The Star Trek Thread!

1 hour ago, JCon said:

They've really done a remarkable job in season 2. I'm up to date now. 

Star Trek has always been about the search for "God" and S02 finally goes back to that. 

My PVR screwed up so I missed the first twenty minutes last night but it was another good one.  BUT...they have to slow down and give us more character moments.  The storyline involving Airiam last night was filled with tension and emotion and was wonderful...imagine if they had shown any semblance of this emotional personal connection between her and the others or told her back story before...it would have been a killer episode, the way it ended.  

How long before someone speculated that Airiam is found by the Voyager Probe and is the catalyst for V'ger in TMP? lol

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

My PVR screwed up so I missed the first twenty minutes last night but it was another good one.  BUT...they have to slow down and give us more character moments.  The storyline involving Airiam last night was filled with tension and emotion and was wonderful...imagine if they had shown any semblance of this emotional personal connection between her and the others or told her back story before...it would have been a killer episode, the way it ended.  

How long before someone speculated that Airiam is found by the Voyager Probe and is the catalyst for V'ger in TMP? lol

Yeah, I'm with you on slowing things down a bit. Every episode has a lot going on & it's easy to miss a part of the plot for that episode & get behind. I still didn't learn much about Airiam before & during last night's episode.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I thought she was 100% android. So there you go.

Could have dl'd it TUP.  It's torrented rather quickly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

not a fan of the season?

First half or so was good. It feels like the story got away from the writers.  They asked for an extra episode because they couldn’t finish it in time. Luckily for them cbs agreed. 

Show looks great. Very well acted.  Writing has been underwhelming. 

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

First half or so was good. It feels like the story got away from the writers.  They asked for an extra episode because they couldn’t finish it in time. Luckily for them cbs agreed. 

Show looks great. Very well acted.  Writing has been underwhelming. 

This is pretty much true. First half great, second half...

The GFX overwhelmed everything.

Anyone who bitched at JJ for the number of Enterprise shuttles in 2009 owes him an apology.

As for the ending...

Well we know now they are bumping the show up 300 years(cringe^8). BTW why is it always 75 or 300? TNG...Alien movies...

But what if they killed off DISCO crew and followed Pike ENT? 🤔

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Am I the only one who has trouble following the storyline on each episode? A day or 2 later, I honestly can't tell you what happened. Discovery is the only show I have this problem with. The special effects are fantastic but there's so much going on that I find it hard to keep up. I wish they'd simplify the plot lines.  Or slow the series down a bit for the benefit of viewers.

Star Trek was always about social commentary & getting to really know the characters & we get very little of that with Discovery. Other than Burnham & Spock. IMO, I think that is what happens when the writers only have 13 episodes to get a very complicated storyline as well as complex characters in to a complete season. I think if they had 22 episodes the series would look totally different & have a different feel to it.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Am I the only one who has trouble following the storyline on each episode? A day or 2 later, I honestly can't tell you what happened. Discovery is the only show I have this problem with. The special effects are fantastic but there's so much going on that I find it hard to keep up. I wish they'd simplify the plot lines.  Or slow the series down a bit for the benefit of viewers. Star Trek was always about social comment & getting to really know the characters & we get very little of that with Discovery. Other than Burnham & Spock.

Outside of TNG S1, social comments has been thrown to the side pretty much. Character wise I think it's been okay. Do we need insight on the 2 women driving Disco?

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Outside of TNG S1, social comments has been thrown to the side pretty much. Character wise I think it's been okay. Do we need insight on the 2 women driving Disco?

Did we need insight on Sulu & Checkhov in TOS? They just drove the ship, too. They both became beloved characters. So, I'd say yes. 

Not bringing back Anson Mount to play Pike next season is a huge mistake.  I'd also not feel bad if Discovery was somehow destroyed & the surviving or remaining crew merged with Pike's Enterprise & he took over as the new permanent Captain. There'd have to be a place for Saru but Number 1 is there. Anyway, it won't be happening anyway.  Letting Mount go will form a huge vacuum. It's already apparent. They had a good thing going with Mount's Pike & poof he's gone.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

20 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not bringing back Anson Mount to play Pike next season is a huge mistake.  I'd also not feel bad if Discovery was somehow destroyed & the surviving or remaining crew merged with Pike's Enterprise & he took over as the new permanent Captain. There'd have to be a place for Saru but Number 1 is there. Anyway, it won't be happening anyway.  Letting Mount go will form a huge vacuum. It's already apparent. They had a good thing going with Mount's Pike & poof he's gone.

I think they seriously underestimated how good Anson Mount was going to be as Pike (which is silly since any of us that watched Hell on Wheels already knew Anson Mount was awesome).  He along with a few others made this season enjoyable, but I really had a hard time understanding the overall plot of the season.  It got very convoluted towards the end.  I am curious and will watch season 3 in the 31st century.  But these first two seasons felt more like Trek nostalgia with a modern twist (updated weird looking Klingons! Terrans!, Spock!  Section 31! The Enterprise! Number One! etc etc) than telling a proper story arc leading to the huge time jump (and series shift) for season 3.  And the the whole "lie about the fate of Discovery to Starfleet and forget about them " angle felt like a cheap ploy to the fanboys complaining how ST Disco didn't fit in the known Star Trek universe. There ya go!  That's why Spock never mentions Burnham to Kirk or why no one tried a spore drive to rescue Voyager from the Delta quadrant!  They just all kept their mouths shut!  Ok then.

Like I said I enjoyed the season for the most part.  Amazing effects and great acting kept me in it and will bring me back.  Hopefully now that they aren't chained to previous existing Trek lore they can truly tell their own story next season.

1 hour ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

I think they seriously underestimated how good Anson Mount was going to be as Pike (which is silly since any of us that watched Hell on Wheels already knew Anson Mount was awesome).  He along with a few others made this season enjoyable, but I really had a hard time understanding the overall plot of the season.  It got very convoluted towards the end.  I am curious and will watch season 3 in the 31st century.

26th. They are in the 23rd now.

9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

26th. They are in the 23rd now.

Every review and what I recall from the show itself said 30-31 century.  But they did say it wasn't certain. 

asnyqJKtzmhg6TFAhMzjDm.jpg

https://www.space.com/star-trek-discovery-season-2-episode-14.html

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-season-2-ending-future-explained/2/

Edited by Brandon Blue&Gold