The Star Trek Thread!

• 3 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see what happens with Star Trek.  Disco season 3 is coming for sure (in post production now, though possibly delayed due to editing and SFX being done from "home").  Section 31 seems like it was pushed back which doesnt bother me because it sounds terrible.  And the hot rumour is the next series is Pike which is hilarious since it means they were being dishonest about the need to move Disco away from "canon".

Another rumour is they want to do a big cross over when all the shows air.  

One thing Ill say, Im still not convinced about the current team.  Havent seen the Picard finale yet but as much I enjoyed it, and its way better than Disco, it still has the same fingerprints as Disco in terms of poor writing, lazy creative, convoluted plots etc   Maybe I missed something but I still dont even understand the whole Borg sub-plot or why it was necessary.  And making the android able to mind meld just so we could see the vision was as lazy of a plot contrivance in any trek series.

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with Star Trek.  Disco season 3 is coming for sure (in post production now, though possibly delayed due to editing and SFX being done from "home").  Section 31 seems like it was pushed back which doesnt bother me because it sounds terrible.  And the hot rumour is the next series is Pike which is hilarious since it means they were being dishonest about the need to move Disco away from "canon".

Another rumour is they want to do a big cross over when all the shows air.  

One thing Ill say, Im still not convinced about the current team.  Havent seen the Picard finale yet but as much I enjoyed it, and its way better than Disco, it still has the same fingerprints as Disco in terms of poor writing, lazy creative, convoluted plots etc   Maybe I missed something but I still dont even understand the whole Borg sub-plot or why it was necessary.  And making the android able to mind meld just so we could see the vision was as lazy of a plot contrivance in any trek series.

I just don't get why the samurai guy is there? So far he hasn't done much. And they keep killing off beloved characters like Hugh for no reason. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I just don't get why the samurai guy is there? So far he hasn't done much. And they keep killing off beloved characters like Hugh for no reason. 

Because swords are flashy. It has always stumped me that adversaries in sci-fi choose to use bladed weapons to fight when they could stand meters away and kill their opponents. But then, in firefights, everyone can be 10 meters away from each other and miss repeatedly. Plus, the number one bad guy must always be killed or captured by the number one good guy. And in horror movies, when someone (usually a scantily-clad young lady) is alone in a dark place and hears a scary noise, she is compelled to walk slowly towards it.

8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I actually like Elnor. He’s sort of the spock of the show but he’s been very under used.  Seemed like a 6 hour story but they had ten hours to fill.  Which is something disco suffered from too 

Which is why one plot story 10 episodes long doesn't work any better than a 22 one hour episodic series with a single story in each. Fans here have said that the writing would be better as less episodes mean less fill but like Discovery that hasn't happened. The real story here is the T'al Shiar infiltrating Star Fleet but it is an afterthought. Instead. it's a mission to save Data's synthetic daughter Soji.

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Which is why one plot story 10 episodes long doesn't work any better than a 22 one hour episodic series with a single story in each. Fans here have said that the writing would be better as less episodes mean less fill but like Discovery that hasn't happened. The real story here is the T'al Shiar infiltrating Star Fleet but it is an afterthought. Instead. it's a mission to save Data's synthetic daughter Soji.

I think they just need better pacing.  Even the sopranos, the greatest tv drama of all time, had over arching stories but several stories that spanned one episode.   It doesn’t have to be a ten hour movie to still have a main season long story. 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Which is why one plot story 10 episodes long doesn't work any better than a 22 one hour episodic series with a single story in each.

I still go back to Babylon 5. Except for the first part of season 5, when they scrambled after not expecting the season, they had a good balance of an 5 yr underlying story with single episodes stories built in. I thought it was a good plan for keeping a series interesting.

DS9 from the end of season 2 til the end of its run had the Dominion War arc and beautifully wove the big multi-season war story with smaller multi-episode stories and single episode stories.  For modern premium tv storytelling, you lean more towards a bigger story, but they should be looking at great TV like Sopranos...and well every show really.  They're a bit too much Westworld without being as good as Westworld.  Cause if Westworld wasnt great, it would suck, because of its storytelling.  No middle ground.

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And that scene only exists because Harrison Ford was sick during filming that day and didn't really have the energy for the big fight scene so this was the solution. Happy little accident that worked out better in the long run

As for Picard, I've enjoyed it, but it's far from perfect. The writing isn't phenomenal to be honest. Kind of holds things back. I also feel like they sort of gloss over too much of what happened in Deep Space Nine. Surely you would think that a major war like that would have lasting repercussions, yet it never comes up and it takes place as if that series never happened at all. 

7 hours ago, tacklewasher said:

I still go back to Babylon 5. Except for the first part of season 5, when they scrambled after not expecting the season, they had a good balance of an 5 yr underlying story with single episodes stories built in. I thought it was a good plan for keeping a series interesting.

I miss Babylon 5. You never see it in reruns anywhere. I agree BTW.

8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think they just need better pacing.  Even the sopranos, the greatest tv drama of all time, had over arching stories but several stories that spanned one episode.   It doesn’t have to be a ten hour movie to still have a main season long story. 

Agree. Things just become bogged down with a singular plot line the entire time. I still prefer 22 one hour long episodes where there can be different one hour stories within a storyline.

In TNG, we were allowed to see how Data longed to be human & his attempts to be so. Especially the episode about time. Or Q giving Data the gift of laughter for a few short seconds. Worf was originally just a Klingon security officer but over the years we saw his character develop into a deeply religious Klingon who was very proud of both his Klingon & human roots. And we learned more about Klingon values than we ever did on any other Star Trek series. How Picard went from a lonely child hating grumpy old man in TNG's first season  to a still gruff but kind hearted person who had a love of history & geology. The episode where an alien probe allowed him to have something he never had ; a wife & family. We see the loneliness he experienced when he out it wasn't real & his questioning of the choices he made in his life. I believe fans voted that episode the most popular ever of that series. 

None of these characters in today's Trek Universe would be allowed to grow & develop like that. You'd never see an episode that is solely concentrated on Picard being a husband & father on Discovery or the series Picard because it would take away from the 10 story arc. Yet it worked to perfection on a 22 one hour episodic sci fi series. In today's Trek World, there's no time for real character development. However, getting to know each  character  made Star Trek what it was going all the way back to Kirk in TOS. We saw the characters change in front of our eyes & we were invested in the different series because of it. 

I'll take a 22 episode season even with 4 or 5 duds over one that is 10 as the good outweighs the bad. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, tacklewasher said:

I have all on DVD (except the Legends of the Rangers and the Lost Tales, both crap). Might dust them off if I'm stuck at home for long.

Great series. I remember at the time there was this ongoing discussion among sci fi fans which series was better. As big a Trek fan that am, I have to say Babylon 5 was much better. It lasted 5 seasons with over 100 episodes. Really surprised CTV Sci Fi doesn't play it.  Never understood why they fired Michael O'Hare who played Commander Jeffrey Sinclair & replaced him with Commander John Sheridan played by Bruce Boxleitner.

I think they’re just trying to reinvent the wheel.  For a bunch of experienced tv and film people they don’t understand their own premise.  Look at DS9. And look at Sopranos. Heck even TWD has individual episodes.  

Both Picard and Disco have had pacing issues.  Disco even had to have extra episodes tacked on because they couldn’t finish their story in the allotted time.  

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Great series. I remember at the time there was this ongoing discussion among sci fi fans which series was better. As big a Trek fan that am, I have to say Babylon 5 was much better. It lasted 5 seasons with over 100 episodes. Really surprised CTV Sci Fi doesn't play it.  Never understood why they fired Michael O'Hare who played Commander Jeffrey Sinclair & replaced him with Commander John Sheridan played by Bruce Boxleitner.

O'Hare was diagnosed with a debilitating illness and asked to be written out. There's a video of the creator(JMS) finally revealing this.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg