The Star Trek Thread!

On 2018-07-20 at 5:17 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

It's funny that they got someone to play Pike that looks like a younger version of the movie actor who I'm too lazy to look up his name.

Looks like they added a bit more humor to the show.  So far looks good.

Just now, Logan007 said:

It's funny that they got someone to play Pike that looks like a younger version of the movie actor who I'm too lazy to look up his name.

Looks like they added a bit more humor to the show.  So far looks good.

Bruce Greenwood.  He also looks a lot like the original actor Jeffrey Hunter.  The trailer seems to indicate a Captain Pike quite different from the brooding, introspective figure who questioned what he was doing in the original pilot the Cage, although there was an in-universe reason why he was that way (the previous mission referenced a disaster where crew were killed and it affected Pike).  They've indicated there will be "easter eggs" to The Cage so hopefully they sort of touch on how he came back from wanting to quit.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Bruce Greenwood.  He also looks a lot like the original actor Jeffrey Hunter.  The trailer seems to indicate a Captain Pike quite different from the brooding, introspective figure who questioned what he was doing in the original pilot the Cage, although there was an in-universe reason why he was that way (the previous mission referenced a disaster where crew were killed and it affected Pike).  They've indicated there will be "easter eggs" to The Cage so hopefully they sort of touch on how he came back from wanting to quit.

But this is still years before the Cage episode isn't it?

13 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Two years after I believe.  Several years before the second pilot, Where No Man Has Gone Before, with William Shatner in the lead role.

Ah that's where I messed up.  It's several years before Kirk is Captain.  I didn't realize the Cage was so far back.

1 minute ago, Logan007 said:

Ah that's where I messed up.  It's several years before Kirk is Captain.  I didn't realize the Cage was so far back.

According to Memory Alpha, The Cage took place in 2254 and Where No Man took place in 2265.  TOS was basically taking place 300 years from date of production, so 1965 became 2265 and so on.  The TOS films muddied that.

Near as I can tell, TMP took place in "the 2270's".  It was 1979 when it was produced but most sites list it taking place in 2271-ish.  There is a huge time jump in WOK to 2285.

Discovery's premiere took place in 2256.

So to recap:

Enterprise launched in 2245 under command of Robert April (his wife Sarah April was Chief Medical Officer).  Jonathan Archer (133 years old) lived to see the Enterprise launched and died the next day.

Non-canon novel indicated Chris Pike was Captain April's first officer and became Captain in 2250.  Pike was promoted to Fleet Captain in 2264/5 and James Kirk became Captain of the Enterprise.

Spock was Science officer on the Enterprise under Captain Pike (thus, he's mentioned in Discovery) and the first officer was "Number One", never given a name on screen though she had several names in books, including "Una" (this is probably her name in Discovery).  She was a Lieutenant in The Cage because Gene based the ranks on old British naval and first officers were usually Lieutenants.  I'd assume she'd be bumped up for Discovery.

Interesting fact, she tested poorly with audiences during screen tests of The Cage, moreso the women than men.  And studio execs told Gene he could keep the "alien" (Spock) or "the woman" but not both.  He kept Spock and assigned her personality traits (highly intelligent, emotionless, logical, cold) to him.  In The Cage, the alien says Number One's cold exterior is an act and she often fantasizes about Pike.

She's to be played by Rebecca Romijn in Discovery which is great casting.

And ofcourse, footage of The Cage was re-used in the two-part TOS episode The Menagerie, making it all canon.

Jeffrey Hunter the actor who played Captain Pike in the original 1965 pilot The Cage & later when the pilot was reworked into the 2 part story called The Menagerie on ST: TOS was either committed to another project or had no interest in the part of Captain Pike for the Star Trek tv series. The role of Captain Kirk was given to William Shatner & the rest is history. He certainly made Kirk his own man.

Hunter died suddenly in May of 1969 of a cerebral hemorrhage six months after suffering a severe head injury on the set of a movie in Spain called Cry Chicago in November of 1968. A stunt in a scene he was in went wrong. A rigged explosion while he was sitting in a vehicle was supposed to throw the shards of a car window out but instead threw it inside the vehicle striking him in the head.  He also took the full force of the explosion as well suffering a severe concussion. He was 42 years old.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Jeffrey Hunter the actor who played Captain Pike in the original 1965 pilot The Cage & later when the pilot was reworked into the 2 part story called The Menagerie on ST: TOS was either committed to another project or had no interest in the part of Captain Pike for the Star Trek tv series. The role of Captain Kirk was given to William Shatner & the rest is history. He certainly made Kirk his own man.

Hunter died suddenly in May of 1969 of a cerebral hemorrhage six months after suffering a severe head injury on the set of a movie in Spain called Cry Chicago in November of 1968. A stunt in a scene he was in went wrong. A rigged explosion while he was sitting in a vehicle was supposed to throw the shards of a car window out but instead threw it inside the vehicle striking him in the head.  He also took the full force of the explosion as well suffering a severe concussion. He was 42 years old.

And if we are Jeffrey Hunter'ing lets also mention he was in the movie The Searchers...nuff said.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

And if we are Jeffrey Hunter'ing lets also mention he was in the movie The Searchers...nuff said.

I don't know if Nuff says is negative or positive. I hope it's positive. From 1950-69 he appeared in over 50  motion pictures including The Searchers, King of Kings & The Longest Day. For a time he was a leading man in Hollywood. From 1955-69 he also appeared in 20 television series as a guest star in such series as The F.B.I., Daniel Boone & the Green Hornet.

41 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't know if Nuff says is negative or positive. I hope it's positive. From 1950-69 he appeared in over 50  motion pictures including The Searchers, King of Kings & The Longest Day. For a time he was a leading man in Hollywood. From 1955-69 he also appeared in 20 television series as a guest star in such series as The F.B.I., Daniel Boone & the Green Hornet.

Just go to Google and type in greatest westerns.

• 2 weeks later...

True.  The argument the JJ writers gave was that they weren't talented enough to come up with a way to resurrect Kirk.  A terribly defeatist attitude.  But assuming no one wants to tackle that in a 2 hour film, a 13 episode mini series would be the perfect place to do so.  Captain Kirk goes on one last mission to save the universe.  We are talking about a multiple award winner for his acting.  Shatner is acclaimed and the role is iconic.  The free advertising you'd get from one simple press release makes it worth exploring.

11 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I wasnt as bothered by the Klingons as many were because they've looked different in just about every series over the years (and even from season to season).  It was a Fuller idea and I got the impression, once he was gone, the people left in charge weren't as fanatical about changing everything as he was.  The other legacy aliens shown were very accurate with a bit of tech update to modernize them but very much a homage in ways the new Klingons werent.

And this idea of showing us how Discovery fits in canon and "moving towards" TOS is something they've said many times and, again, its something I think the people in charge after Fuller left wanted to do..whereas he wanted it to all be HIS version, the producers want to respect visual canon as much as they can.

So Im looking forward to it.  If you add hair to the Klingons from season 1, they are pretty close to the TNG or TOS film Klingons.