Politics (As Usual)

Bomber Diehard

He doesn't know how to save money.......The worst Premier that Manitoba ever had.

As opposed to Sterling Lyon who referred to Manitoba women as "good breeders" and Filmon with his vote-rigging scandal? Or premier-hopeful Brian Pallister who calls non-Christians "infidels"?

As opposed to Sterling Lyon who referred to Manitoba women as "good breeders" and Filmon with his vote-rigging scandal? Or premier-hopeful Brian Pallister who calls non-Christians "infidels"?

LOL - I know you are an NDP supporter so that's why you are only mentioning Conservatives but no premier can hold a candle in terms of being downright the worst ever than Howard "the Coward" Pawley. His ultra-shitty NDP government in the 1980's - man they were some kind of suck. They are one of the main reasons I just can't stand the NDP, as I truly saw the hideous side of their tax and spend union first ideology in action with that government. They were just the worst.

All governments are like diapers, they need to be changed or they start to smell. I wish here in BC we had someone else to vote for, but as bad as our provincial government is, no one wants the NDP back in power.

LOL - I know you are an NDP supporter so that's why you are only mentioning Conservatives but no premier can hold a candle in terms of being downright the worst ever than Howard "the Coward" Pawley. His ultra-shitty NDP government in the 1980's - man they were some kind of suck. They are one of the main reasons I just can't stand the NDP, as I truly saw the hideous side of their tax and spend union first ideology in action with that government. They were just the worst.

All governments are like diapers, they need to be changed or they start to smell. I wish here in BC we had someone else to vote for, but as bad as our provincial government is, no one wants the NDP back in power.

You want Redford & Stelmach? You can gladly have them. 

You want Redford & Stelmach? You can gladly have them.

No thanks. You want Christy Clark?
Richard Brandson wanted to poke her...
How about Stan Kubicek.

I used to like Stan. So did the new car dealers in Steinbach. Remember the Park Pontiac Girl? You got it Park Pontiac. 

Sure sounds like some visitors we have coming around every summer.

He doesn't know how to save money.......The worst Premier that Manitoba ever had.

One incident of idiot staffers doesn't ruin a great legacy of Filmon. Would take him back any day.

I'm a leftie and I can't stand Selinger. I wasn't a huge Doer fan at the time, but in hindsight wow, do I miss him as premiere. I don't think taxes are a bad thing, and spending within reason can help create a great society to live and work in -- but the NDP under Selinger just don't know what they're doing. Plus, he just reeks of insincerity.

Of course, I also think Pallister is a religious windbag who would happily take Manitoba back to the 1990s -- and not in any good ways.

Manitoba thrived under Doer, and we need a no-nonsense, populous leader who can get things done but also balance budgets. Unfortunately, I don't see one in sight.

Western Canada has some pretty decent mayors overall right now, but some pretty piss-poor premieres.

One incident of idiot staffers doesn't ruin a great legacy of Filmon. Would take him back any day.

The PC's campaign manager, a party bigwig (who didn't learn anything from it and tried to rig another election 4 years later in a relative's riding), Filmon's Chief of Staff and the Secretary to Treasury Board - those aren't just any staffers - they were all trusted advisors and friends of Filmon. 

What legacy does Filmon have? Firing nurses, privatizing MTS, making cuts to social services, etc, etc.

Mods, maybe it's time to split off the non-IGF discussion from this thread. This has gone so off topic.

Firing nurses lol

Filmon's biggest problem was we had an NDP government before him.  He came into office with a deficit, dwindling transfer payments and a bleak situation.  Balanced the budget, made it law (which the NDP undid) and governed pretty well.  What I like most is, when you look at one of the biggest issues during his time, the Jets' situation, you had people on one side thinking he didnt do enough and people on the other side thinking he had done too much.  Perfect example of not being able to please everyone.

As for privatizing MTS, the MTS of the 90's is a lot different than the MTS of today.  It would have taken a massive public investment for MTS to keep up with changing technologies.  Sure, maybe everyone would still have a landline phone for $10/month.  But thats all you'd have.

The PC's campaign manager, a party bigwig (who didn't learn anything from it and tried to rig another election 4 years later in a relative's riding), Filmon's Chief of Staff and the Secretary to Treasury Board - those aren't just any staffers - they were all trusted advisors and friends of Filmon. 

What legacy does Filmon have? Firing nurses, privatizing MTS, making cuts to social services, etc, etc.

Mods, maybe it's time to split off the non-IGF discussion from this thread. This has gone so off topic.

Filmon's government had it's warts. All governments do over time. I would gladly take Filmon's record over Selinger's, any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Selinger is easlly the worst premier we have had in Manitoba since Pawley. His record is atrocious. Awful, awful mismanagement on every level.

Firing nurses lol

Filmon's biggest problem was we had an NDP government before him.  He came into office with a deficit, dwindling transfer payments and a bleak situation.  Balanced the budget, made it law (which the NDP undid) and governed pretty well.  What I like most is, when you look at one of the biggest issues during his time, the Jets' situation, you had people on one side thinking he didnt do enough and people on the other side thinking he had done too much.  Perfect example of not being able to please everyone.

As for privatizing MTS, the MTS of the 90's is a lot different than the MTS of today.  It would have taken a massive public investment for MTS to keep up with changing technologies.  Sure, maybe everyone would still have a landline phone for $10/month.  But thats all you'd have.

Never ceases to amaze me how the pro-NDP keep trying to perpetuate the myth of fired nurses, even though PUBLIC RECORD has shown that it is an outright LIE.

Firing nurses lol

Here we go with the privatization boogey-man again. The good news for Manitoba is that Manitobans are not fooled by the NDPs scare tactics anymore. Only the very die-hard NDP supporters, which are a breed quickly becoming extinct, are willing to listen to this cock and bull anymore.

Yeah really.  I mean even if you would prefer to keep MTS as a crown corporation, I'd love for someone to explain why MTS is bad.  The thing is, there is so much competition.  Just read the quarterly financial reports from MTS to see that.  I have zero faith MTS as a crown corp would have been able to successfully position itself as a market leader in current technology. 

Hydro is different.  There isnt multiple competitive companies coming here to battle over your electricity dollars.  The NDP loves crown corps so they can take the profits and pretend their deficit isnt as bad as it really is.

As it relates to the Stadium, I had no problem with the deal that was made but regardless of who was in power, the deal would have been made.  Neither the PC's nor the NDP would have allowed the Bombers to essentially fold.  Just as the NDP would have done as much to save the Jets as the PC's tried to do too.

Firing nurses lol

Lets look at the MTS privatization. Has anyone gotten better service since it was privatized? Filmon lied- in the election before he privatatized MTS, he personally promised he would not privatize it, and then he did it. He said that Manitoba could not afford to have a crown corporation help keep up with all the pending technology, but and here is where it gets interesting, the legislation to sell MTS specifically prevented SaskTel from buying MTS, and they were very interested.

Same old stories-lying Tories

Firing nurses lol

Lets look at the MTS privatization. Has anyone gotten better service since it was privatized? Filmon lied- in the election before he privatatized MTS, he personally promised he would not privatize it, and then he did it. He said that Manitoba could not afford to have a crown corporation help keep up with all the pending technology, but and here is where it gets interesting, the legislation to sell MTS specifically prevented SaskTel from buying MTS, and they were very interested.

Same old stories-lying Tories

Yes, everyone gets better service.  MTS had lousy customer service for awhile and they knew that.  They have improved in that area significantly.  Its certainly no worse than any "call center" service I've experienced with other comparable businesses including SHAW.  If you're referring to the Phone Center stores, they would have gone away regardless and if they didnt, thats a perfect example of why the government couldnt be trusted to effectively run the operation.

Im really not sure there is a great argument against the privatization of MTS at this point.  I was pretty young during the bulk of the Filmon years and actually grew up very anti-PC (my parents were NDP'ers) but the older I got, the more I couldnt deny his effectiveness as a leader.  As a young person in the 90's, Winnipeg sucked big time.  Everyone I knew was dying to get out.  Losing the Jets was another nail in the coffin.  Filmon was the leader we needed at the time we got him.  NDP had come in and screwed things up, economy was bad, transfer payments down.  PC's governed during bad times, steered us through it and when things turned around, here came the NDP with alot of wonderful ways to spend the money the PC's worked hard to generate.  And now history repeats itself except the Selinger government has had pretty good times and loads of money...they are just incompetent.  And along will come a PC party to fix things.