Next year's line up?

Ducky

When it comes to players wanting to play here and giving a discount to stay, Im not as sure about Ladd.  Which is to say I have no idea how he feels.  We can only speculate.  When the team moved here, he came here on his own dime to "check it out" did a ton of media. Signed a long term deal when he didnt have to.  Rented Toews' condo that first season, got married, reported built a house and had two kids.  Sounds like he was comfortable being here.  But he has a wife and young children now.  That will factor into it.  He has an agent and probably an accountant who will give him advice that might involve "this is your last chance to make generational money"

Buff signed his contract during the Thrashers' last season and I listened to an interview when he did and he was asked why would sign a long deal when the team might move and you dont know where and *gasp* it might even move to that hellhole Winnipeg?  His response was I dont really care, Im here to win.  And when pressed about 'yeah but Winnipeg?' he said sure why not, close to home I'd love to play there.  So he seems pretty grounded.

As for Copp, his Michigan coach sounds like sour grapes.  If he's good enough to play in the NHL, then he should be happy for him not whining about how he loses his best player.  Dont blame the NHL team either.  If he doesnt like the system, talk to the NCAA and the NHL about changing the rules so the drafting team doesnt lose their rights if a player plays his full four years down there.

Buff is basically a home town guy with this team with Roseau only being a couple hours away. Plus he can be the face of franchise here not many other places he will be that. Get him a few free fishing trips up north a year and he will be satisfied.

Does Buff seem like the guy who likes the attention that comes from being the face of a franchise?? You guys are putting way too much weight into fan support being a determining factor. If we've learned nothing else, we've learned that most NHLers want to go somewhere that they're not noticed. They want to leave the rink and be able to hide from the world. This is why Winnipeg is in the Top 5 NTC markets...

Have to wonder how much playing in Winnipeg will factor in for these ex-Atlanta guys...  must be a huge difference coming to work to a capacity crowd that is pretty much insane instead of a half-empty barn.  I think Buff and Ladd take 'hometown' discounts...

The way they're playing right now, wouldn't be surprised to see something like this next year

Perrault-Schiefele-Wheeler

Ladd-Lowry-Frolik

Ehlers-Little-Stafford

Thorburn-Copp-Armia

Buff-Trouba

Enstrom-Myers

Chiarot-Stuart

Ladd and Lowry looking pretty good together - that's a pretty solid team if Copp and Armia are as good as they say.

No Morressey?  And you think they break up Scheif, Wheels and Staff?

When it comes to players wanting to play here and giving a discount to stay, Im not as sure about Ladd.  Which is to say I have no idea how he feels.  We can only speculate.  When the team moved here, he came here on his own dime to "check it out" did a ton of media. Signed a long term deal when he didnt have to.  Rented Toews' condo that first season, got married, reported built a house and had two kids.  Sounds like he was comfortable being here.  But he has a wife and young children now.  That will factor into it.  He has an agent and probably an accountant who will give him advice that might involve "this is your last chance to make generational money"

Buff signed his contract during the Thrashers' last season and I listened to an interview when he did and he was asked why would sign a long deal when the team might move and you dont know where and *gasp* it might even move to that hellhole Winnipeg?  His response was I dont really care, Im here to win.  And when pressed about 'yeah but Winnipeg?' he said sure why not, close to home I'd love to play there.  So he seems pretty grounded.

As for Copp, his Michigan coach sounds like sour grapes.  If he's good enough to play in the NHL, then he should be happy for him not whining about how he loses his best player.  Dont blame the NHL team either.  If he doesnt like the system, talk to the NCAA and the NHL about changing the rules so the drafting team doesnt lose their rights if a player plays his full four years down there.

Ladd will stay IMO because hes our captain and he wont get that role if he leaves. That role means alot to him. 

Does Buff seem like the guy who likes the attention that comes from being the face of a franchise?? You guys are putting way too much weight into fan support being a determining factor. If we've learned nothing else, we've learned that most NHLers want to go somewhere that they're not noticed. They want to leave the rink and be able to hide from the world. This is why Winnipeg is in the Top 5 NTC markets...

With buff growing up in this hockey atmosphere, I'm confident in saying he likes it, even revels in it.. He never shies away from the spotlight, often mugging for the camera.. Id bet he loves his semi-celebrity status here..

I agree with Noeller that I dont think 'face of the franchise' is going to be a deciding factor for Buff.  he seems like a pretty quiet guy.  I think he would accept a fair deal.  His current contract was signed pretty easily if I remember correctly and that was by a franchise that had no money or future.  All things being equal, he shouldnt be hard to re-sign.  But its the age he's at that could be the wrench because this is his last chance to sign a massive deal and the Jets will shy away from a long term deal.

I think other considerations for him will be:

- Where is he going to fit into the team (ie. Defence or Forward, which pairing, how much ice time)

- is the team going to compete every year.

I think its fair to say his committment level was lacking when the team sucked, from Atlanta into the first couple of years here.  When the team showed compete and changed coaches he got into a lot better shape.  Whereas he previously rejected playing forward, he accepted the role.  We've heard Maurice say that Buff's attitude when injuries happened was "play me anywhere you need".  He wants to compete and win.

Being close to home might be a consideration though he signed his deal in Atlanta so what does that tell you. 

Have to wonder how much playing in Winnipeg will factor in for these ex-Atlanta guys...  must be a huge difference coming to work to a capacity crowd that is pretty much insane instead of a half-empty barn.  I think Buff and Ladd take 'hometown' discounts...

The way they're playing right now, wouldn't be surprised to see something like this next year

Perrault-Schiefele-Wheeler

Ladd-Lowry-Frolik

Ehlers-Little-Stafford

Thorburn-Copp-Armia

Buff-Trouba

Enstrom-Myers

Chiarot-Stuart

Ladd and Lowry looking pretty good together - that's a pretty solid team if Copp and Armia are as good as they say.

No Morressey?  And you think they break up Scheif, Wheels and Staff?

Well then we should trade Scheifele, Trouba and Little as they would get mote than Stuart too.

On a side note, Armia has 0 goals in 14 games on the farm.....he won't be making the parent club playing like that.

And Klingberg has a point per game with his new AHL club...  I wouldn't put to much stock into the stats.   I don't follow the Ice Caps but looking purely at the stats on hockeydb it appears the club is a very low scoring club.