Brohm re-signs with Bombers

gbill2004

Yes, very good news.  I really liked what I saw of Brohm last year and I'd much prefer Brohm over Glenn.  I wonder how this impacts Marve and Portis?  I wonder if they'll be happy being 3rd string and 4th QB again this year...

l expect we will have 1 QB in sick bay a fair bit .... may trade 1 qb if need be ... LOTS OF GOOD THINGS CAN HAPPEN ... good players eventually get their opportunity

Brohm had one good half of football. That doesn't make him a solid qb. If anything there's a lot of questions that need answering about him.

Same could be said for Drew Willy - he had 3-4 decent games that resulted in wins early on, but his level of play actually regressed. So lots of questions about him too.

Here's what I like about Brian Brohm: it's obvious Brohm has a high football IQ and every time got on the field he got better, not worse.

He makes very quick reads -  faster than Drew Willy and he gets rid of the ball more quickly and, generally, right on target.

He manages the clock better than Drew Willy - he rarely uses the entire 20 second clock between plays whereas Willy almost always requires the whole pre-snap to make his reads. So there's usually no urgency in a Drew Willy led offence.

Brohm only threw for about 450 yards last year but he had a better QB passing percentage in 2014 than Drew Willy at 69.6% vs 64%.

Brohm had one good half of football. That doesn't make him a solid qb. If anything there's a lot of questions that need answering about him.

Same could be said for Drew Willy - he had 3-4 decent games that resulted in wins early on, but his level of play actually regressed. So lots of questions about him too.

Here's what I like about Brian Brohm: it's obvious Brohm has a high football IQ and every time got on the field he got better, not worse.

He makes very quick reads -  faster than Drew Willy and he gets rid of the ball more quickly and, generally, right on target.

He manages the clock better than Drew Willy - he rarely uses the entire 20 second clock between plays whereas Willy almost always requires the whole pre-snap to make his reads. So there's usually no urgency in a Drew Willy led offence.

Brohm only threw for about 450 yards last year but he had a better QB passing percentage in 2014 than Drew Willy at 69.6% vs 64%.

That's inaccurate. Brohm's completion percentage was actually 55.7%. His QB rating was 69.6, which is awful.

That's inaccurate. Brohm's completion percentage was actually 55.7%. His QB rating was 69.6, which is awful

You're right, Brohm's completion percentage last year was 55.7 vs Willy 63.8.

And Brohm's QB efficiency rating was 69.6 vs Willy at 83.9

Willy though, had worst QB efficiency rating in the league among starters, after Hank who was the worst.

And if you look carefully you see that Brohm's QB rating is low only because, in limited game reps, he didn't throw any TDs.

Willy was also virtually at the bottom among CFL QBs last year when you look at the TD vs INT ratio. Lots of room for improvement there.

Anyway I hope we can sign Brohm. I feel he's underated.

Here is the link to QB stats from 2014: http://cfl.ca/statistics/league/stat/Passing/year/2014/type/reg

That's inaccurate. Brohm's completion percentage was actually 55.7%. His QB rating was 69.6, which is awful

Willy though, had worst QB efficiency rating in the league among starters, after Hank who was the worst.

And if you look carefully you see that Brohm's QB rating is low only because, in limited game reps, he didn't throw any TDs.

Willy was also virtually at the bottom among CFL QBs last year when you look at the TD vs INT ratio. Lots of room for improvement there.

Here is the link to QB stats from 2014: http://cfl.ca/statistics/league/stat/Passing/year/2014/type/reg

I agree that Willy needs to improve, no doubt about it. But I don't think Brohm is a solution of any kind either. He made some impressive throws every now and then, and managed the clock well, but didn't show much otherwise. His reads were off for the most part and his mobility is very limited. I never felt comfortable with him behind centre last year. It doesn't help that he didn't really impress in training camp nor in the preseason, basically getting a roster spot as a reward for being superior to Max Hall.

At best, he should be a third-stringer on this team.

He makes very quick reads - faster than Drew Willy and he gets rid of the ball more quickly and, generally, right on target.

Here is the link to QB stats from 2014: http://cfl.ca/statistics/league/stat/Passing/year/2014/type/reg

I agree that Willy needs to improve, no doubt about it. But I don't think Brohm is a solution of any kind either. He made some impressive throws every now and then, and managed the clock well, but didn't show much otherwise. His reads were off for the most part and his mobility is very limited. I never felt comfortable with him behind centre last year. It doesn't help that he didn't really impress in training camp nor in the preseason, basically getting a roster spot as a reward for being superior to Max Hall.

At best, he should be a third-stringer on this team.

The game where Brohm injured his thumb he looked very impressive. You are correct in that he isn't very mobile, but he had quick accurate reads.

Marve is the exciting QB. He made plays using his feet. He is a totally different QB than what we're used to seeing.

That doesn't make him a better QB than Brohm.

Doublezero is correct in his assessment of Brohm's quick reads and accurate throws. He seems the more accomplished QB.

Personally, I feel better having him backing up Willy more so than Marve…at least for now.

I hope he signs soon.

From Drew Edwards when Brohm was sent to Winnipeg: "It also gives them something of value for a player who has yet to see action in a regular season CFL game. Brohm hurt his non-throwing arm during an exhibition game last June and spent the season on the injured list." Source: http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2014/03/ticats-deal-quarterback-brian-brohm-to-the-bombers.html

From Drew Edwards when Brohm was sent to Winnipeg: "It also gives them something of value for a player who has yet to see action in a regular season CFL game. Brohm hurt his non-throwing arm during an exhibition game last June and spent the season on the injured list." Source: http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2014/03/ticats-deal-quarterback-brian-brohm-to-the-bombers.html

That doesn't mean that the injury kept him out all year. Bombers had several players on the IR in 2014 who weren't actually injured.