The Star Trek Thread!

10 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

FYI - Picard was 74 during the events of Nemesis.

That wasn't an error.

In Nemesis, young Picard was shown to be bald (as depicted by his clone and a photo of Picard in the academy).  It was kinda silly to make young Picard bald just to fans would see the clone as a clone.

Picard was born in 2305.  And the new series takes place in 2399.  So he will be 94 years old.  The actor is 78.  Given the advances in medical science and life expectancy, it seems like a reasonable thing, to have a near 80 year old depict a near 100 year old in the future.

One trademark CBS registered was Star Trek: Reliant.  Some speculate this could a reference to the Picard series as one of his first assignments was serving aboard the USS Reliant.  If so, it would indicate the series is a flashback series of some kind (unless he, as part of the plot, ends up using his old ship...but if he needs an old ship, I'd think it makes more sense to get an old Galaxy Class for the audience familiarity).

As for old-aged Captains, Captain Archer was born in 2112 and died 2245 (one day after witnessing the launch of the original Enterprise).  All the JJ films had him as still serving as an Admiral at 145 years old (he had previously been Federation President).  That seems a bit of a stretch.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Given the advances in medical science and life expectancy, it seems like a reasonable thing, to have a near 80 year old depict a near 100 year old in the future.

Good thinking but if i was not sure about a n 80 yr old Picard you can imagine the 100 yr old Picard idea.

Mama, the prune crop looks fine this year!

19 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Good thinking but if i was not sure about a n 80 yr old Picard you can imagine the 100 yr old Picard idea.

Mama, the prune crop looks fine this year!

I think they made Picard a bit too old originally.  For example, he took command of the Enterprise in 2364 at age 59.  So was well into his 70's during the films.  

Another item the series might have to deal with is the future from All Good Things which showed Picard in 2395, or almost the same period, and suffering from Inumodic Syndrome, a degenerative neurological disease.  At the conclusion of the episode, Crusher tells Picard that not everyone who has the genes for Inumodic Syndrome would develop it but that he had a very minor defect that could lead to it.  She said it was so minor and difficult to find she had to use an advanced scanner setting to find it.

I always took this as the writers' out.  Q always had a way of helping Picard even when hurting him and one could accept that, had the events of the film not occurred, Picard would never have learned he had that specific defect.  Whether the intent was for Q to inspire Picard to live a full life or to try and cure or treat it early, who knows.  

Many elements of that episode's future didnt come to pass (the Enterprise D was destroyed rather than becoming Riker's ship, Troi didnt die, Data DID die etc.).  Other things did come true (future star fleet emblem, Picard as an ambassador (happened in the comics)).  

In other words, they can probably ignore All Good Things' future...lol

On 2018-12-11 at 3:33 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

In Nemesis, young Picard was shown to be bald (as depicted by his clone and a photo of Picard in the academy).  It was kinda silly to make young Picard bald just to fans would see the clone as a clone.

In Nemesis young Picard was in the Academy. In the episode Tapestry, Picard had just graduated from the Academy. We don't know what year of the Academy was represented in Nemesis. You don't think it's possible that Picard changed his hairstyle over the course of his 4 years in the Academy?

1 minute ago, Jacquie said:

In Nemesis young Picard was in the Academy. In the episode Tapestry, Picard had just graduated from the Academy. We don't know what year of the Academy was represented in Nemesis. You don't think it's possible that Picard changed his hairstyle over the course of his 4 years in the Academy?

I think its far more likely that in Nemesis they made the clone bald and the images of Picard in the academy bald to make the clone seem more like Picard.

But ofcourse, he could have chosen to just shave his head.  You're certainly correct its possible.  When I made the cannon error reference, it was more tongue in cheek.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think its far more likely that in Nemesis they made the clone bald and the images of Picard in the academy bald to make the clone seem more like Picard.

But ofcourse, he could have chosen to just shave his head.  You're certainly correct its possible.  When I made the cannon error reference, it was more tongue in cheek.

For Trekkies, there is no such thing as tongue in cheek regarding canon. 😉