The Brier - An Ice Alternative 2015

Mr Dee

After some poor starts for teams like Manitoba and Alberta, things have settled down somewhat. The bottom teams are where they are likely to be, but the play of the young PEI team - Casey, has to bode well for their future.

Team Canada has been all over the place with John Morris's spotty play.

Team N. Ont. are on the warpath and demolishing everybody so far.

Team Alt. is back at it as Koe has settled down and regained his form,

Team Sask. has been playing strongly and are proving they belong.

Team Quebec are loud as usual but are making some good shots.

Look to N. Ont to be in the 1-2 game and some very tough competition between Sask., Alta., N/L, Mb., and BC for the final 3 playoff spots.

Tuesday - March 3rd After Draw 8

Round Robin Team W L Northern Ontario (Jacobs) 5 0 Saskatchewan (Laycock) 4 1 Alberta (Koe) 3 2 Newfoundland and Labrador (Gushue) 3 2 British Columbia (Cotter) 3 2 Manitoba (Carruthers) 3 2 Québec (Ménard) 2 3 Team Canada (Morris) 2 3 Ontario (Kean) 2 3 Prince Edward Island (Casey) 2 3 New Brunswick (Mallais) 1 4 Northwest Territories (Koe) 0 5

Koe had (has?) the flu pretty bad, according to reports. Was a total mess. 

Morris (Team Canada), everyone who follows curling knew that team was going to be the shits. They don't curl together full time. Morris and Rycroft wanted to take the year off, but were talked into coming back because they got a free berth to the Brier. They've curled maybe 2 or 3 bonspiels this year, tops. I said going in they'd be lucky to be .500. Morris has been so bad, they gave Pat Simmons the skip duties and Morris is just going to play 3rd and shoot now.

Reider had a pretty awful weekend, but seems to have settled down a bit. Still got an uphill battle, but if they can get hot.....

Gushue seems to have hit a rough spot and will have to get his **** figured out, or he's going to be in a dogfight at the end...

Jacobs should have smooth sailing to his 2nd Brier title, but you just never know what'll happen come playoff time. Jimmy Cotter has been looking sharp, and could surprise...

Cotter and Laycock are the biggest surprises to me so far. I keep waiting for Saskatchewan to fall back to the pack because I don't see them as anything more than a middling team, but nothing yet. Cotter has been a bit up and down when it comes to win, but he showed a lot of stones to beat Koe on Saturday night and is the kind of guy who if he gets hot might be a pain in everyones ass. 

Cotter and Laycock are the biggest surprises to me so far. I keep waiting for Saskatchewan to fall back to the pack because I don't see them as anything more than a middling team, but nothing yet. Cotter has been a bit up and down when it comes to win, but he showed a lot of stones to beat Koe on Saturday night and is the kind of guy who if he gets hot might be a pain in everyones ass. 

Laycock barely got out of Saskatchewan, they are a very iffy team but more often than not find a way to win. They still have to play Jacobs, K. Koe, and Cotter, and are currently losing to Menard tonight. Could easily finish 6-5 yet. Even Kean has played well enough to give them a game when they meet.

Well Jacobs is curb stomping everyone at the Brier this year so I wouldn't worry too much about Carruthers losing that one. It was the losses on the opening weekend that really shouldn't have happened. As for how he won Manitoba I don't think it's that complicated. They're not a bad team just seems a bit inconsistent and Mike Mcewen has a real problem with choking at the provincials. All in all it's a pretty close field at the brier this year. Jacobs is running away with it and Koe isn't as sharp as they should be but there's a whole lot of teams in the middle of the pack and as a curling fan it's kind of fun to watch when you really don't know what's going to happen. Used to be you just pencilled in Stoughton and Howard and whichever team was out of Alberta into the playoffs.

The Brier has had more drama and strange things going on this year than others. First a broom breaks when a guy was sweeping. Then a handle comes off a rock in another game. Followed by "broom-gate and, last night, a hog line violation that wasn't. One of those things happening is unusual so to have all that in the first days is downright strange.

Race for the playoffs prior to today's draws:

5-2 Gushue NL- play - PEI, ALTA, NO, QC

4-2 Laycock Sask - play - NO, PE, ALTA, ON, BC

4-3 Morris TC - play - BC, ON, QC, NO

4-3 Menard QC - play - NT, MB, TC, NL

3-3 Cotter BC - play - TC, MB, NT, NB, SASK

3-3 Koe ALTA - play - NL, NT, SASK, MB, NB

3-3 Carruthers MB - play - QC, BC, ONT, ALTA, PE

7 teams vying for the 3 remaining playoff spots. Want to give a spot to NL and Gushue but they play 3 tough teams plus the ? Casey and PE. That team, PE, will determine the fate of a few teams as they play 3 of the top teams.

Sask, TC, QC, have the early advantage having won their 4th game already, but Sask has to play an extra game.

Koe and Cotter have a step up but they have to play an extra game.

Carruthers, IMO, has the toughest road to get there.

Look for Gushue and Cotter to sneak in and the 4th team ???? Quebec could be the dark horse in all of this.

Definitely could be tie-breakers.

Last night, in the TC vs AB game, a hog line infraction was overturned by the players after the replay showed it wasn't an infraction. That's what I love about this game. Both teams agreed there was no infraction and Rycroft was allowed to re-throw the rock. No fuss, no muss, and nobody had to throw a challenge flag.

Noeller, I don't want to sound like the old guy saying he walked ten miles to school one way twice a day everyday but kids today don't realize how good they have it with the access to junior development programs & coaching. If only they had this back in my day. I think it's great.

Well, Rama is basically done now, at 4 losses. Really had an awful week so far, but in fairness, it's a first year team...#3 seed at Select, and fluked their way through that week. It's unfortunate we don't have our best team repping us at the Brier, but such is curling. Mike's likely the only other team in the world that'd give those juice monkeys a run for their money this week. 

Time to start thinking about the women's worlds and rooting Jonesy on to another championship...

Well, Rama is basically done now, at 4 losses. Really had an awful week so far, but in fairness, it's a first year team...#3 seed at Select, and fluked their way through that week. It's unfortunate we don't have our best team repping us at the Brier, but such is curling. Mike's likely the only other team in the world that'd give those juice monkeys a run for their money this week. 

Time to start thinking about the women's worlds and rooting Jonesy on to another championship...

He lost to Reid twice in a row at the select, hard to say he's the best when he can't beat his competition...

He lost to Reid twice in a row at the select, hard to say he's the best when he can't beat his competition...

You've hated him for years! Just last night you wanted to bash his head in with a pipe!

the beauty of curling is that, more so than just about any sport, anyone can beat anyone on any given day. Carruthers got real hot for a week. McEwen has a sad and long history of choking in the provincials. Lost to Stoughton, lost to Fowler, lost to Carruthers. Is the #1 team in the world by a LOT, but can not win the Prov's to save his life...

How did Carruthers beat McEwen??? He's sucked all week. New team or not. 

He hasn't sucked all week, he's been really inconsistent. That's how he won the select. Play well at the right time you can win games, play poorly at the wrong times and you lose. 

It must be remembered that although Carruthers has been here before, it is a new experience for his team, and the Brier is not an easy atmosphere to slide into. 

MB would have far better represented by McEwen's team as they play world class competition all the time. They would have had, probably, the best chance at knocking off Jacobs. Not to be. Carruthers knew how to play McEwen and beat him twice. It was no fluke. But that happens in any sport, where the better team doesn't always win.

This particular Brier is filled with teams that are good…just not good enough to knock of the defending Gold Medal Champs - Team Jacobs.

Team Gushue is solid (7-2) and will make the playoffs, probably at the #2 spot. 2 tough games left - NO, QC

Team Canada (6-3) is back on track after switching skips (Simmons for Morris) 2 games left - QC, NO

Team Menard QC (6-3) playing steady 2 games left - TC, NL

Those 4 teams hold the 4 playoff spots but Sask, Alta and MB may still figure in the playoffs.

There's bound to be some sort of tie-breaker depending on these upcoming games.

Very interesting…if you're into curling.

It must be remembered that although Carruthers has been here before, it is a new experience for his team, and the Brier is not an easy atmosphere to slide into. 

MB would have far better represented by McEwen's team as they play world class competition all the time. They would have had, probably, the best chance at knocking off Jacobs. Not to be. Carruthers knew how to play McEwen and beat him twice. It was no fluke. But that happens in any sport, where the better team doesn't always win.

Carruthers plays on tour all the time as well so it's not a case of one team playing at a higher level than the other, and all of Carruthers team except for one guy has brier experience too. Mcewen has more success on tour without a doubt but none of them have any brier experience, and given all the trouble he's had winning Manitoba I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that they might not be the guarantee at the brier some think in their first go around. That team is good, but they have a lot of mental demons they need to get over. 

Carruthers plays on tour all the time as well so it's not a case of one team playing at a higher level than the other, and all of Carruthers team except for one guy has brier experience too. Mcewen has more success on tour without a doubt but none of them have any brier experience, and given all the trouble he's had winning Manitoba I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that they might not be the guarantee at the brier some think in their first go around. That team is good, but they have a lot of mental demons they need to get over. 

Carruther's team does play on the tour, but with not as much success. The team is new, so they have to get more playing experience together. Are they strong enough positions 1 thru 3 behind Carruthers? Time will tell.

McEwen has always had those "demons" and seemed to have overcome them, especially within the last year and a half. It's a shame he has Manitoba Select issues because he would be a top 4 candidate in this field of competitors.

Carruther's team does play on the tour, but with not as much success. The team is new, so they have to get more playing experience together. Are they strong enough positions 1 thru 3 behind Carruthers? Time will tell.

McEwen has always had those "demons" and seemed to have overcome them, especially within the last year and a half. It's a shame he has Manitoba Select issues because he would be a top 4 candidate in this field of competitors.

well he should be, but he's lost to teams he should beat in the provincials a lot of times and he's never done much of note at any of the olympic trials either. To be blunt I think he and his team don't have the mental strength to win events when there is pressure on them. It's one thing to win on the tour where there's few people watching and not much media exposure, but when the bright lights come on and there's a lot more attention on it he seems to fade. Curling is such a mental game if a guy has shown time and time again that things get into his head maybe we stop pretending like winning a bunch of early season bonspiels matters all that much. Great for his bank account but not so good for his legacy as a curler. 

Curling is a mental game, but each game still is isolated, one team against another. With that in mind, I'd rank The Jacobs team as being the best at that in a sports competition arena. However, I still wouldn't bet against the McEwen rink, at any time, against the Jacobs rink, in any competition. They can match up with anybody in the world.

In this Brier field, no matter my personal preference, the team I would want representing Canada, no doubt, is the Jacobs rink.

In an isolated event yeah Mcewen can beat anyone. Hell he wins as many or more bonspiels as anyone going. I just think that he doesn't have that mental edge, and the way he ducked the post game interviews after losing the provincial finals I question whether he has the mental maturity to win the "big" events. That's where the Jacobs team has really improved lately. They've all matured and gotten better at not having those break downs mentally. I don't see that same growth from Mcewen. 

Plus the guy damned near lost a best of 3 series to a team of scrubs in university, how good can he really be?

the beauty of curling is that, more so than just about any sport, anyone can beat anyone on any given day. Carruthers got real hot for a week. McEwen has a sad and long history of choking in the provincials. Lost to Stoughton, lost to Fowler, lost to Carruthers. Is the #1 team in the world by a LOT, but can not win the Prov's to save his life...

Look up Gary Ross & see how many Manitoba finals he lost in the 70's & 80's. He never made it to the Brier.