The Star Trek Thread!

47 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think they’re playing it straight. If they go right back to mirror twist it becomes a bit of a parody. They already have mirror Phillipa running around. 

Plus he’d have to have been mirror on the enterprise since we know the enterprise, Pike & Number One are all in this season.   I think it’s just that he’s been out of civilization for awhile so his hair and beard grew. 

Probably to make for a visual contrast from when we first see him (sort of disguised behind the beard and hair) and when he cleans up and we see him for the first time in uniform looking like classic Spock. 

With Discovery, we just don't where things are going. There were a few swerves last year so looking forward to seeing things play out. But what a villain he could be. ;)

19 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think they’re playing it straight. If they go right back to mirror twist it becomes a bit of a parody. They already have mirror Phillipa running around. 

Plus he’d have to have been mirror on the enterprise since we know the enterprise, Pike & Number One are all in this season.   I think it’s just that he’s been out of civilization for awhile so his hair and beard grew. 

Probably to make for a visual contrast from when we first see him (sort of disguised behind the beard and hair) and when he cleans up and we see him for the first time in uniform looking like classic Spock. 

Exactly.  I don't think they're going to rehash the same thing all over again when they just did it.  People would dump this new Star Trek fast if all they're doing is retelling the same story.

In other news, they confirmed the Picard series is intended to be an on-going series (not a mini-series) and they referred to it as "the continuing adventured of Jean-Luc Picard", so thats pretty cool.  They're a month into the script process and hope to go into production in April.

They teased the villain saying "Would you like me to tell you who the bad guys are?"  And then said they couldnt.  Hmmmm...Borg?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if its in the above video but I thought this was particularly interesting, from Meyer talking about the Khan homages in STID:

It is, on the one hand, nice to be so successful or beloved or however you want to describe it that somebody wants to do an homage to what you did and I was flattered and touched. But in my sort of artistic worldview, if you’re going to do an homage you have to add something. You have to put another layer on it, and they didn’t. Just by putting the same words in different characters’ mouths didn’t add up to anything, and if you have someone dying in one scene and sort of being resurrected immediately after there’s no real drama going on. It just becomes a gimmick or gimmicky, and that’s what I found it to be ultimately.

Bang on.  I actually debated writer/director Bob Orci about this very thing.  Debate might be a stretch.  More, myself and others gave their opinions, much like Meyer and Orci was a first rate assclown to people.  Very very thin skinned and can't take criticism.  You can see why everyone dropped him like a bad habit.

STID was abysmal and their quest to showboat to Trek fans with hollow homages was part of the problem.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Not sure if its in the above video but I thought this was particularly interesting, from Meyer talking about the Khan homages in STID:

Bang on.  I actually debated writer/director Bob Orci about this very thing.  Debate might be a stretch.  More, myself and others gave their opinions, much like Meyer and Orci was a first rate assclown to people.  Very very thin skinned and can't take criticism.  You can see why everyone dropped him like a bad habit.

STID was abysmal and their quest to showboat to Trek fans with hollow homages was part of the problem.

Yes that quote was in there.  I didn't listen to the whole thing but I did hear that one part.  I was like...YES, thank you...when he said that.  He seems to know how to write properly.

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He won’t be playing a 50 year old Picard. He’s a great actor. What does it matter how old he is? 

I wonder what he's limited to physically? Age does matter in your 80's. His voice has also changed.  I don't think he'll reprise Locutus Of Borg. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I wonder what he's limited to physically? Age does matter in your 80's. His voice has also changed.  I don't think he'll reprise Locutus Of Borg. 

I doubt he will be Picard from First Contact.  From whats out there, they intend to have him play an 80 year old Picard so I doubt there will be any issue with him having aged.  I think that will be the point.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I doubt he will be Picard from First Contact.  From whats out there, they intend to have him play an 80 year old Picard so I doubt there will be any issue with him having aged.  I think that will be the point.

If they need flashbacks they can always use Tom Hardy :D