The Star Trek Thread!

3 hours ago, Logan007 said:

Enterprise was so boring to me.  Especially the crew.  I liked Scott Bakula, but the rest just seemed so lame.  To this day I don't think I watched all four seasons.  I just couldn't take it anymore.

Normally you have to get past the first season to get to the good stuff but in ENT's case you had to get through the first 2 season to get to the good stuff.

31 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Normally you have to get past the first season to get to the good stuff but in ENT's case you had to get through the first 2 season to get to the good stuff.

Nah, I watched the first 2 seasons and then episode's here and there.  Nothing grabbed at me.

11 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I like Bakula. But he was all wrong for that role. The supporting actors weren't bad though. 

Really?  I found them all so generic.  Bakula was the only one that brought some flavor to it.

I think the problem was that there were too many pretty boys on the show.  No one was just...normal or different.

Oh and I forgot about Dr. Phlox.  I liked him too.  He was at least different.

25 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Nah, I watched the first 2 seasons and then episode's here and there.  Nothing grabbed at me.

Well there's your problem. 3 was one giant storyline. 4 was 2 parters, 3 parters.

21 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Oh and I forgot about Dr. Phlox.  I liked him too.  He was at least different.

Well yeah cause his race was out of canon :P

Phlox was probably the best actor on the show. And his character was good. There were some good moral discussions with him. 

The cast wasn't great. But I thought they were decent enough.  Tripp was good. Yoshi (wait what was her name?) was oka. 

The security guy wasn't pretty. Lol. 

The Vulcan was fine. The problem with Vulcan characters is they don't want to repeat TOS and do a half Vulcan but they don't want a character that is always stoic and unemotional. Voy was actually decent with this but it doesn't make for a very interesting character. 

I might be in the minority but I thought the season three story arc was horrible. Worst season of the series. The 4th season mini arcs was better with the new head writer. But even at its best enterprise was never going to be as good as any of the other series' except maybe Voy. 

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Not true. If they first season was them sitting in an office discussing details of the build then yes that would be boring. But there is plenty of intrigue good writers could write.  And assume they would have been in space in some way just not on the enterprise. 

The first storyline with the Klingons were terrible and violated canon.  It drives me crazy when they either ignore canon or they complain about being handcuffed by canon. Good writers would love the challenge. If a writer wants to ignore what has come before then go write for something else.  Only write Star Trek if you love it and appreciate. 

I remember that first Enterprise episode somewhat even though I haven't seen it in a long time. How did it violate Canon since humans had never dealt with Klingons at the time. Seems Star Trek no matter what series are now off the air. Space was the only network carrying the series but for the last 2 years got stuck on Voyager & TNG instead of switiching to the original, Enterprise or DS9.  With my surgeries & being off work the past year recovering, I started watching Voy & TNG late at night as they came on here at 2 & 3 am but when each series ended, Space would just start both over again & again & again until the franchise was removed a couple of months ago. I expected them to switch to DS9 & TOS but never happened.

23 hours ago, iso_55 said:

I remember that first Enterprise episode somewhat even though I haven't seen it in a long time. How did it violate Canon since humans had never dealt with Klingons at the time. Seems Star Trek no matter what series are now off the air. Space was the only network carrying the series but for the last 2 years got stuck on Voyager & TNG instead of switiching to the original, Enterprise or DS9.  With my surgeries & being off work the past year recovering, I started watching Voy & TNG late at night as they came on here at 2 & 3 am but when each series ended, Space would just start both over again & again & again until the franchise was removed a couple of months ago. I expected them to switch to DS9 & TOS but never happened.

It had been referenced (I believe in an episode of TOS) that the Prime Directive was developed after First Contact with the Klingons ended disastrously.  So Enterprise showed us First Contact with the Klingons and it didn't end disastrously.  Sure, they weren't pals, but it wasn't a disaster.  Not to mention Earth was made to be a lot closer to Kronos in Enterprise than it should have been.

Additionally, the Vulcan's acted all wrong,  Ofcourse they eventually corrected this.

Then again, because that creative team coudlnt do anything that didn't involve time travel, they introduced the temporal cold war and thus, anything that happened could have been "wrong".  Really lazy.

However the good things Enterprise did:  The uniforms were great.  A nice combination of NASA flight suits and TOS unis.  The ship was pretty good.  The trouble was making a ship that was before TOS but using modern effects.  And they did a nice job.  Nothing there bothered me because some of the changes, like flat screen monitors are more about using modern tech that WOULD have been used if it were available in the 60's.

I think Enterprise should have been more focused on being the furthest deep space ship, more akin to TOS being out there on the frontier with little to no communication.  Instead it became just another TNG-lite show akin to Voyager.  If the DS9 writers were in charge of Enterprise, it would have been infinitely better.  

3 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

DS9 was the best series of all of them...  They totally wrapped the series up very well. Trying to remember but Cisco ascended to become a God leaving a sad Jake behind.

I remember some people not liking that as it was essentially a Dues Ex Machina finish where the Gods interjected to save the day.  But given the totality of the series, it made complete sense.  DS9 was very religious and it climaxed that sense in the end.  Loved it.  The only thing I disliked about the end of DS9 was that they had Ducat so insane and end up as the big bad guy.  I see why they did it, to pay off Sisco's arc with a suitable counter-character.  But if Ducat had been redeemed by stepping in to save the station and the Bajoran's, it would have been a nice pay off to him too.

On 30/04/2016 at 2:24 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

I remember some people not liking that as it was essentially a Dues Ex Machina finish where the Gods interjected to save the day.  But given the totality of the series, it made complete sense.  DS9 was very religious and it climaxed that sense in the end.  Loved it.  The only thing I disliked about the end of DS9 was that they had Ducat so insane and end up as the big bad guy.  I see why they did it, to pay off Sisco's arc with a suitable counter-character.  But if Ducat had been redeemed by stepping in to save the station and the Bajoran's, it would have been a nice pay off to him too.

Dukat was such a great foil for Sisco though, just chewing scenery left right and centre all series long. There was no other way to go but to have him as the big bad at the end. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

True.  I guess I love a good story of redemption.  They did sort of give that story to Dukat's right hand man..cant remember his name.  He was an alcoholic who rose to the occasion and defended Cardassia against the Dominion.

Damar.  He had a good arc in the final season.  But his death was rather abrupt.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Let's also give some props to Jeffery Combs for all the characters he's played in Star Trek, particularly in DS9, guy was just fantastic. 

He almost single handedly saved Enterprise.  And had Enterprise been given a 5th season, he was joining the cast (and starship crew) as a regular).

EDIT: When I hear the new series is looking at Tony Todd, its interesting because while he's "okay", there have been some truly great character actors appear on Star Trek over the years.  Combs in particular is someone I'd look at casting in any future series.  He's going to end up on the series eventually and probably steal the show, so just cast him as a regular off the hop.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He almost single handedly saved Enterprise.  And had Enterprise been given a 5th season, he was joining the cast (and starship crew) as a regular).

EDIT: When I hear the new series is looking at Tony Todd, its interesting because while he's "okay", there have been some truly great character actors appear on Star Trek over the years.  Combs in particular is someone I'd look at casting in any future series.  He's going to end up on the series eventually and probably steal the show, so just cast him as a regular off the hop.

Combs was on the 4400.  He was good in that series as well.

22 hours ago, johnzo said:

I'm liking what I'm hearing.  I'm really pumped at the idea of a seasonal Star Trek anthology.  10-13 episodes is an ideal amount of time to tell a tight closed-ended story. And Bryan Fuller does good work.

When CBS brings back Star Trek it would be a 22 week season chopped in 2 like they do now with their other shows. There may be 2 story arc over the season.

Edited by iso_55

7 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

When CBS brings back Star Trek it would be a 22 week season chopped in 2 like they do now with their other shows. There may be 2 story arc over the season.

Has that been announced?  Im under the impression it would be a more HBO-like 12-13 episode season.  But the longer the better...

37 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Has that been announced?  Im under the impression it would be a more HBO-like 12-13 episode season.  But the longer the better...

No, just figured that since it's on CBS albeit not the regular network that it would be a standard 22 episode season. Wanna bet that if this series becomes a hit that it won't be on the main network at some point?