Next year's line up?

Ducky

Teams are always looking to get younger, NHL is a young mans game, It's not just about this season either, it's about the past 4, if they miss it this year and they were "buyers" at the trade deadline, adding tlusty and stempniak really, that's what they "bought", might not have if Perreault was healthy, but if they miss it, it will be just like every other season since relocation, not quite good enough. Eventually if that keeps happening and it might happen again this year, you gotta look at the core of the team and make decisions there. Can this team win how they are set up right now or do changes need to happen? 

It's not my call really but... it's not about 1 season, it's about 3 or 4 now where they might not be good enough to make it.

Being in contention only matters if you make it, if you finish 9th, It's basically a kick to your nuts really.

Maurice's first interview on the subject related the story that Chevy told him if things didnt turn around, they'd deal assets and get younger, the implication being some of the veterans on the team.  I took it to mean that Chevy was "warning" Maurice that they had a long term view.

The second interview noted the conversation with Chevy again and I believe Maurice said something like "who knows, we might be getting younger next season".  He further said something to the effect of "I know that's not what guys like Ladd or Buff might want to hear because they are right in that age when they want to win now but we do want to win now but we have a draft and develop plan."  he further went on to talk about how they were buyers at the deadline.

He was essentially saying that the plan hasnt changed.  Draft & develop.  What happens in the short terms dictates whether they go all-in on waiting for the future or make moves to compete now (like they did this year).

Maurice's first interview on the subject related the story that Chevy told him if things didnt turn around, they'd deal assets and get younger, the implication being some of the veterans on the team.  I took it to mean that Chevy was "warning" Maurice that they had a long term view.

The second interview noted the conversation with Chevy again and I believe Maurice said something like "who knows, we might be getting younger next season".  He further said something to the effect of "I know that's not what guys like Ladd or Buff might want to hear because they are right in that age when they want to win now but we do want to win now but we have a draft and develop plan."  he further went on to talk about how they were buyers at the deadline.

He was essentially saying that the plan hasnt changed.  Draft & develop.  What happens in the short terms dictates whether they go all-in on waiting for the future or make moves to compete now (like they did this year).

not how i interpreted the  2nd interview...wish i cud find it.

Copp just signed a 3 year 2 way ELC

Good news.

The Winnipeg Jets are pleased to announce they have agreed to terms with forward Andrew Copp on a three-year, two-way, entry level contract with an average annual value of $958,300. Copp will now report directly to the Winnipeg Jets.

Copp, 20, recently completed his junior season with the University of Michigan Wolverines. The Ann Arbor, MI native has ended his college career with 81 points (40G, 41A) in 107 games over three seasons with the Wolverines. Copp was named Michigan’s team captain for the 2014-15 season. For his performance leading the Wolverines this season, he was recognized by the NCAA and earned All-Big Ten second team honours. He previously led the University of Michigan in goals (15) during his sophomore year in 2013-14. That same season, he represented the USA at the 2014 World Junior Chamipionships where he recorded five assists in five games.

Copp was drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in the fourth round, 104th overall, in the 2013 NHL Draft.

Andrew Copp

Centre
Born Jul 8 1994 -- Ann Arbor, MI
Height 6.02 -- Weight 210 -- Shoots L
Selected by Winnipeg Jets round 4 #104 overall 2013 NHL Entry Draft

Could he be our 4th line centre next season or will he spend some time seasoning with the Moose?

If I recall correctly, when Lawless was asked which prospect had the best chance of playing on the big club next season he replied Andrew Copp.  He looks like he's got the size.  If he can make the Jets I'd love the fact that two of our starting centers would have been drafted in later rounds (3rd/4th).  Good scouting.

I'd be shocked if he played. I think they do this to give him a taste of the big leagues. See what it is like, get oriented and put a little cash in his pocket.

I could be wrong, but I don't think a year is burned unless he actually plays games.

Maurice talking today about moving a right D man to the left side to make sure everyone gets the minutes.... tells me they have no plans to move any of the 3 RH D men....good news if you ask me.

I wondered this on these boards a little while ago about whether any of Myers, Buff or Trouba could play the left side.  I would think Buff is most likely as he played both wings.

Andrew Copp was torn about his future on Monday.

MORE LIKE THIS

Berenson unsure of Larkin, Werenski and Copp's futures

Honored icers may be NHL-bound

Andrew Copp: Off the gridiron, onto the ice

Money in the Bank: Brendan Morrison's lasting legacy of embodying Michigan hockey

Three days later, the junior captain has made up his mind and has decided to forgo his senior season, signing a three-year entry-level contract to join the Winnipeg Jets organization.

Copp was a fourth-round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft and tallied 81 points over his three seasons in Ann Arbor.

Copp, an Ann Arbor native, centered Michigan’s first line this season and finished third on the team with 31 points — 14 goals and 17 assists. He centered a line that featured sophomore forwards Alex Kile and JT Compher.

Michigan coach Red Berenson said on Monday that Copp could potentially leave after this season, but didn’t expect this decision to happen so soon.

“I gave him all the reasons he should stay. It’s not a rush. It’s an emotional thing,” Berenson said. “It was a tough three days the way he explained it. He thinks the opportunity is exceptional, but they tell you all those things and you believe them.

“I just wish he would stay and do it right — graduate with your teammates and classmates. Take this team to another level. We lost to a senior-laden Minnesota team. Well, how about a senior-laden Michigan team?”

Copp is reporting directly to Winnipeg, and the Daily has learned he will likely play in NHL games this season — perhaps the deciding factor. He will be joining former teammate Jacob Trouba, who left Michigan two season ago to play for the Jets.

However, that doesn’t mean Copp will remain there next season, and he could very well end up playing for the St. Johns IceCaps in the American Hockey League. If that is the case, it won’t sit well with Berenson.

“I just told Andrew that I hope he makes it,” Berenson said, “and plays in the NHL next year because I will feel sick if he is playing in the minors and giving up his senior year at Michigan to play in the American Hockey League.”

Berenson cited previous examples of players who have stayed for their senior year and ascended to the NHL quicker than their counterparts who departed early.

Berenson referenced Carl Hagelin and Luke Glandening, who now play for the New York Rangers and Detroit Red Wings, respectively, as players who benefited from returning for their senior years.

More notably, Berenson thinks former Hobey Baker winner Brendan Morrison is the epitome of why a player should stay all four years.

According to Berenson, the New Jersey Devils tried to convince Morrison to bolt after his junior year after he led Michigan to a national championship in 1996. Morrison’s dad, however, refused to let him leave Ann Arbor, and he went on to win the Hobey Baker award the next season, before being placed on the Albany Devils — the New Jersey Devils’ AHL affiliate.

“The general manager from New Jersey immediately signed him to Albany to prove a point,” Berenson said. “And then a couple weeks later, the GM called me and said ‘Red, I just watched Brendan Morrison score five goals tonight — he’s way too good for this league.’

“So I reminded him that’s why Brendan stayed another year, to become more NHL-ready, not ready to play in the minors.”

Berenson wishes Copp could have the same opportunity Morrison once had.

Berenson isn’t blaming Copp for anything, though. He reiterated that NHL teams are vicious when trying to sign their prospects.

“I was hoping he would take some time and think through the gravity of the situation and not just jump at the opportunity,” Berenson said. “I warned him a couple of weeks ago that this was going to happen — that they would pressure on him when our season ended.

“They want them out as soon as they can so they have control. The biggest fear they have is if he stays and plays his senior year, and then doesn’t sign with them next year and becomes a free agent.

“They are going to try and sign all juniors they can. They don’t care if they are ready.”

The first game Copp could feasibly see NHL action is on Sunday against the Chicago Blackhawks, and Berenson said he doesn’t think Copp will be “out of place.”

But it still hurts Berenson knowing Copp won’t ever don a Michigan sweater again, especially on a team that was lining up to be the best in years.

“I’m not mad at Andrew Copp for leaving,” Berenson said. “I’m disappointed that he’s leaving. I’m disappointed for our team. It’s a big loss for our team, and I don’t think it’s necessary.

I know its easy to say that the NHL money will be there eventually, even if he waits.   But you are offering a 20 year old kid almost a million dollars a year to come up to the big leagues (less if he is sent down to the AHL next year, but it will still be pretty damn good money).

That in itself makes it hard to say no to.

I think buff may sign a very reasonable extension this off season and they will flip him to the left side. Just a feeling I get now. Seems to like it here and is a leader. Might not like it elsewhere and wouldn't be one of the leaders. 5 x 5

Have to wonder how much playing in Winnipeg will factor in for these ex-Atlanta guys...  must be a huge difference coming to work to a capacity crowd that is pretty much insane instead of a half-empty barn.  I think Buff and Ladd take 'hometown' discounts...

The way they're playing right now, wouldn't be surprised to see something like this next year

Perrault-Schiefele-Wheeler

Ladd-Lowry-Frolik

Ehlers-Little-Stafford

Thorburn-Copp-Armia

Buff-Trouba

Enstrom-Myers

Chiarot-Stuart

Ladd and Lowry looking pretty good together - that's a pretty solid team if Copp and Armia are as good as they say.