The Star Trek Thread!

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Thats actually really refreshing news.  The division between Paramount and CBS was so murky it was believed that the films couldnt use anything from the TV series' and vice versa.  It makes me wonder if a deal has already been hatched for the two sides to work together on a film.

46 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Thats actually really refreshing news.  The division between Paramount and CBS was so murky it was believed that the films couldnt use anything from the TV series' and vice versa.  It makes me wonder if a deal has already been hatched for the two sides to work together on a film.

I thought they were going with Kelvin timeline Picard as thats the way it should be but apparently not.

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

They could have fixed everything in the 4th movie. Save Chekov, Kirk Sr and reset it all!

Bob Orci wrote a script for Trek 3 that was rejected and he was eventually fired but speculation is that he'd have "fixed" the timeline.

The rumored storyline for Trek 4 involves George Kirk so possibly the same thing.

I would have been fine with that.  But for the most part, Bad Robot's time running Trek was a disaster.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Bob Orci wrote a script for Trek 3 that was rejected and he was eventually fired but speculation is that he'd have "fixed" the timeline.

The rumored storyline for Trek 4 involves George Kirk so possibly the same thing.

I would have been fine with that.  But for the most part, Bad Robot's time running Trek was a disaster.

❤️ 1 & 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, has anyone else watched the first episode of Discovery?  Was pretty good.  I like the small amounts of humor they through in.  Sometimes though, it feels so dramatic at times because of the way they film it, or because of their grim facial expressions that I'm sometimes like..."did they just make a joke?  Yes that was a joke...hey that was pretty funny actually".  I liked the guy who plays Pike.  Them going through the minefield of rocks with those little glass bubbles kind of lost it for me though...had to really suspend disbelief for that one.  Otherwise it was an overall decent episode.

Not liking that they're bringing back Michelle Yeoh.  I liked her character, but it just feels like they're going back to her too soon.  Move the story forward.  Stop bringing back old characters.  But I also haven't seen the episode yet so maybe my mind will change.

8 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Well, has anyone else watched the first episode of Discovery?  Was pretty good.  I like the small amounts of humor they through in.  Sometimes though, it feels so dramatic at times because of the way they film it, or because of their grim facial expressions that I'm sometimes like..."did they just make a joke?  Yes that was a joke...hey that was pretty funny actually".  I liked the guy who plays Pike.  Them going through the minefield of rocks with those little glass bubbles kind of lost it for me though...had to really suspend disbelief for that one.  Otherwise it was an overall decent episode.

Not liking that they're bringing back Michelle Yeoh.  I liked her character, but it just feels like they're going back to her too soon.  Move the story forward.  Stop bringing back old characters.  But I also haven't seen the episode yet so maybe my mind will change.

I enjoyed it over-all.  Thought it came across fully baked as opposed to last season's early episodes that were clearly hampered by the change in show runner.  The one thing, the show will always be hurt by the lousy premise that Michael started the war when she really didnt.  That was something they just were never able to make right last season.  Better to move on and forget it.

The negatives:

- Portrayal of Sarek.  I think the writers' reverence for the character hurts the portrayal.  He was always portrayed as cold, emotionally distance and a bit of an *******.  But we see none of that.  What was good about TOS was the moments that showed us he was more than that (his obvious love for Amanda, his confronting Kirk over Spock's katra, his approval of Spock's friends etc) were special *because* of how cold he was.  The JJ films made this same mistake.  Its almost like they're trying to retcon Spock's issues with his father from Sarek to Michael.   We really need to see some more coldness from him.

- Humor.  Dial it back just a bit.  My advice to them is, ask yourself if a professional military would behave that way before airing a "goofy" scene.  In particular Im talking about Tilly's first scene on the bridge where she compliments....was it communications?  And then back and forth on the pods.  At least on the pods, Pike interjected to tell them to knock it off and they did (similar to STID where Spock & Uhura were bickering during an important away missions but they ignored Kirk's order to knock it off).

- Pods.  Yeah....I know some fans are raving about it as an exciting sci fi scene.  I sort of glazed over a bit.  But Im not a fan of adding crazy elements to something for dramatic effect...like in STID when Kirk & Khan are hurtling themselves through space from one ship to another and have to hit a tiny little mark...thats not dramatic enough so add in asteroids.  Same thing here.  A bit too insane.  But not bad...just, hard to care about for me personally.  And you knew the blue shirt (ha!) was going to die.

Positives:

- Humor.  Other then above, it was well done.  Tilly is very charming.  Dont force it.  I didnt mind her interactions with Pike either but I would have liked a scene or line where she expresses admiration for him so that her super awkwardness was a bit more grounded.  But the episode was long.  She's an ensign on command track.  He's a legendary Captain and who happens to be heroic, charming & handsome.  Perfect foil for Tilly but I'd like to hear it.  We KNOW he's a legend because of canon but Tilly would be the perfect character for us to see through her eyes.  Almost have her say "everything is going to be okay.  Captain Pike is here."

- Cinematic feel.  Amazing.  It looks and feels like a movie.  The SFX are top notch.  The wide screen is great.  How it's directed.  Cinematography.  Everything.   Star Trek has never looked so good.  Oh and more traditional sound effects were added too...the background ship sounds and the door swoosh on Enterprise etc.  Also seems the space shots have been toned down as far as the overly blue, foggy look goes.  Looks more like traditional Star Trek (rendered by modern SFX).

- Acting.  Pike has been a great addition.  The rest are top notch as always.  Even when given little to do (Stamets) they hint at a lot of depth.  They just have to reconcile how the senior bridge crew have so far done little compared to the stars who mainly arent bridge crew.  And it seems they will by giving the bridge officers more to do.  Some good actors there too.

They love love love Michelle so she's here to stay (especially with her own show coming).  

Yup, agree with most of your points.  I like the guy playing Sarek, but agree with you that he needs to be more cold and logical.  He's acting more like how I think Spock should act.

I love Michelle as well, but she's getting her own show so I wish they'd make the story line involve new characters we haven't seen before instead of bringing back old characters all the time.  That's what I liked about the old series.  They were always fresh and different.

To me, the Discovery's Sarek was closer to Mark Lenard's Sarek from TOS. His portrayal wasn't cold but logical.  He did not approve of Spock giving up the Vulcan Science Academy for a career in Starfleet but he was fiercely proud of his son. And Lenard's Sarek did portray a sense of humour as well.  So, to me he was closer to canon for the franchise. 

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I thought last night's episode was excellent.  

The only think i wanted a bit more of, was more argument in favour of taking the planet inhabitants with them.  I wanted a stronger moral argument about it, along the lines of what Spock & Bones would have done in TOS.

Leaving them behind because they were a pre warp society was IMO the wrong decision. I agreed with Burnham that the descendants were taken against their will & should be returned to Earth although they may not have existed as they were saved from WW3.  In the 24th century they very easily could have been educated to live during that century with advance technology. I think the best choice would have been to let the inhabitants know who they were & through that one scientist help to bridge the shocking fact they had been there for 300 years.