In the neighbourhood

FrostyWinnipeg

K-Band is a type of radar, commonly used in radar guns. Some people have radar detectors, and it helps to know what type of radar is being used against you so that you may continue to endanger lives without getting a ticket.

Source: google, you lazy bastards.

http://www.valentine1.com/V1Info/whatyoushouldknowradar.asp

This school zone speed limit is the most pointless thing I've ever seen.  Sorry...it has a point: generate revenue.  I realise it's an easy argument to make, you're either in favour of saving lives or putting children at risk.  Except that's not the point.  My God how stupid.

Driving through my area twice on Monday.  The idiot is sitting there on Chancellor at 5PM.  NOT A CHILD TO BE SEEN ANYWHERE.  And cars are driving at little more than walking speed.

But what about the children!??  Oh no, all of the fatalities that were happening. It was chaos with children being maimed left and right, the streets running red with the blood of the innocent children being mowed down by the evil drivers. 

It simply doesnt happen.  50KMH is perfectly reasonable.  And here's something...there was already a little known law that when school was beginning or ending (ie when kids were actually in the area), the 50KMH was reduced to 30.  Didnt need signs.  Just common sense that if hundreds of kids were milling about, you'd slow down.  And before you say "yeah but ignorant drivers wouldnt slow down", well if someone wants to speed they will speed regardless.  The police could have enforced it.  But guess what, they didnt.  Want to know why?  Because there was no issue with kids being mowed down.

They should have made it some kind or time of day speed limit.  Speed limit 50KM/h, 30KM/h from 8-4.

And yes, I agree.  It's nothing but a money grab.  I mean, how many fatalities, or even injuries, have their been in the school zones in this city?  Wanna go after people, go after the pricks that are actually speeding and using their cell phones in school zones.  Get off your lazy ass's and actually patrol the city instead of just sitting on the street corner asleep while letting your auto camera snap the "wrong doers".

K-Band is a type of radar, commonly used in radar guns. Some people have radar detectors, and it helps to know what type of radar is being used against you so that you may continue to endanger lives without getting a ticket.

Source: google, you lazy bastards.

http://www.valentine1.com/V1Info/whatyoushouldknowradar.asp

Hey, if we all did that, none of us would have anything to talk about anymore.

They should have made it some kind or time of day speed limit.  Speed limit 50KM/h, 30KM/h from 8-4.

And yes, I agree.  It's nothing but a money grab.  I mean, how many fatalities, or even injuries, have their been in the school zones in this city?  Wanna go after people, go after the pricks that are actually speeding and using their cell phones in school zones.  Get off your lazy ass's and actually patrol the city instead of just sitting on the street corner asleep while letting your auto camera snap the "wrong doers".

This is exactly true.  They fixed a problem that didnt exist.  For example, it was a terrible tragedy that a young girl died at Holiday Mountain this week.  Are they going to close down the expert run?  Are they going to ban school ski trips?  The entire time I went to school, I know of two kids hit by cars.  Both injured pretty seriously, both recovered.  And not a soul talked about lowering the speed limit because it wasnt the fault of the speed of the car, it was kids doing what kids do - running out in traffic.  The idea that 'hey kids will do stupid things so lets bubblewrap the world' is stupid.

Eventually there might be a backlash that sees the law altered.  At best I *might* agree that during the ACTUAL times the BULK of kids are going to and from the immediate school surroundings, you could do this.  So this clown can set up his camera car at 3:30 and leave at about 3:50.  But sitting there in what seemed like a virtually abandoned neighbourhood at 5PM?  Why was he doing that?  Because drivers will instinctively drive the speed they always have when there ISNT A SINGLE SOUL walking around and thats when you will catch them, not at 3:40 when most drivers in the area are using common sense and going slower...(or going slow simply out of neccesity due to foot traffic, school buses and parents blocking lanes to pick up their kids).

While we're on the subject, can I ***** about the old ladies in charge of the crossing guards and how they never let the cars through?  I'm not talking about not letting the kids cross the street securely, or that cars have the right of way, I'm talking about these nut jobs that sits in the middle of traffic in a four way and holds up all traffic for every lagging kid that may or may not be crossing the street even though the kids are still 50 feet away from the four way.  Hey, we want a no idle zone because we don't want to pollute the world, but let's keep all the cars sitting at a stand still because these kids who are still 20 second from arriving at the four way look like they may or may not cross the street.

Luckily I don't have to deal with this, but I did one time because I had to go to my wife's work to pick her up early for something and had to cross through a school zone just as the kids were let out.  I sat there forever while watching these women hold up traffic.  NO ONE WAS CROSSING THE STREET but she deemed it necessary to hold everyone up because there were a few straggling kids (multiple times) that were coming towards the intersection and she decided to just sit there and wait for them while traffic just built up.  I mean geez, let a few cars get through, every once in a while then open it up again once there's a good amount of kids waiting, don't just sit there holding up traffic waiting for every last child to come out of the school before you move.

While we're on the subject, can I ***** about the old ladies in charge of the crossing guards and how they never let the cars through?  I'm not talking about not letting the kids cross the street securely, or that cars have the right of way, I'm talking about these nut jobs that sits in the middle of traffic in a four way and holds up all traffic for every lagging kid that may or may not be crossing the street even though the kids are still 50 feet away from the four way.  Hey, we want a no idle zone because we don't want to pollute the world, but let's keep all the cars sitting at a stand still because these kids who are still 20 second from arriving at the four way look like they may or may not cross the street.

Luckily I don't have to deal with this, but I did one time because I had to go to my wife's work to pick her up early for something and had to cross through a school zone just as the kids were let out.  I sat there forever while watching these women hold up traffic.  NO ONE WAS CROSSING THE STREET but she deemed it necessary to hold everyone up because there were a few straggling kids (multiple times) that were coming towards the intersection and she decided to just sit there and wait for them while traffic just built up.  I mean geez, let a few cars get through, every once in a while then open it up again once there's a good amount of kids waiting, don't just sit there holding up traffic waiting for every last child to come out of the school before you move.

There must have been a change in process from when I was a school patrol as a kid.  It never fails to amaze me how little structure the kids today seem to have.

When I was a school patrol, it was treated as a privilage.  And we had to stand at attention and look the part.  And the process was cars had the right of way.  If there was traffic, you held back the kids until traffic had passed.  Even if a car stopped for you, we were to wave the traffic through.  Worked pretty good for us. 

There must have been a change in process from when I was a school patrol as a kid.  It never fails to amaze me how little structure the kids today seem to have.

When I was a school patrol, it was treated as a privilage.  And we had to stand at attention and look the part.  And the process was cars had the right of way.  If there was traffic, you held back the kids until traffic had passed.  Even if a car stopped for you, we were to wave the traffic through.  Worked pretty good for us. 

Exactly!  I did the same thing.  Now I watch these kids and most aren't even paying attention.  They leave it all to the adult walking around.  And I get why there is an adult walking around.  Wouldn't want some kid stolen on the street.  But they could do it a lot different.  Have the adult out there supervising, and let the kids do the actual work.  The adults are taking over and the kids are just standing there looking up at the sky.

It's a good thing we're letting kids learn how to do things on their own.  Wouldn't want them to gain any knowledge or learn how to live life without a handout or anything.

I would rather they target distracted drivers... I see tonnes of people texting and driving poorly.

Its ridiculous on where they have these signs and where they stash photo radar vehicles while using the safety for kids excuse.

I rarely ever see any photo radar parked right in front of any schools where they should be.

I do however see a photo radar parked on Raleigh by the Wooded forest which in summer blocks your view of the school which is a full block away and yet apparently tonnes of kids cut through the forest to cross the very busy road in which there is a long gap between stop signs...

Im on the fence about cell phone use.  While I admit I have texted (at stop lights etc) I can certainly understand that.  But there was already a distracted driver law and reckless driving law.  Apparently, when radios were first put into cars there was the same doom & gloom about how there was going to be chaos as a result of driver's being distracted.

Hearing about plain clothed cops standing in downtown over-passes to get better looks at cars below and radioing to cars on the ground is just over-kill.  A friend of mine was pulled over and nearly ticketed for using a cell phone.  He pointed out that his phone was in his pocket and the officer mistook him changing the song on his ipod.  The cop replied that he could ticket him for using the ipod too but didnt.  Then why not ticket us for changing CD's or adjusting the radio?  Ticket people that deserve to be ticketed.  Personally, I can talk on the phone and drive at the same time just like I can hold a conversation with the person beside me, sip my iced cap and drive all at the same time.

Somehow when I was 16 and invincible I survived driving and eating a footlong sub on a regular basis. It was messy and I was definitely distracted, but by the grace of spaghetti monster I never killed anyone, only blue boxes. Nowadays, knowing how distracted and dangerous I actually was, it drives me crazy seeing people on their phones or texting while driving. If you want to say you aren't at least a little distracted holding a phone to your head or texting, or yes changing the song on your iPod, you're deluding yourself and you're a legitimate danger to responsible drivers around you. Get off my road.

I think the most clever place for radar cops to hang out is a block past one of the photo-radar intersections... lots of people slow down for the photo radar, then gun it as soon as they clear the intersection. The last speeding ticket I ever got was heading south on Moray crossing Lodge, headed for the Sterling Lion Speedway. Got me doing 65 and accelerating in a 50. Been an otherwise responsible driver since. I'd say it worked as a deterrent. If you get ticketed and don't change your habits then you deserve to fill the citie's coffers with your recklessness.

Im on the fence about cell phone use.  While I admit I have texted (at stop lights etc) I can certainly understand that.  But there was already a distracted driver law and reckless driving law.  Apparently, when radios were first put into cars there was the same doom & gloom about how there was going to be chaos as a result of driver's being distracted.

Hearing about plain clothed cops standing in downtown over-passes to get better looks at cars below and radioing to cars on the ground is just over-kill.  A friend of mine was pulled over and nearly ticketed for using a cell phone.  He pointed out that his phone was in his pocket and the officer mistook him changing the song on his ipod.  The cop replied that he could ticket him for using the ipod too but didnt.  Then why not ticket us for changing CD's or adjusting the radio?  Ticket people that deserve to be ticketed.  Personally, I can talk on the phone and drive at the same time just like I can hold a conversation with the person beside me, sip my iced cap and drive all at the same time.

Bottom line to me is that the old laws (distracted driving etc.) were about safety and the no-cellphone laws are about revenue generation. Cops pretending to be beggars at stop lights really hit this home. And I've never been ticketed for either.

Im on the fence about cell phone use. While I admit I have texted (at stop lights etc) I can certainly understand that. But there was already a distracted driver law and reckless driving law. Apparently, when radios were first put into cars there was the same doom & gloom about how there was going to be chaos as a result of driver's being distracted.

Hearing about plain clothed cops standing in downtown over-passes to get better looks at cars below and radioing to cars on the ground is just over-kill. A friend of mine was pulled over and nearly ticketed for using a cell phone. He pointed out that his phone was in his pocket and the officer mistook him changing the song on his ipod. The cop replied that he could ticket him for using the ipod too but didnt. Then why not ticket us for changing CD's or adjusting the radio? Ticket people that deserve to be ticketed. Personally, I can talk on the phone and drive at the same time just like I can hold a conversation with the person beside me, sip my iced cap and drive all at the same time.

Bottom line to me is that the old laws (distracted driving etc.) were about safety and the no-cellphone laws are about revenue generation. Cops pretending to be beggars at stop lights really hit this home. And I've never been ticketed for either.

I have no problem with laws against cell phone use. Way too many idiots staring at their damn phone when they should be staring at the road.

worse than drunk drivers. Because they're sober and making dangerous decisions.

I agree with the cell phone laws.  It's one thing to be talking to someone beside you, but for some reason when people are holding a cell phone to their ear they suck at driving, and I see it all the time.  Don't get me started on texting and driving.  That's just beyond stupid.  I've tried it a few times in the past and there is no way you are in control of your car when you're doing it, I don't care who you are.  There is nothing so important that you need to be talking or texting while driving.

As an addition to post #1 I'd thought I'd pass along how they do things in Oklahoma City. They have the signs but the speed laws are only active at certain times of the day and even then they have flashing lights to alert you when it is in effect.

Sounds like their motivation is safety not money. Which is the opposite in Manitoba. They want to trap people and generate revenue. It's disgusting.