The Star Trek Thread!

http://www.latino-review.com/news/star-trek-exclusive-trek-is-going-to-return-to-tv

So, GREAT news, Trekkers, CBS is looking to bring Star Trek back to TV.

The last we heard of a Star Trek TV series, was around 2006 before the Abrams movie planted its flag and destroyed most of what we knew (except Spock and - presumably  the plot of Star Trek: Enterprise)  there were two competing versions: Bryce Zabel (writer, Dark Skies) and J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5, but I like crediting him as the good writer on The Real Ghostbusters) pitched a version called “Star Trek: Reboot the Universe” that actually made it online in PDF form.

The second was developed closer to the JJ reboot and was written by producer Geoffrey Thorne, novelist and writer on things like Leverage and Criminal Intent and was called Star Trek: Federation and was conceptualized with producer Robert Burnett, Bryan Singer (the X-Men director and producer of TV’s House among others) and Christopher (director of Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation). This other series wouldn’t reboot the Star Trek universe, but would vault it forward past the DS9 and Voyager series timelines into a far flung future where the Utopia Federation that we knew from other TV series had become boring and complacent.

Federation would have seen the titular group reduced to a mere peacekeeping force as the old ways broke apart. Vulcans withdraw from the United Federation of Planets and reunify with the Romulans, the Bajorans of Deep Space Nine would have also withdrawn and become a planet full of religious monks, like a “Tibet in space.” The Klingons wouldn’t be as warrior-obsessed anymore, but would instead be warrior mystics. The Ferengi would have a female Nagus. The Cardassians would have abandoned war and become an artist/philosopher race.

In essence, Federation would have advanced the timeline of the Star Trek Universe far enough in the future to re-define some of the characters that had been the same since the original series’ inception.

We don’t have too many details about the new Star Trek series CBS is going to get working on, but I spent some time filling you in on Federation, because it seems like the same people who made that pitch could be involved. Bryan Singer's name has been mentioned for the new CBS Trek as a possible Executive Producer through his Bad Hat Harry productions. While "Star Trek: Reboot the Universe" was invalidated by 2008's movie Trek, Star Trek: Federation still has a trio of enthusiastic producers, a script and a writer ready to go should CBS decide to give Singer the ahead to develop this new series. 

Robert Burnett is rumored to be working on a non-Trek project with Skydance Productions (Skydance worked with Paramount, McQuarrie and Bad Robot on M:I 5) and simultaneously keeping one foot in the Trek world. He's currently producing (one of the producers) a project independent of all previously mentioned parties,  Star Trek: Axanar, a 90-minute fan-made feature film about "The Four Years War," as mentioned in the TOS episode "Whom Gods Destroy." The film has scraped up and impressive cast and released “Prelude to Axanar” last year to show how this great venture can be pulled off on a fan-donated budget:

That’s the sort of Star Trek product Brunett can use as an example of how producing a reasonably-budgeted TV series set in the Star Trek Universe this day and age should be a piece of cake.

Back to our Federation three:

CBS is interested in Bryan Singer developing (and Singer reportedly loves Prelude to Axanar) and Federation co-conspirator Chris McQuarrie was still game for the project as of last December, if Twitter is to be believed.

As far as when to expect some sort of official announcement about who snagged the NEW Trek production job, that’s a bit tougher to predict.

Star Trek 3 seems to be the Trek Paramount would like us to focus on (Elba for Mogh of the House of Martok, right Simon Pegg?), Singer is only tweeting about making the new X-Men movie and McQuarrie is wrapping up the edit on Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation for later this year. The Star Trek: Federation story document still exists, though, and I’m told Geoffrey Thorne might have taken that treatment all the way to a pilot script before the project cooled, which would allow this show to get off the ground much faster.

For the sharp-eye’d Trek fan, all eyes are on Star Trek: Axanar (official site here) to show off what Trek on a budget can look like. If that can work and CBS can see it work, then we might get a riff on Star Trek: Federation. Either way, CBS is convinced it's a good idea to probe the idea of a Star Trek TV show, so TV Trek’s likely on the way.

I’ve been saying it since summer of 2005…

...no, I’ve been saying it since summer of 1990: There should ALWAYS be Star Trek on TV

Edited by The Unknown Poster

I'm a little disappointed that so many retweeted/reblogged/repeated a rumor that appears to be baseless, without asking any questions.

There have been rumours about new Trek series for TV for years. The most credible was the one about Netflix being interested in doing a series because that one had actual quotes from the people involved. The rest were just wishful thinking.

Paramount is owned by CBS. CBS Television owns the rights to TV Trek according to Memory Alpha.

Also according to Memory Alpha, ST: Federation was an undeveloped series suggested back in 2005/2006 - after ENT was cancelled.

The website also says the Straczynski series was pitched and rejected in 2004.

This is how Memory Alpha explains it:

TV - CBS Television Distribution, CBS Paramount Network Television/CBS Television Studios, CBS Corporation (2005 – present)
Viacom had purchased the CBS Corporation in 2000. They split in 2005. The old Viacom then became the CBS Corporation. Its holding Paramount Television became CBS Paramount Network Television. CBS Television Distribution formed soon after and took over distribution of past Star Trek shows. In 2009, CBS Paramount Network Television became CBS Television Studios; CBS Television Studios has production rights for new Trek series, though it has not (yet) produced any under that name.

Movies, DVDs - Paramount Pictures, Viacom (new) (2005 – present)
In the 2005 Viacom/CBS split, the old Viacom became the CBS Corporation and a new Viacom was created. This new company owns Paramount Pictures which owns the Trek films. Paramount Pictures produced Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness under license from CBS Television Studios. Paramount continues to also distribute DVDs of the TV series on behalf of CBS.

As much as I would LOVE there to be a new Trek series I'm don't think it will happen anytime soon. 

This is how Memory Alpha explains it:

TV - CBS Television Distribution, CBS Paramount Network Television/CBS Television Studios, CBS Corporation (2005 – present)

Viacom had purchased the CBS Corporation in 2000. They split in 2005. The old Viacom then became the CBS Corporation. Its holding Paramount Television became CBS Paramount Network Television. CBS Television Distribution formed soon after and took over distribution of past Star Trek shows. In 2009, CBS Paramount Network Television became CBS Television Studios; CBS Television Studios has production rights for new Trek series, though it has not (yet) produced any under that name.

Movies, DVDs - Paramount Pictures, Viacom (new) (2005 – present)

In the 2005 Viacom/CBS split, the old Viacom became the CBS Corporation and a new Viacom was created. This new company owns Paramount Pictures which owns the Trek films. Paramount Pictures produced Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness under license from CBS Television Studios. Paramount continues to also distribute DVDs of the TV series on behalf of CBS.

As much as I would LOVE there to be a new Trek series I'm don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Scotland's People is the official government website for birth, marriage, death and census records for Scotland. You can view records going back hundreds of years online. Among the records available is the 1841 Scotland census which SP used for an April Fools joke. They really did a great job matching the handwriting so it looks authentic.

kirkandscotty1841crop.jpg

• 2 months later...

I think this is much ado about nothing. That "writer" owned a website using the Star Trek Beyond name which is the name of the new film. I think Pramount offered to listen to a pitch as part of getting the name.

The TV side of things is controlled by cbs so a legit TV would generally be made to cbs not paramount.

It's also not a great idea for a new TV show. Over the years people have attributed it as "Gene's mantra" to "always look forward" meaning keep pushing the time frame of a new tv series further and further into the future which is really short sighted and silly.

Make no mistake, Star Trek as a franchise is a mess.

• 4 months later...

One would presume but given the small window of the films I'd suspect it doesnt matter.  But I also suspect the TV show will have the same look and in-universe rules as the Bad Robot films.

Im surprised Bob Orci isnt a producer as well.  Then again, I think his role as producer of Beyond is more symbolic and legal than actual.