppins Returns
Roma

My pick: Another category where period pieces dominate when they get nominated, so go with The Favorite. If Black Panther wins here, it could pave the way for a Best Picture upset.

Best Animated Short Film
Animal Behaviour
Bao
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends

My pick: It was cute and heartwarming, made by Pixar, and actually was seen on many thousands of movie screens in the theatre as the lead in for The Incredibles 2, so from sheer exposure and the brand name behind it, give it to Bao.

Best Live-Action Short Film
Detainment
Fauve
Marguerite
Mother
Skin

My pick: I dunno. Marguerite?

Best Sound Editing
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
A Quiet Place
Roma

My pick: So for anyone who, like me, has little understanding of what the difference is between sound editing and mixing - editing is basically creating all the sound for a film other than dialogue (apparently 98% of the sound on a film in done after the fact and not live, so it has to be re-synched in a studio after). The editor re-creates ambient noise like wind, footsteps, background crowds to give but 3 examples, and puts them all in. The editor decides WHAT you hear, or don't hear for that matter. The mixer then decides HOW you hear it, what to make louder or softer, including an overlapping film score, to make it seamless in the overall picture. You're welcome. The two favorites in both categories are First Man and Bohemian Rhapsody, so it makes sense to split the awards between these two films. Since the editor creates sounds, even those that don't exist in real life, the more daring non-traditional sounds that are found in sci-fi often win, so give this one to First Man for it's creation of space flight. Sneaky dark horse would be A Quiet Place, where the absence of sound was just as important.

Best Sound Mixing
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
Roma
A Star Is Born

My Pick: A film with music as its centrepiece seems a logical choice for sound mixing, and since it captured both scenes in the recording studio and live concerts (with actual shots of the sound mixers doing their thing in the film), and is about a band that pioneered influential recordings and experimental sounds in their music, the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody should win here. Plus, I gave the other award to First Man and said I'd split the two awards between that and this film, so there. If A Star Is Born is to have any chance of re-igniting its Oscar mojo, a win here would be a harbinger of that.

Best Visual Effects
Avengers: Infinity War
Christopher Robin
First Man
Ready Player One
Solo: A Star Wars Story

My pick: The Oscars likes the splashy, impossible-to-conceive-in-the-human-world type of effects, so First Man is too subtle despite being one of the most realistic views of what space flight would be like. And Christopher Robin is effects in an actor's world, rather than actors in a CGI effects world. Of the 3 remaining films, go with the biggest blockbuster. Avengers deserves something given what is has brought to the cinematic universe.

Voila. First one who types TLDR gets a middle finger from me, lol. At least not as long as the ceremony itself, I just saved you 3.5 hours on Sunday.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

15 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

OK, time for the Oscar picks, since I will be out of range for the next week starting tomorrow. Tough year to call the Best Picture winner as no frontrunner has emerged. And I was lucky enough to get free movies all year, so I saw 6 of the 8 contenders (basically saw a movie a week - best contest win ever!)

Best Picture
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star Is Born
Vice

My pick: Green Book - wide open category here. Panther was fun and a "cultural phenomenon" supposedly, but a comic book super hero movie won't win, even if (or especially if) it is more about proving how diverse Hollywood is and honouring a "black" film to dispel the "Oscars so white" label. BlacKkKlansman would be a better choice if Hollywood wants to go that way - a very relevant and timely view of race relations 30 years ago and still today that doesn't pull punches, but feels even-handed even in Spike Lee's hands. I think it deserves to win but it has no buzz. Bohemian Rhapsody was my favorite of this list, and would be deserving, but Hollywood doesn't like to give the big award to populist fare anymore to prove it is highbrow, so no win here (again would love to see it win - the last 20 minutes was the best piece of film all year to my eyes). Didn't see The Favorite, but it has little buzz. Roma is the one other film with a chance to win, and it is by all accounts a better film than Green Book, and this is the other one I didn't see. Just can't imagine Hollywood voting in a streaming service Netflix film as Best Picture, even if that is the inevitable future of the industry. A Star is Born was the one that should have swept the awards when it came out, but it has fallen off the map since it was basically shut out at the Golden Globes. And Vice is almost too clever and at the same time "beat you over the head" Liberal for its own good (they even make a joke about that at the end) and is more an acting and writing showcase than a complete picture. Green Book was pleasant enough, but a little thin in my books, but it has survived the backlash and is a nice clean race relations film (think Driving Miss Daisy) that strives not to offend, honours the stoic black figure who transforms but is also saved by the white protagonist savior, so it is the safe choice. It's not what I would vote for, but the one I think will win.

Best Actor
Christian Bale (Vice)
Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)
Willem Dafoe (At Eternity’s Gate)
Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
Viggo Mortensen (Green Book)

My pick: Rami Malek - pretty much a slam dunk at this point, and well deserved (seen the movie 5 times, his performance is more impressive each time out), although Christian Bale's D-I-c-k Cheney is a very impressive if less showy piece of acting.

Best Actress
Yalitza Aparicio (Roma)
Glenn Close (The Wife)
Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)
Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)

My pick: Glenn Close -  she has been campaigning hard and seems to have stolen the momentum from Olivia Colman, and after a record 7 nominations with zero wins (and being denied for Fatal Attraction) this is the lifetime achievement award of the night.

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali (Green Book)
Adam Driver (BlacKkKlansman)
Sam Elliott (A Star Is Born)
Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
Sam Rockwell (Vice)

My pick: Mahershala Ali - big upset if he doesn't continue his winning streak, despite some quiet late support for Elliott and Grant.

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams (Vice)
Marina de Tavira (Roma)
Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)
Emma Stone (The Favourite)
Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)

My pick: Regina King - has won pretty much every award so far, so another near certainty here. Amy Adams is turning into the next Kate Winslet or Glenn Close for nominations without a win, but this is not the performance to break her losing streak

Best Directing
Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman)
Pawel Pawlikowski (Cold War)
Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite)
Alfonso Cuarón (Roma)
Adam McKay (Vice)

My pick: Alfonso Cuaron - everyone agrees his personal homage to family (which he also wrote, produced, and did the cinematography for) is the out-and-out best storytelling of the year, so he bests Spike Lee here.

Best Adapted Screenplay
BlacKkKlansman
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
A Star Is Born

My pick: BlacKkKlansman - Since they won't give him Best Director, here is the Academy's chance to honour Spike Lee. Potential for the best (or more likely most political) acceptance speech of the night. And Beale Street would be another option to showcase the African-American viewpoint of life in the US right now, so it might come through. Outside of a Best Picture upset win for A Star Is Born, this is Bradley Cooper's best shot at an Oscar, so if they don't want him to go 0/3 (and since they snubbed him as a director), this would be the category to throw him a bone.

Best Original Screenplay
The Favourite
First Reformed
Green Book
Roma
Vice

My pick: Green Book - if this film is going to win Best Picture, it would be very surprising to see it not win here too. The irony is the family of Dr. Sheldon disputes the accuracy of the screenplay, so that could put into question the legitimacy of the adaptation. Plus the writer made a pro-Trump tweet about Muslims cheering on 9/11, which did not sit well with the Muslim actor Ali. Retracted, but with sensitivities so high, could face a backlash. If The Favorite takes this award, watch for Roma to win Best Picture. And Vice could sneak through if there is a split vote since it was a pretty clever satire.

Best Animated Film
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

My pick: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - one of the surest bets of the night if the awards season so far is any indicator. My son thought it was very cool, and the best animated movie he saw this year, even more than Incredibles 2.

Best Cinematography
Cold War
The Favourite
Never Look Away
Roma
A Star Is Born

My pick: Roma - dark horse is Cold War, another foreign language film from Poland, but again Cuaron's work is the most celebrated this year.

Best Costume Design
Black Panther
The Favourite
Mary Poppins Returns
Mary Queen of Scots

My pick: The Favorite - period dramas usually win this category, and it was better received than Mary Queen of Scots. Upset potential for Black Panther if the Academy wants to give it an outside the box award in a category that isn't a technical award like sound of visual effects (which it didn't even get nominated for).

Best Documentary Feature
Free Solo
Hale County This Morning, This Evening
Minding the Gap
Of Fathers and Sons
RBG

My pick: RBG - come on, this is Liberal Hollywood gold, picking the Supreme Court hero (and kind of a middle finger to Trump and his boy Kavanagh), even though Free Solo was supposedly a better film. Think An Inconvenient Truth redux, plus she just got back on the bench last week, so she is relevant right now.

Best Documentary Short Subject
Black Sheep
End Game
Lifeboat
A Night at the Garden
Period. End of Sentence.

My pick: As Bill Murray used to say on SNL when he picked the Oscar winners during the fake news "Hey, who cares?" Pure guess here based on reading another predictor's work, but I'll say Period. End of Sentence wins out over the favoured Black Sheep. It is a lighter happier piece, so it works in a short doc form, whereas a feature length doc handles the more serious stuff.

Best Film Editing
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Vice

My pick: If Green Book is to win Best Picture, this might ne an undercard category they give it a momentum building win to, and some experts think Vice might get some love here, but I think the concert scenes and how they were shot, especially the Live Aid sequence, gives Bohemian Rhapsody the win, if the Bryan Singer toxicity doesn't extend to the film editor's work.

Best Foreign-Language Film
Capernaum
Cold War
Never Look Away
Roma
Shoplifters

My pick: Logic says if Roma is a co-favorite for Best Picture, it should win here. But some feel that if it does win the big prize, then they will reward Cold War here as a consolation prize. Go with logic. Roma wins.

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Border
Mary Queen of Scots
Vice

My pick: Since he won't win Best Actor, the Academy will give the make-up award to Vice for transforming Christian Bale into D-I-c-k Cheney doppelganger

Best Original Score
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Isle of Dogs
Mary Poppins Returns

My pick: One would think a musical based on a Disney film like Mary Poppins has the edge, and Beale Street needs more recognition and would deserve a win here, but Black Panther won the Grammy (not always the best indicator) and gives the film some cred beyond its ground-breaking nomination, so give it to Black Panther

Best Original Song
“All the Stars” (Black Panther)
“I’ll Fight” (RBG)
“The Place Where Lost Things Go” (Mary Poppins Returns)
“Shallow” (A Star Is Born)
“When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings” (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs)

My pick: I am in Vegas this weekend (Go Jets!), so if I want a sure bet on anything in the world in the next 7 days, I should lay money on Shallow. The best way to recognize Lady Gaga's performance in the film, and the film itself, which has been otherwise snubbed. Surest pick of the night.

Best Production Design
Black Panther
The Favourite
First Man
Mary Poppins Returns
Roma

My pick: Another category where period pieces dominate when they get nominated, so go with The Favorite. If Black Panther wins here, it could pave the way for a Best Picture upset.

Best Animated Short Film
Animal Behaviour
Bao
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends

My pick: It was cute and heartwarming, made by Pixar, and actually was seen on many thousands of movie screens in the theatre as the lead in for The Incredibles 2, so from sheer exposure and the brand name behind it, give it to Bao.

Best Live-Action Short Film
Detainment
Fauve
Marguerite
Mother
Skin

My pick: I dunno. Marguerite?

Best Sound Editing
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
A Quiet Place
Roma

My pick: So for anyone who, like me, has little understanding of what the difference is between sound editing and mixing - editing is basically creating all the sound for a film other than dialogue (apparently 98% of the sound on a film in done after the fact and not live, so it has to be re-synched in a studio after). The editor re-creates ambient noise like wind, footsteps, background crowds to give but 3 examples, and puts them all in. The editor decides WHAT you hear, or don't hear for that matter. The mixer then decides HOW you hear it, what to make louder or softer, including an overlapping film score, to make it seamless in the overall picture. You're welcome. The two favorites in both categories are First Man and Bohemian Rhapsody, so it makes sense to split the awards between these two films. Since the editor creates sounds, even those that don't exist in real life, the more daring non-traditional sounds that are found in sci-fi often win, so give this one to First Man for it's creation of space flight. Sneaky dark horse would be A Quiet Place, where the absence of sound was just as important.

Best Sound Mixing
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
Roma
A Star Is Born

My Pick: A film with music as its centrepiece seems a logical choice for sound mixing, and since it captured both scenes in the recording studio and live concerts (with actual shots of the sound mixers doing their thing in the film), and is about a band that pioneered influential recordings and experimental sounds in their music, the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody should win here. Plus, I gave the other award to First Man and said I'd split the two awards between that and this film, so there. If A Star Is Born is to have any chance of re-igniting its Oscar mojo, a win here would be a harbinger of that.

Best Visual Effects
Avengers: Infinity War
Christopher Robin
First Man
Ready Player One
Solo: A Star Wars Story

My pick: The Oscars likes the splashy, impossible-to-conceive-in-the-human-world type of effects, so First Man is too subtle despite being one of the most realistic views of what space flight would be like. And Christopher Robin is effects in an actor's world, rather than actors in a CGI effects world. Of the 3 remaining films, go with the biggest blockbuster. Avengers deserves something given what is has brought to the cinematic universe.

Voila. First one who types TLDR gets a middle finger from me, lol. At least not as long as the ceremony itself, I just saved you 3.5 hours on Sunday.

YAWWWN.....

....tldr

2 hours ago, Logan007 said:

YAWWWN.....

....tldr

Rather watch the Jets lose to AZ :)

I think it's Green Book as well. Could be Black Panther or BlacKkKlansman tho. They still worried about Oscars So White.

While Roma is considered the best by a lot of critics Roma has that Netflix tag and with it being nominated in foreign language it does not need to win both.

Not sure how Bohemian got nominated(Sorry iHeart). Rather seen First Man or M:I.

The Favorite is the dark horse. Traditional Brit costume drama. Its what they do best.

28 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Rather watch the Jets lose to AZ :)

I think it's Green Book as well. Could be Black Panther or BlacKkKlansman tho. They still worried about Oscars So White.

While Roma is considered the best by a lot of critics Roma has that Netflix tag and with it being nominated in foreign language it does not need to win both.

Not sure how Bohemian got nominated(Sorry iHeart). Rather seen First Man or M:I.

The Favorite is the dark horse. Traditional Brit costume drama. Its what they do best.

my guess it probably got nominated because of the timing of release or something. But how many films with mixed reviews won the best picture oscar anyway, if BR wins best picture on sunday I would consider it a bonus.