The Star Trek Thread!

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Leaving them behind because they were a pre warp society was IMO the wrong decision. I agreed with Burnham that the descendants were taken against their will & should be returned to Earth although they may not have existed as they were saved from WW3.  In the 24th century they very easily could have been educated to live during that century with advance technology. I think the best choice would have been to let the inhabitants know who they were & through that one scientist help to bridge the shocking fact they had been there for 300 years.

Yes. But the fact they created that debate is great. Classic trek 

i recall an episode of TNG where they found cryogenically frozen humans from the 90’s. Crusher revived them and Picard was not happy saying she should have left them dead. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes. But the fact they created that debate is great. Classic trek 

i recall an episode of TNG where they found cryogenically frozen humans from the 90’s. Crusher revived them and Picard was not happy saying she should have left them dead. 

That was the first season of TNG when Picard was a old grouch who didn't like anything. They mellowed him in subsequent seasons or that series wouldn't have lasted very long with a captain pissed off at everything & everyone.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

A couple of good ones.  I recently watched L&O:SVU's early seasons and really liked her.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I just finished season 1 of Discovery. I'm enjoying it but it feels really different. 

Spore drive technology reminds me of the Force (both midichlorian and non-midichlorian variants). 

I will say this, you cant really judge the show on that first season.  I liked the first season but it was a backstage mess.  Fuller really wanted to change everything and put his own twist on Star Trek.  By the time he was ousted, the show was already behind schedule and over budget so they pushed forward with a creative team that had to make the best of a show they didnt create.

In Season 2, they try pretty hard to overcome some of that and get the show back on track to being a more reasonable TOS prequel.

As I recall, Fuller's original idea (and, I assume, the logic behind the spore drive) was to make the show a sort of anthology where every season would see the Discovery warp to a new time period.

I dont let the modern look of the show bother me so much although some flares they didnt need like holo-communicators bug me a bit (they address them in the second season).  But two things really bugged me:  1) the critical plot point of Michael's betrayal of Phillipa & 2) how the show is shot, especially the space scenes.

On point 1, this one incident drives the plot but it was not nearly as dramatic as characters seem to refer it.  They literally blame Michael for the war when her actions had nothing to do with it.  And the idea of her committing treason was grossly over-blown too.  It struck me as....Fuller had an idea and the incoming creative team didnt want to run with that thread but it was too important to drop completely.  Just always bugged me.

On 2, the super dark, blue haze space shots and "unnatural" look of the ships bugged me a bit.  But they largely correct this in Season 2 with better shot space scenes and no more blue haze.

I'm liking this season a lot better myself. Didn't like the Klingons in Season 1 with their new look & still don't now. So, seeing less of them suits me just fine. I'm also liking the calm demeanor of Captain Pike through all the chaos. Not a big fan of the Sylvia Tilley character as she is just getting more annoying this season.

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

A couple of good ones.  I recently watched L&O:SVU's early seasons and really liked her.

I will say this, you cant really judge the show on that first season.  I liked the first season but it was a backstage mess.  Fuller really wanted to change everything and put his own twist on Star Trek.  By the time he was ousted, the show was already behind schedule and over budget so they pushed forward with a creative team that had to make the best of a show they didnt create.

In Season 2, they try pretty hard to overcome some of that and get the show back on track to being a more reasonable TOS prequel.

As I recall, Fuller's original idea (and, I assume, the logic behind the spore drive) was to make the show a sort of anthology where every season would see the Discovery warp to a new time period.

I dont let the modern look of the show bother me so much although some flares they didnt need like holo-communicators bug me a bit (they address them in the second season).  But two things really bugged me:  1) the critical plot point of Michael's betrayal of Phillipa & 2) how the show is shot, especially the space scenes.

On point 1, this one incident drives the plot but it was not nearly as dramatic as characters seem to refer it.  They literally blame Michael for the war when her actions had nothing to do with it.  And the idea of her committing treason was grossly over-blown too.  It struck me as....Fuller had an idea and the incoming creative team didnt want to run with that thread but it was too important to drop completely.  Just always bugged me.

On 2, the super dark, blue haze space shots and "unnatural" look of the ships bugged me a bit.  But they largely correct this in Season 2 with better shot space scenes and no more blue haze.

I don't and won't have a problem with the tech. I get that ST was created in the 60s and this is 50 years later, so things will change. I'm fine with suspension of disbelief. 

I forgot about all the backstage stuff. Now a lot of the plot holes and complete twists and turns make more sense. 

I'm glad they didn't stay in the parallel universe. I never cared for Voyager because it seemed impossible that they could survive out there for so long in multiple combat zones. 

Michael didn't start the war but I think it's from a certain perspective. Only those in the "know" would have the details of her court martial and trial. So, I'm not surprised people spread rumours, yadda, yadda, yadda. Also, I'm not surprised that Starfleet would find someone to blame. 

I am, however, shocked and how easy it was for her to be pardoned. She knocked out her captain and tried to attack the Klingons, who they were not at war with. Anyhow...

Edited by JCon
Lazy, poor spelling

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't and won't have a problem with the tech. I get that ST was created in the 60s and this is 50 years later, so things will change. I'm fine with suspension of disbelief. 

I forgot about all the backstage stuff. Now a lot of the plot holes and complete twists and turns make more sense. 

I'm glad they didn't stay in the parallel universe. I never cared for Voyager because it seemed impossible that they could survive out there for so long in multiple combat zones. 

Michael didn't start the war but I think it's from a certain perspective. Only those in the "know" would have the details of her court martial and trial. So, I'm not surprised people spread rumours, yadda, yadda, yadda. Also, I'm not surprised that Starfleet would find someone to blame. 

I am, however, shocked and how easy it was for her to be pardoned. She knocked out her captain and tried to attack the Klingons, who they were not at war with. Anyhow...

Yeah I thought it was weird they reinstated her to Commander.  I thought it would have been interesting had they simply reinstated her commission but busted her down to Ensign or maybe Lt.  Would have provided an interesting environment for her being a former first officer to have to answer to just about everyone on the ship (and add to her relationship with Tilly).

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I just finished season 1 of Discovery

Whew, you made it through one hot mess.

50 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm liking this season a lot better myself. Didn't like the Klingons in Season 1 with their new look & still don't now. So, seeing less of them suits me just fine.

Pretty much the view of everyone. They said they would try to make them more in line to the post-TOS look but adding some hair still is not doing it.

45 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm glad they didn't stay in the parallel universe.

Still think they would be better off putting it post Voyager.

They did stay in the parallel uni a long time but it was the best part of the season IMHO.

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Whew, you made it through one hot mess.

Pretty much the view of everyone. They said they would try to make them more in line to the post-TOS look but adding some hair still is not doing it.

Still think they would be better off putting it post Voyager.

They did stay in the parallel uni a long time but it was the best part of the season IMHO.

I would love to see a post-TNG-DS9-Voyager timeline. Let's skip a generation and see what that brings us!

It may have been the best part of the season but only because it was the most focused. Usually, a parallel universe is best saved for when they run out of new ideas. They threw so much into those 15 episodes in season 1, I'm still spinning. 

Just now, JCon said:

I would love to see a post-TNG-DS9-Voyager timeline. Let's skip a generation and see what that brings us!

It may have been the best part of the season but only because it was the most focused. Usually, a parallel universe is best saved for when they run out of new ideas. They threw so much into those 15 episodes in season 1, I'm still spinning. 

Well you will...Picard show takes place twenty years after Nemesis.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

Remember the suspension of disbelief... ;)

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They tried that with Enterprise & it didn't work. A lot of fans were upset the words Star Trek wasn't used in the title. Like as if complaint #4,236 wasn't enough.

I didn't mind Enterprise at least it wasn't a soap opera like Discovery is. 

54 minutes ago, pigseye said:

I didn't mind Enterprise at least it wasn't a soap opera like Discovery is. 

I liked Enterprise as well. I never understood the negativity attached to that series. Fans dumped all over the series. From the name to the opening music, the writing & Scott Bakula's portrayal of Captain Jonathan Archer.

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Welcome to modern tv story telling. 

I am a fan of a self contained episode that touches on the season arc- it's pretty good storytelling. You get the immediate gratification every week of a one and done plus investment in the larger story and character development. Though- bring back to life the dude through the mushroom network... that was a bit bunk.