Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

saw that halloween trailer this morning while I watched my pvr'd Fear the walking dead from last night... gotta say Jamie Lee Curtis as a "trained" silver haired old bag does absolutely nothing for me in selling this movie as something worth watching.  Only reason I gave the last 2 any time of day was because Rob Zombie was directing and even then,  then 2nd was just all kinds of stupid

46 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

saw that halloween trailer this morning while I watched my pvr'd Fear the walking dead from last night... gotta say Jamie Lee Curtis as a "trained" silver haired old bag does absolutely nothing for me in selling this movie as something worth watching.  Only reason I gave the last 2 any time of day was because Rob Zombie was directing and even then,  then 2nd was just all kinds of stupid

Where's Eli Roth when you need him?

12 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I thought the trailer looked good.  JLC is sort of Sarah Connor'ing it but thats ok. 

Speaking of which, they announced a young actor playing John Connor in the New Terminator and the rumor is, hes a stand in for Eddie Furlong's character from T2.  So seems like we'll get some time jumping.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I thought the trailer looked good.  JLC is sort of Sarah Connor'ing it but thats ok. 

Speaking of which, they announced a young actor playing John Connor in the New Terminator and the rumor is, hes a stand in for Eddie Furlong's character from T2.  So seems like we'll get some time jumping.

Don't we always?

16 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Don't we always?

Well thats true lol.  But I meant re-visiting elements of past films.  Its supposed to be a sequel to T2 so it could just be the movie picks up right after but I think they'd have a hard time with Sarah Connor's age (unless they de-age her).  But using de-age CGI and CGI-ing the actor to look like Furlong would probably eat up a lot of budget, not to mention a young Arnold.

I had heard Arnold would play a human who the Terminator was based on so he'd have to exist around the time of the 90's...so maybe they are doing that.  Who knows.

I sort of expected it to be more like the last film where it hopped to the past and we saw some brief snippets from that time (which were the best part of that movie).

6 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

They not even try to hide Emilia's height :)

She was so badly cast in that role.  She was okay if it was 1984 Sarah.  But the idea she'd be training with Arnold for so long and would be 1984 Sarah and not 1992 Sarah didnt make sense to me.

And as soon as they had the T-1000 and they cast an actor that vaguely resembled Robert Patrick (even though he was Asian if I recall) rather then using CGI to make it actually Robert Patrick, I was like yeah, this is gonna suck.

Ewan McGregor will play grown up Danny Torrance in the film adaptation of Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining.

In the novel, Danny Torrance, the young son of Jack and Wendy Torrance in The Shining, is a grown adult and still dealing with his abilities that he first experienced at the Overlook Hotel. Like his father, he starts down a dangerous path of alcohol and rage until he comes into contact with a young girl in a hospice who shares his “shining” abilities, and who is also being targeted by a group with the same capabilities.

Latino Review:

Solo: A Star Wars Story was kind of a failure, financially. Given how much money was spent on this money in the wake of firing previous directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller, it really had to perform gangbusters in order to break even. Now, with it taking less than $340 million worldwide in four weeks, it’s clear that it couldn’t even perform better than Marvel’s worst performers. Had this been your average ordinary blockbuster with a normal production budget, this may have been forgiven, but alas, Solo is not that film, and therefore, this could not fly.

With this in mind, it was a given that there would be some kind of action over at Lucasfilm. Collider is reporting that the studio is indeed taking action, and that action is probably the most logical one: putting all Star Wars spin-off films on hold. That’s right. Until further notice, no longer will we get any of these “A Star Wars Story” movies that, admittedly, few have actually asked for.

The outlet stated that the Obi-Wan movie was actively in development, but that those involved (including director Stephen Daldry) have since parted ways. Also, that recent report of James Mangold being in talks to write and direct a Boba Fett movie? Also likely nixed due to this new approach.

So what will Lucasfilm actually focus on? They will instead be shifting their focus on the next large-scale Star Wars series. As of this writing, the ones that have been announced are Rian Johnson’s new trilogy, which is separate from the main saga, and Game of Thrones creators D.B. Weiss and David Benioff’s upcoming “series” of Star Wars films.

From the sound of it, they’ve learned that these overarching stories are really what audiences are looking for, not one-off tales that enrich the universe.

I think they're wrong on the last count.  Rogue One made over a billion dollars so its weird to nix these films after one disappointing outting.  The problem was Solo was poorly cast, poorly produced and was a story no one cared about.  Spin off films should support the Saga, like Rogue One did.

22 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Latino Review:

I think they're wrong on the last count.  Rogue One made over a billion dollars so its weird to nix these films after one disappointing outting.  The problem was Solo was poorly cast, poorly produced and was a story no one cared about.  Spin off films should support the Saga, like Rogue One did.

And yet they gave Rian a trilogy. Do they not know the hate half the fans have for this?

26 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Latino Review:

For me, Rogue One worked as it fit inside the story line. I've not seen Solo and probably won't until it's on TV because it isn't really part of the story line. I'd be happier to see an animated story telling what's gone on between ROTJ and TFA.

Not sure of the point of an Obi-Wan story and Boba Fett? Really? Why?

I'm surprised it didn't do better. Although, it felt as though it kind of "snuck up" this year. I would have preferred a Xmas time release. And, the negativity right from the start helped to kill it too. 

I know it doesn't fit into the regular timeline but it's the backstory to one of, if not, the most popular characters. 

It was a bad movie, so it makes sense it didn't do well. 

I'm disappointed that we won't see more origin films, like "Lando: This is Coruscant".

I think Rogue One tells us people will enjoy a "new" cast film if it tells us a story about the Saga.  We want to see Empire and heroes and a chapter of the story of the fight between good and evil.

I watched Solo again last night and its still boring.  Even as I enjoyed the action scenes, I didnt care about them.  Solo would be a hard story to tell within the Saga.  But they added more vader to Rogue One...they know thats what fans want to see.  Who was clamoring for a Solo film?  We want Obi-Wan.  We want Vader.  Make that movie and its another billion dollar take.

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think Rogue One tells us people will enjoy a "new" cast film if it tells us a story about the Saga.  We want to see Empire and heroes and a chapter of the story of the fight between good and evil.

I watched Solo again last night and its still boring.  Even as I enjoyed the action scenes, I didnt care about them.  Solo would be a hard story to tell within the Saga.  But they added more vader to Rogue One...they know thats what fans want to see.  Who was clamoring for a Solo film?  We want Obi-Wan.  We want Vader.  Make that movie and its another billion dollar take.

Meh. Still not convinced I want either. I'm not sure the point of either this far into the saga. Show us how the Republic overcame the vestiges of the Empire, how the New Order came to be. More interested in that than a story line that goes nowhere.

4 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

Meh. Still not convinced I want either. I'm not sure the point of either this far into the saga. Show us how the Republic overcame the vestiges of the Empire, how the New Order came to be. More interested in that than a story line that goes nowhere.

Yeah that has merit too.  The idea of the New Order leaves a sour taste in my mouth since it undoes the happy heroic ending of Jedi.  I guess thats going to be the story line of the upcoming TV show.

22 hours ago, tacklewasher said:

For me, Rogue One worked as it fit inside the story line. I've not seen Solo and probably won't until it's on TV because it isn't really part of the story line. I'd be happier to see an animated story telling what's gone on between ROTJ and TFA.

Not sure of the point of an Obi-Wan story and Boba Fett? Really? Why?

I liked Rogue One for the most part especially the sunset ending but boy did I hate the beginning when i first saw it.

I know I know...hate leads to suffering!