Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, iHeart said:

2019 is going to be a super busy year for Disney, (Toy Story 4, Live action Dumbo and Aladdin, Frozen 2 and just in time for it's 25th anniversary we get this!)

Oh, boy, lots to unpack there. 

First, I'm looking forward to TS4. I'm not the biggest fan of the series but it's been so well made. Not sure we really needed a 4th but it's Disney. 

Live action Dumbo? I like this. I was never a Dumbo fan. I truly hated the bullying and it made me uncomfortable as a kid. Even when my kids watch it now, I'm put off by it. It's along the same lines as Rudolph, that they exploit the thing that makes him different. Anyhow, maybe they can modernize the story in a way that focuses more on the positives of being different. 

Aladdin. One my all time favs. I loved the story and the music of the original Dis flick. I'm very hopeful that they can recreate the magic. I'm not counting on it, just hopeful. 

Frozen 2? I liked the first. The story was unique and the music very good.. Yes, got a bit sick of the music and the overexposure. Also, as a Disney fam, who go to WDW almost each year, it also has quite a large footprint there. Fingers crossed that it's fun movie. 

Now, the Lion King... Also one of my favs. When I heard they were redoing a "live version" I was interested. The Jungle Book was good because it was unique, in a way, and they kept the music. Also, live action worked because Mogli was human. But the Lion King does not have humans. so, this is a animated remake of the animated movie from 25 years ago... why? Based on the trailer, it looks like a scene-for-scene remake?

Will it look cool? I'm sure it will. The trailer certainly does. But, is this truly a scene-for-scene remake with some of the same voices? I don't really get it. 

I would have preferred a remake of the Aristocats. Bring that story to a new generation. There are great, iconic characters, great music and it's a great story. 

On 2018-11-14 at 3:52 PM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

So much this!

I forgot to provide feedback. I watched last weekend. 

This was VERY good. Short vignettes and stories. I really liked it. 

Tom Waits stole the show. But each story was unique and well told. A bit campy but everything works. 

My 2.5 year old niece is obsessed with Frozen to the point she wants to listen to the songs when we're in the car, watch it at home.  There's a short video called Frozen Fever which she also asks for by name (fozen feva!)

We're going to take her to Disney on Ice.  She's pretty rambunctious so hopefully she enjoys...Frozen 2?  My goodness...might be her first theatre movie!

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

Oh, boy, lots to unpack there. 

First, I'm looking forward to TS4. I'm not the biggest fan of the series but it's been so well made. Not sure we really needed a 4th but it's Disney. 

Live action Dumbo? I like this. I was never a Dumbo fan. I truly hated the bullying and it made me uncomfortable as a kid. Even when my kids watch it now, I'm put off by it. It's along the same lines as Rudolph, that they exploit the thing that makes him different. Anyhow, maybe they can modernize the story in a way that focuses more on the positives of being different. 

Aladdin. One my all time favs. I loved the story and the music of the original Dis flick. I'm very hopeful that they can recreate the magic. I'm not counting on it, just hopeful. 

Frozen 2? I liked the first. The story was unique and the music very good.. Yes, got a bit sick of the music and the overexposure. Also, as a Disney fam, who go to WDW almost each year, it also has quite a large footprint there. Fingers crossed that it's fun movie. 

Now, the Lion King... Also one of my favs. When I heard they were redoing a "live version" I was interested. The Jungle Book was good because it was unique, in a way, and they kept the music. Also, live action worked because Mogli was human. But the Lion King does not have humans. so, this is a animated remake of the animated movie from 25 years ago... why? Based on the trailer, it looks like a scene-for-scene remake?

Will it look cool? I'm sure it will. The trailer certainly does. But, is this truly a scene-for-scene remake with some of the same voices? I don't really get it. 

I would have preferred a remake of the Aristocats. Bring that story to a new generation. There are great, iconic characters, great music and it's a great story. 

I kind of would like to see live action Aristocats, It actually was in line for a straight to video sequel but Lasseter killed the straight to video department before it could be finished

I am hoping Will Smith will do the Genie justice because well those are big shoes to fill like sideshow bob sized shoes

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I cant say for sure but Im pretty sure mine was one of the Star Wars films (Empire, perhaps?).

I saw The Fox and The Hound first, then Empire second. 

In fact, I had a choice, Empire or go see Mr. Dressup live. Chose Empire, obviously, as any three year-old would.  

What sort of horrible mother would bring a child to Fox and the Hound?? I cried and cried. I never wanted to see another movie. It still brings tears to my eyes. But, I love it. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

I saw The Fox and The Hound first, then Empire second. 

In fact, I had a choice, Empire or go see Mr. Dressup live. Chose Empire, obviously, as any three year-old would.  

What sort of horrible mother would bring a child to Fox and the Hound?? I cried and cried. I never wanted to see another movie. It still brings tears to my eyes. But, I love it. 

I remember seeing that in the theater too.  Looking it up, it was 81.  Empire was 80 so probably still my first unless it was a later release.  I remember my whole family went (Brother and parents) to a matinee and they had Darth Vader there signing autographs.  He went to hand me the paper with his autograph on it and I tried to take the pen (much more interesting to a 4 year old).

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I remember seeing that in the theater too.  Looking it up, it was 81.  Empire was 80 so probably still my first unless it was a later release.  I remember my whole family went (Brother and parents) to a matinee and they had Darth Vader there signing autographs.  He went to hand me the paper with his autograph on it and I tried to take the pen (much more interesting to a 4 year old).

81... I would have been 4... maybe I have them reversed. I thought it came out in 80. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

81... I would have been 4... maybe I have them reversed. I thought it came out in 80. 

Back then they would have had longer theatrical runs so its possible they were playing concurrently.  I think they'd put them back in theaters after awhile too if there was nothing new.  Im quite certain I saw Jedi with my brother and then quite some time later, saw it with my dad.

I remember because my choice for a birthday movie was either Jedi (which I had already seen) or The Dog Who Stopped the War which was 85...Jedi was 83 so it was either still playing two years later, or went back into theaters after its original run.

Man...brings back memories.  I cant remember which was our go-to theater.  Downtown somewhere so probably the Met or Capital.  I remember seeing Back to The Future 2 downtown at a beautiful theater.  I remember it had a balcony level and "wings".  Anyone know which one that was?

Once St Vital opened the "multiplex" (six screens?) that was our go-to.  Cant remember when it opened by I saw Transformers there with my dad (88?)  And then Portage Place, which only had three screens but they were bigger.  I remember seeing several Star Trek films there.  

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Back then they would have had longer theatrical runs so its possible they were playing concurrently.  I think they'd put them back in theaters after awhile too if there was nothing new.  Im quite certain I saw Jedi with my brother and then quite some time later, saw it with my dad.

I remember because my choice for a birthday movie was either Jedi (which I had already seen) or The Dog Who Stopped the War which was 85...Jedi was 83 so it was either still playing two years later, or went back into theaters after its original run.

Man...brings back memories.  I cant remember which was our go-to theater.  Downtown somewhere so probably the Met or Capital.  I remember seeing Back to The Future 2 downtown at a beautiful theater.  I remember it had a balcony level and "wings".  Anyone know which one that was?

Once St Vital opened the "multiplex" (six screens?) that was our go-to.  Cant remember when it opened by I saw Transformers there with my dad (88?)  And then Portage Place, which only had three screens but they were bigger.  I remember seeing several Star Trek films there.  

I remember going to see Star Trek, The Voyage Home at the Met as a crossing guard with crossing guards from around the city. That was fun.

I remember going to movies at the City Place, when they had a theatre, eating with my step-father at Taco Time. We saw Ferris Bueller's, Short Circuit, and more there ~'86-'88. 

53 minutes ago, JCon said:

I forgot to provide feedback. I watched last weekend. 

This was VERY good. Short vignettes and stories. I really liked it. 

Tom Waits stole the show. But each story was unique and well told. A bit campy but everything works. 

Totally Agree. It is very good- the cinematography was amazing, acting- top notch, and the writing was poignant and witty. Not for everyone, but a must for Coen Brother fans. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I remember going to see Star Trek, The Voyage Home at the Met as a crossing guard with crossing guards from around the city. That was fun.

I remember going to movies at the City Place, when they had a theatre, eating with my step-father at Taco Time. We saw Ferris Bueller's, Short Circuit, and more there ~'86-'88. 

I dont even recall City Place theater though its possible we went there as kids.  

As a teenager, we went to the Convention Centre theater for a time...they did like a Friday Midnight showing of an older films.  A group of us would go.  I remember it was always freezing cold in there.

Went to Cinema City a lot when it was on Plaza Dr and was a cheap second run theater, perfect for us young folk with no money (late teens/early 20's).  And became almost exclusively a VIP customer when Cinema City moved to McGillivray and became VIP.

Just recently, I re-discovered Grant Park which is an amazing theater.  All reserved seats with big easy-chair style leather sears that have power recline.  Fantastic!

PS: Steinbach has a great theater and you wouldnt think so.  One screen so they get films late but they have easy chairs, love seats etc.  Super comfy.