The Star Trek Thread!

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

True- but the way series are formatted these days is a lot more palatable...  having  three series with 24,hour long episodes is a bit much and easily leads to fatigue... but these 1hr, 10 episode seasons are really good and always leaves you wanting more it iseems... 

I think this new serial format will go over very well...

I tend to agree.  I think cbs sees Star Trek spiking subs and they likely see a drop when trek is off.  

it’s a bit of a surprise because the shows are very expensive but I guess CBS opened a lot of budget for the streaming service.  Plus they likely see savings based on re-using various things among the different series.  For that reason I’d expect them to have a split between eras.  Like Picard and probably Academy being post TNG era.   Pike and Sec 31 being tos era. Although sec 31 could be future too. Who knows.  Disco will probably end up using some Picard era stuff too I bet.  

they have also been successful at getting tax breaks in various locations for filming.   

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

True- but the way series are formatted these days is a lot more palatable...  having  three series with 24,hour long episodes is a bit much and easily leads to fatigue... but these 1hr, 10 episode seasons are really good and always leaves you wanting more it iseems... 

I think this new serial format will go over very well...

Don't agree. With 10 episodes, they can't tell a proper story as they are rushed & details overlooked with multiple things going on at once which gets confusing. With a 22 episode season, things can s l o w...  d o w n...  & these stories can be told. To me, these short seasons & having to wait a year or more for the next is a major downfall. Star Trek was once known to be able to weave a story to the viewers.  Now it's all about action sequences &  special effects shock & awe. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Don't agree. With 10 episodes, they can't tell a proper story as they are rushed & details overlooked with multiple things going on at once which gets confusing. With a 22 episode season, things can s l o w...  d o w n...  & these stories can be told. To me, these short seasons & having to wait a year or more for the next is a major downfall. Star Trek was once known to be able to weave a story to the viewers.  Now it's all about action sequences &  special effects shock & awe. 

I kind of agree.  I think 13 episodes would actually be better, and also, I wish they would stop doing the "whole season is one big story arc" thing.  I'd prefer if they had a larger story arc, but also had mini arcs in each episode so we could explore the galaxy more.  It makes rewatching the episodes more enjoyable because you can just watch one episode.  Whereas this whole season is one story is annoying since it's like on big long 10 hour movie.  And they're doing that will all shows nowadays which is kind of annoying.  And the long hiatus in between is even more irritating.

16 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Nah. Good writing is good writing.  And disco has suffered from poor planning and some shoddy writing.  

many shows have had limited episodes and been fantastic.  Plus when Trek has 20+ episodes they weren’t serialized so there were no 20 episode storylines.  

they’d also have to have cheap episodes so they could spend more on bigger episodes. The current format is better for FX and serialized story telling.  As long as the writing is good.  

I bet Picard will be better. I doubt Stewart would let them get to the point where they run out of episodes like happened on disco. (To be fair it even happened on the sopranos). 

8 hours ago, Logan007 said:

I kind of agree.  I think 13 episodes would actually be better, and also, I wish they would stop doing the "whole season is one big story arc" thing.  I'd prefer if they had a larger story arc, but also had mini arcs in each episode so we could explore the galaxy more.  It makes rewatching the episodes more enjoyable because you can just watch one episode.  Whereas this whole season is one story is annoying since it's like on big long 10 hour movie.  And they're doing that will all shows nowadays which is kind of annoying.  And the long hiatus in between is even more irritating.

Great post, Just goes on & on.

On 2020-01-13 at 12:42 PM, Logan007 said:

Bottle episodes? Yikes. That was ST:NGs biggest faults. Too many episodes where everything started and finished in one shot. No longterm ramifications, no nothing, everything is forgotten, nothing takes more than seven days before the next thing happens. 

The best thing about TV nowadays is that when things happen, they matter and carry forward. 

12 hours ago, JCon said:

Bottle episodes? Yikes. That was ST:NGs biggest faults. Too many episodes where everything started and finished in one shot. No longterm ramifications, no nothing, everything is forgotten, nothing takes more than seven days before the next thing happens. 

The best thing about TV nowadays is that when things happen, they matter and carry forward. 

Disagree.  TNG was a great show and I loved the one hour episodes where I didn't have to watch the whole ******* series just to see what happens.  If you want to watch an episode of Discovery, you can't just pick one random episode to watch.  You have to watch the whole series.  It's stupid.

But my point above was, it should be a mix of TNG and Discovery.  Kind of like DS9, where there was a larger story arch behind all these mini ones.

DS9 definitely did it best but they were only allowed to because Exec producer Rick Berman didn’t really get it and focused on tng.  

serialized story telling is all the rage now with the idea it builds viewer loyalty.  It might be more difficult to watch a random episode of Disco but if it wasn’t serialized it would be just as easy to not watch at all. Although I think disco didn’t do a very good job making episodes flow. 

TNG did bottle episodes as a way of saving money. Any episode coming in under budget allowed them to go over budget on other episodes.  Sometimes those episodes were great because without all the flash and sizzle they has to be well written  and well acted. 

Generally TNG episodes did matter even though it was not serialized.  Picard and crusher relationship (both crushers). Troi & Riker. Troi & Worf.  Data’s exploration of humanity.  “World events” etc.   You didn’t really have to see every episode to understand but If you did, you could appreciate the evolution of the characters and show more.  

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Generally TNG episodes did matter even though it was not serialized.  Picard and crusher relationship (both crushers). Troi & Riker. Troi & Worf.  Data’s exploration of humanity.  “World events” etc.   You didn’t really have to see every episode to understand but If you did, you could appreciate the evolution of the characters and show more.  

Also the whole Q storyline went through the entire series from beginning to end.

Just watched Picard... it is really good. 

Well written, wonderfully acted and the cinematography is crazy good.  I have no qualms about this episode at all.

It is very rewarding for fans of ST:TNG and the movies with that crew- lots of fan service without crossing over to be pandering... there is a warm feeling of nostalgia- like picking up and  opening a favourite book that you haven't read in forever. 

This is a return to a Star trek that is cerebral, introspective and asks us to evaluate our moral values. My entire family watched it and to a tee, the all enjoyed it. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Picard review

Spoiler

I've watched the ep twice now and leaning more towards disliking it.

First off I'm beginning to think now that Stewart was not acting in Logan. Yeah I know he was mid 70's in that and 79 now but i've seen spriter 7x year old actors.

Speaking of Logan, Dahj reminds me of X-23 aka Laura from that movie.

He sure seems ready to call her out quick as a replicant. The whole thing about born memories reminds me of Blade Runner 2049.

Does anyone trust those Romulan house guests?

Dahj meets Picard at Starfleet HQ and she says they(bad guys) are coming and the place disappears of people!? Apparently the roof is the safest place and the best way to get there is the stairs which is fun for a 79yr old.

Twins?

What's with the Romulan Borg cube?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

6 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:
Spoiler

I've watched the ep twice now and leaning more towards disliking it.

First off I'm beginning to think now that Stewart was not acting in Logan. Yeah I know he was mid 70's in that and 79 now but i've seen spriter 7x year old actors.

Speaking of Logan, Dahj reminds me of X-23 aka Laura from that movie.

He sure seems ready to call her out quick as a replicant. The whole thing about born memories reminds me of Blade Runner 2049.

Does anyone trust those Romulan house guests?

Dahj meets Picard at Starfleet HQ and she says they(bad guys) are coming and the place disappears of people!? Apparently the roof is the safest place and the best way to get there is the stairs.

Twins?

What's with the Romulan Borg cube?

Spoilers!

Is it spoilers when its four days later? lol

Thats one thing that jumped out at me, they get attacked on earth at a public location that is related to Starfleet...where is security?  Why are people able to beam in and out (should be a transporter restrictor over Earth, no?)

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Is it spoilers when its four days later? lol

Thats one thing that jumped out at me, they get attacked on earth at a public location that is related to Starfleet...where is security?  Why are people able to beam in and out (should be a transporter restrictor over Earth, no?)

It is when I didn't even know it started yet.  lol

3 hours ago, Logan007 said:

It is when I didn't even know it started yet.  lol

That's why i subscribe to TorrentAlert.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Why are people able to beam in and out (should be a transporter restrictor over Earth, no?)

Well in a TNG episode(the one with the devil) the bad guys did have a quick transporter system.

Wait till you see the new in-town transporter system. Glad they fixed the bugs.

Finally was able to watch it.  I really enjoyed it.  I wonder how Data made his daughters without anyone else knowing about it.  I guess what happened with Lal probably made him distrust wanting anyone to know he was doing it again.

I trust the Romulan's that are with Picard.  Not sure about the rest of them.