The Star Trek Thread!

13 hours ago, JCon said:

Everyone favourite crew is back:

I get the criticisms of this show but I'm excited that they're going so far into the future. I always like to see how the writers envision the demise of the Federation and what emerges from the ashes. 

This could be such a great show but it's not. It doesn't hold a candle to Deep Space Nine or even TNG. All it has going for it are today's special effects. 

Best Star Trek crew is Deep Space Nine. The characters are terrific. Got a little too religious for me at times but other areas make up for it. The back & forth tete a tete between Sisko & Gul Du Kat, Bashir & O'Brien's friendship, Bashir's fixation with Garek being a member of the Obsidian Order & might be spy on board the Space Station. Quark & Odo supposed hatred of one another turning into a friendship with one another even though neither wanted to admit it. Well written & acted. The best series of the bunch. 

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Best Star Trek crew is Deep Space Nine. The characters were terrific. Got a little too religious for me at times but other areas make up for it. The back & forth tete a tete between Sisko & Gul Du Kat, Bashir & O'Brien's friendship, Bashir's fixation with Garek being a member of the Obsidian Order & might be spy on board the Space Station. Quark & Odo supposed hatred of one another turning into a friendship with one another even though neither wanted to admit it. Well written & acted. The best series of the bunch. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-09-09 at 10:13 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Best Star Trek crew is Deep Space Nine. The characters are terrific. Got a little too religious for me at times but other areas make up for it. The back & forth tete a tete between Sisko & Gul Du Kat, Bashir & O'Brien's friendship, Bashir's fixation with Garek being a member of the Obsidian Order & might be spy on board the Space Station. Quark & Odo supposed hatred of one another turning into a friendship with one another even though neither wanted to admit it. Well written & acted. The best series of the bunch. 

The fixed location lent itself to having to actually do some character development rather than relying on the alien of the week. 

They rubbed some dirt on the series which was much needed. AND it totally redeemed the ferengi and made them a race that was actually interesting and not just a pathetic joke. 

31 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The fixed location lent itself to having to actually do some character development rather than relying on the alien of the week. 

They rubbed some dirt on the series which was much needed. AND it totally redeemed the ferengi and made them a race that was actually interesting and not just a pathetic joke. 

Quark turned out to be one of the best characters ever.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2020-09-09 at 9:44 PM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Really? ST:V is the best crew in your eyes. Interesting choice. I totally respect your choice, just surprised- I honestly think you are the first to claim that.

Neelix, Janeway and Tom killed it for me.

I'm more of a ST:TNG or ST:DS9 guy.

I didn't mind Tom but Neelix was the Jar Jar Binks of Star Trek lore, Just an annoying asshat of a character.  What else can you say about Janeway who always lectured others about the importance of the Prime Directive to others & yet broke it everytime to serve her interests. 

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I didn't mind Tom but Neelix was the Jar Jar Binks of Star Trek lore, Just an annoying asshat of a character.  What else can you say about Janeway who always lectured others about the importance of the Prime Directive to others & yet broke it everytime to serve her interests. 

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Jane-way.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Jane-way.

I have no idea how Enterprise lasted only 4 years but Voyager 7. Archer at least had an excuse for making bad judgements in new situations never presented before but what was Janeway's excuse except being incompetent? And when she got back to earth they made her an Admiral. 

I'm in the minority I know but I liked Enterprise. I thought the series was finding its legs in seasons 3 & 4 until that horrific final episode which was Rick Berman's Eff You to the Star Trek Universe. I thought the Xindi storyline in season 3 & early formation of what was to become The United Federation of Planets in season 4 was excellent. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

46 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I have no idea how Enterprise lasted only 4 years but Voyager 7. Archer at least had an excuse for making bad judgements in new situations never presented before but what was Janeway's excuse except being incompetent? And when she got back to earth they made her an Admiral. 

I'm in the minority I know but I liked Enterprise. I thought the series was finding its legs in seasons 3 & 4 until that horrific final episode which was Rick Berman's Eff You to the Star Trek Universe. I thought the Xindi storyline in season 3 & early formation of what was to become The United Federation of Planets in season 4 was excellent. 

Trek was a snowball going downhill after Insurrection.

Saw ST:Disco S03E01 last night.

I enjoyed it. I think this seasons going to be pretty good. 

The future tech looks futuristic for Star Trek... but 1000 years in the future "futuristic".... I don't think so.

Regardless, I enjoyed it and look forward to the next episode.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

40 minutes ago, JCon said:

I've started watching DS9 again. I've never watched it start to finish. I'm on the 6th episode.

I've probably watched 70% of the episodes but never all the way through. 

Some of those early seasons are really uneven. Few years ago I did the same, had seen most of the episode but not every single one. Was a fun watch though. I did the same for TNG and honestly I found there were more bad TNG episodes than DS9. 

46 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Saw ST:Disco S03E01 last night.

I enjoyed it. I think this seasons going to be pretty good. 

The future tech looks futuristic for Star Trek... but 1000 years in the future "futuristic".... I don't think so.

Regardless, I enjoyed it and look forward to the next episode.

Yeah. let's see how it goes. I thought Disco was bad until I saw Picard. As for future tech, well it was all right.

Also binging Lower Decks. Good fun.

43 minutes ago, JCon said:

I've started watching DS9 again. I've never watched it start to finish. I'm on the 6th episode.

Lucky bastard. Pretty episodic for about 2 years then the dots connect.

With all the actor deaths  we'll never get a reunion now.

Just now, 17to85 said:

Some of those early seasons are really uneven. Few years ago I did the same, had seen most of the episode but not every single one. Was a fun watch though. I did the same for TNG and honestly I found there were more bad TNG episodes than DS9. 

Yes, I'm eagerly awaiting the Dominion. 

So far, it's been rehashes of prior storylines (Vash, Q and Locutus) and introductions of the new(ish) characters. 

The last episode I saw was excellent, though. Season 1, Episode 8 - Dax. It spends a lot of time talking about Trills, the host and symbiont and "who" they are when they come together. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Yes, I'm eagerly awaiting the Dominion. 

So far, it's been rehashes of prior storylines (Vash, Q and Locutus) and introductions of the new(ish) characters. 

The last episode I saw was excellent, though. Season 1, Episode 8 - Dax. It spends a lot of time talking about Trills, the host and symbiont and "who" they are when they come together. 

It just ignored most the the ST:TNG episode about the Trills. In that one, despite a change of sex of the host, the resulting person was the same.

1 minute ago, tacklewasher said:

It just ignored most the the ST:TNG episode about the Trills. In that one, despite a change of sex of the host, the resulting person was the same.

The DS9 explanation was far more thoughtful, in my mind. Also, it gives Dax (all forms) more depth. 

Star Trek redoes things a lot and rewrites history. Not always for the better. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Tracker said:

Babylon 5 was the high-water mark for Sci-Fi series. The creator was given a 5-year contract to ensure the characters and plots could evolve naturally, and did. Good stuff- I still have the DVDs.

Here comes the remake!

I'm just closing out Battlestar Galactica. 10 eps to go.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg