The Star Trek Thread!

The only part I hated about Discovery was the whole Klingon part.  I don't like how they look, how they speak (sounds like they're talking with cotton in their mouths), the fact that they're race is supposed to be based on honor, or that they aren't following canon.

I do agree that they're not focusing enough on the space exploration part of it, but I still thought it was good.

4 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

The only part I hated about Discovery was the whole Klingon part.  I don't like how they look, how they speak (sounds like they're talking with cotton in their mouths), the fact that they're race is supposed to be based on honor, or that they aren't following canon.

I do agree that they're not focusing enough on the space exploration part of it, but I still thought it was good.

I think the season was uneven.  But Im giving them the benefit of the doubt because they changed showrunners/executive producers so late in the process.  The Klingon storyline, war story, look of the Klingons, design of the ship, design of the uniforms etc was all done by Fuller.  then he left.  So the current creative team inherited a work that was not their own.

And I think these producers are more traditional.  When you look at other known aliens that were featured, like the Andorians and Tellerites, they are very traditional looking with minor changes that are mostly to make them better as a result of better make-up effects.  Certainly not the large departure that the Klingon design showed.  Although, every new film/tv show adjusted the design of the Klingons so it doesnt really matter to me.

Fuller had also intended to go to the Mirror universe much sooner.  And he had no "Enterprise" showing up at the end.  So the new producers are taking it in their own direction and Ill give the uneven writing a pass.  Next season though, they have to hit a home run.

I do think its the best first season of Trek since TOS.  The acting, production design etc is tremendous.

25 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think the season was uneven.  But Im giving them the benefit of the doubt because they changed showrunners/executive producers so late in the process.  The Klingon storyline, war story, look of the Klingons, design of the ship, design of the uniforms etc was all done by Fuller.  then he left.  So the current creative team inherited a work that was not their own.

And I think these producers are more traditional.  When you look at other known aliens that were featured, like the Andorians and Tellerites, they are very traditional looking with minor changes that are mostly to make them better as a result of better make-up effects.  Certainly not the large departure that the Klingon design showed.  Although, every new film/tv show adjusted the design of the Klingons so it doesnt really matter to me.

Fuller had also intended to go to the Mirror universe much sooner.  And he had no "Enterprise" showing up at the end.  So the new producers are taking it in their own direction and Ill give the uneven writing a pass.  Next season though, they have to hit a home run.

I do think its the best first season of Trek since TOS.  The acting, production design etc is tremendous.

I don't mind small adjustments, but the Klingons looked revamped completely.  And I know the whole "honor" with Klingons was somewhat put on, as only Worf was truly honorable and took it to the next level.  But still.  They almost acted like a bunch of backstabbing thieves.  Just didn't feel Klingon to me.  Just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I don't mind small adjustments, but the Klingons looked revamped completely.  And I know the whole "honor" with Klingons was somewhat put on, as only Worf was truly honorable and took it to the next level.  But still.  They almost acted like a bunch of backstabbing thieves.  Just didn't feel Klingon to me.  Just my opinion.

I think something changed significantly in the story.  I agree.  I didnt mind the idea of the Klingons as they started out in Discovery but the end result should have been a show of honour that ended the war and led to the 24 houses embracing (or seemingly) the honor of Kahless.  That would set up the Klingons as we know them through TOS where they were organized but still dicks into TNG where they played up the honor but many werent honorable at all.

But they said Ash and L'Rell will be in next season so maybe we'll get more of the transition.

CBS head Les Moonves revealed some info:

CBS streaming (All Access and Showtime) viewers skewers 20 years younger than CBS network.  Average age of 38.

Combined subs are 5 million.

On pace to meet or exceed their goal of 8 million subs by 2020

CBSAA subs doubled from one year ago and January 2018 was the biggest month ever (I'd suspect from Trek fans pouring back in after the break)

Called Discovery a run away success.

7 hours ago, Logan007 said:

Don't like the Klingons either. But the writing & effects are so much better than on previous series. Just check out Voyager for that on Space. 

5 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Man, i just dont get the hate for the fx in voyager or even ds9.

Janeway is not a likeable character. She claims to follow the Prime Directive & wants to get her crew home. Yet she ordered them to waste time, fuel & resources to  explore when it should only have been about getting them home asap. She used the PD for purposes that suited her. She would pit one side in a dispute against the other for her convenience. Some of the characters like Neelix were just so damned annoying. I liked Enterprise a lot better than Voyager which is my least favourite Trek series. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Janeway is not a likeable character. She claims to follow the Prime Directive & wants to get her crew home. Yet she orders them to waste time, fuel & resources to  explore when it should only be about getting them home asap. She used the PD for her own purposes that suited her. She would pit one side in a dispute against the other to suit her. Some of the characters like Neelix were just so damned annoying. I liked Enterprise a lot better than Voyager which is my least favourite Trek series. 

Yeah but what about the fx?

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

For it's time it was fine. Discovery is better because of technological improvements. We're talking 20 years so I don't understand why you ask? 

Its what we were talking about!!!

5 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

FX in Voy and DS9 were great for that time. In fact really really good. DS9 had tons of space battles.  

As part of an upcoming documentary about DS9 they remastered a brief clip to show how good it could be in high def. the models and cgi elements were all made at the time with way more detail then could be seen.  DS9 in HD would be awesome. 

As  for Discovery I just wish they’d render the space scenes brighter without a blue tinge to everything. 

SF27, you had said:

On 2/16/2018 at 4:34 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Don't like the Klingons either. But the writing & effects are so much better than on previous series. Just check out Voyager for that on Space. 

Then Frosty said:

On 2/16/2018 at 6:15 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Then you started talking about Janeway and the story.

• 4 months later...
Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

I thought it was the other way around.  In ST cannon the Enterprise was always the flagship of the Federation. Especially in Kirk's time. 

Enterprise is the more respected ship. It’s a heavy battle cruiser.  Discovery is a science vessel.  They even made a remark in season one that if Tilly wants to be captain she should try to get onto a constitution class ship (like enterprise). 

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Enterprise is the more respected ship. It’s a heavy battle cruiser.  Discovery is a science vessel.  They even made a remark in season one that if Tilly wants to be captain she should try to get onto a constitution class ship (like enterprise). 

Missed that comment. LOL.