The Star Trek Thread!

4 hours ago, iso_55 said:

No, just figured that since it's on CBS albeit not the regular network that it would be a standard 22 episode season. Wanna bet that if this series becomes a hit that it won't be on the main network at some point?

Did not BSG go to NBC for a bit after running on SyFy?

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I'd bet it will never be on CBS. It would have to generate big ratings to warrant airing on the main network in prime time. The fact it's going to be the cornerstone of their streaming service is good news as far as longevity of the series goes. 

Outside of the premiere episode ofcourse which is huge that it's good to be on CBS. 

4 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

IIRC it had a few episodes aired on the network during the summer to try to boost ratings on SyFy. They did it with Veronica Mars when it was on UPN too. 

Trekmovie:

CBS’s new live action Star Trek series will roll out one episode per week, CBS CEO Les Moonves told reporters today in his quaterly earnings call. He also confirmed that the studio is on track for its originally planned premiere date of January, 2017.

With CBS’s move to put its new as yet unnamed Star Trek television series on their streaming only platform, CBS All Access, fans have been wondering: what exactly will Star Trek All Access be like?

Following the traditional model of network television, Les Moonves said today that the new Star Trek show will roll out one episode per week. This is unlike many other shows purpose built for over-the-top streaming platforms, such as those on Netflix, which release entire seasons in one fell swoop.

Moonves also confirmed that Trek, on track to premiere in January of next year, will be the first of 3 or 4 more original shows for the All Access platform, but that doesn’t mean we won’t be able to watch CBS shows elsewhere, too.

As Deadline reports: Moonves says he would “absolutely” consider offering CBS on Hulu’s planned skinny bundle service “if they offer us the right pricing for our subs.” That’s consistent with his view that new services will be “a huge positive” for CBS because they’ll need the network and will pay rates “even higher than from our current partners.”

That said, Moonves isn’t worried about other online competitors eating into CBS’s profits. “Questions are now arising about the effectiveness of certain digital media platforms,” said Moonves, noting that marketers “get their best returns” from broadcast television.

2 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

But no mention of how it can be viewed in Canada? Can we even get All Access?

They had previously said there would deals in place outside the US for terrestrial channel viewing.  They havent offered any details other than to say deals they have made account for most of the budget so the series is essentially already a money maker for CBS.  Id be shocked if it didnt air in Canada on a cable station as one would think Canada is a big audience for Star Trek.

We'll be able to see it...just not sure where yet.

16 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Not a fan. Lame and desperate on Voy part to sex up the show. If you can't write a better show make it a sexier show. 

See now while she wore the tight tight uniform all the time which was obviously playing on the sex appeal I thought she was one of the stronger characters in that abortion of a show anyway. Apart from her and the doctor the rest of the cast might as well have been card board cut outs for all the personality they had. 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

See now while she wore the tight tight uniform all the time which was obviously playing on the sex appeal I thought she was one of the stronger characters in that abortion of a show anyway. Apart from her and the doctor the rest of the cast might as well have been card board cut outs for all the personality they had. 

I think in a series with very little character depth or development, Seven and the Doctor were the two that had clear and obvious arcs.  They were the "Spock" and "Data", the outsiders look at the human condition which is prevalent in Star Trek.

Although I enjoyed TNG's take on the Borg who suddenly begins thinking for himself (Hugh) as he didnt have to wear a skin tight outfit or be used for sex appeal. 

Voyager made the conscious decision to neuter their characters.  There was an early episode where Paris was in trouble (I think accused of murdering a man who's wife he slept with) and if I recall the story was changed to mute Paris' role in what happened rather then let him be more unscrupulous.   And ofcourse, the major story coming out of the premiere was the co-existence of the Starfleet and Maquis crew which they barely did anything with.  Can't have conflict.

I never cared much for janeway. To me, anyway she had few redeeming qualities. I just found her to be arrogant to the point of being stupid. Like they're trying to get home after she marooned her crew 70,000 light years from Earth. You'd think they'd be trying to ration resources. Instead, she runs off course constantly exploring scientific objects or planets. Her only objective should be just to get home as fast as they can. Yet she puts her crew in harms way all the time. Just the use of the replicators in Neelix's kitchen in the mess hall or in crew's quarters must have been a huge drain of resources yet they carried on like it was no big deal.

4 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I never cared much for janeway. To me, anyway she had few redeeming qualities. I just found her to be arrogant to the point of being stupid. Like they're trying to get home after she marooned her crew 70,000 light years from Earth. You'd think they'd be trying to ration resources. Instead, she runs off course constantly exploring scientific objects or planets. Her only objective should be just to get home as fast as they can. Yet she puts her crew in harms way all the time. Just the use of the replicators in Neelix's kitchen in the mess hall or in crew's quarters must have been a huge drain of resources yet they carried on like it was no big deal.

I think the rational for that was that it would take 70 years at maximum warp to get home so it was a death sentence for everyone on board anyway.  And to get home any earlier than their grand children, they'd need to find new technologies or warm holes or the other "Caretaker" that could help them along the way.  So it didnt cost them much to explore the Delta Quadrant so in the event they did make it home, they returned with a lot of information.

But I agree about Janeway.  She wasn't a favourite of mine either.

6 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Well that would be a boring show then wouldn't it?

"This Episode...Continually flying in the same direction...."

5 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Well that would be a boring show then wouldn't it?

"This Episode...Continually flying in the same direction...."

Maybe but... meeting alien species along the way. Then dealing with them. Janeway went light years out of her way to either piss alien races off or interfering in disputes by picking sides completely throwing the PD out the air lock.

Maybe but... meeting alien species along the way. Then dealing with them. Janeway went light years out of her way to either piss alien races off or interfering in disputes by picking sides completely throwing the PD out the air lock.

To be fair, that was more in tune with Kirk and TOS.  Just without good writing and good acting/characters.

The only 2 Captains to at least care about the PD & not just give it lip service were Picard & Cisco. Even they weren't without making mistakes or conveniently ignoring it when expedient. Janeway & Kirk ignored it. Janeway was just a stupid ***** but Kirk, at least he had a good reason... to get laid by some alien babe.

The only 2 Captains to at least care about the PD & not just give it lip service were Picard & Cisco. Even they weren't without making mistakes or conveniently ignoring it when expedient. Janeway & Kirk ignored it. Janeway was just a stupid ***** but Kirk, at least he had a good reason... to get laid by some alien babe.

I wouldn't even say Sisco, that dude said "**** it" to regulations all the time in order to get **** done. Picard was a slave to policy, Sisco was a man of action and the ends always justified the means. 

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I wouldn't even say Sisco, that dude said "**** it" to regulations all the time in order to get **** done. Picard was a slave to policy, Sisco was a man of action and the ends always justified the means. 

Sisko did manufacture evidence of of an assassination attempt to try and draw the Romulans into the Dominion War as an ally.  And when that didnt work, he basically allowed Garek to murder a diplomat.  Sisko was a badass

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

What was your favourite Trek show, 17to85?

One thing to consider when it comes to watching this in Canada is that Bell seems to be the exclusive home for Star Trek, airing the series' on Crave TV.  So I wonder if Bell would pay CBS for the Canadian rights and use it for Crave.

Rogers made a similar deal with WWE for "The Network", though put it on terrestrial TV rather than steaming.