Anyone still think we're going with Royal Blue Jerseys this season?

IC Khari

Does the Bomber marketing department have ears? Do they actually listen to fans & forum?

Or do they think they know best?

Yes, the team does listen to the fans.  And yes, we do monitor forums, mostly to make sure we can dispel false information that's being spoken about as fact.  

However, first off, it's not a decision made by the "Marketing department" to change the uniform colors.

Secondly, yes, we are well aware that a segment of fans wants the team to go back to royal blue full time.  

Thirdly, it's not as easy as just "deciding" to make a change and then doing it.  There are far more factors that would go into a move like that than just making a decision a couple of months before the season and swapping jerseys.  It would have to be approved at a variety of levels, and then there would be a substantial cost to switching over all of the team gear, down to the most minute pieces of equipment. If a color scheme switch is going to happen, it's a decision that's made thoughtfully and carefully at higher levels than just the "Marketing department", with consideration given to all of those factors and many, many more.   

Yes, the royal blues are gorgeous and we know a lot of fans love them.  But to suggest the team isn't listening to its fans, or that we "know best" as you put it, just because the royal blues haven't been brought back as the primary jersey is a terribly unfair characterization of the situation when there is substantially more to it than that.

But thanks for your input!

I'm sure we all appreciate the explanation, but if the club was really paying attention, you wouldn't be talking about a decision that had to be made a couple months before the season started. The fans have been calling for the royal blues ever since you first released them.

Personally, I'm just tired of being the Beige Bombers on the road.

Does the Bomber marketing department have ears? Do they actually listen to fans & forum?

Yes, the team does listen to the fans.  And yes, we do monitor forums, mostly to make sure we can dispel false information that's being spoken about as fact.  

However, first off, it's not a decision made by the "Marketing department" to change the uniform colors.

Secondly, yes, we are well aware that a segment of fans wants the team to go back to royal blue full time.  

Thirdly, it's not as easy as just "deciding" to make a change and then doing it.  There are far more factors that would go into a move like that than just making a decision a couple of months before the season and swapping jerseys.  It would have to be approved at a variety of levels, and then there would be a substantial cost to switching over all of the team gear, down to the most minute pieces of equipment. If a color scheme switch is going to happen, it's a decision that's made thoughtfully and carefully at higher levels than just the "Marketing department", with consideration given to all of those factors and many, many more.   

Yes, the royal blues are gorgeous and we know a lot of fans love them.  But to suggest the team isn't listening to its fans, or that we "know best" as you put it, just because the royal blues haven't been brought back as the primary jersey is a terribly unfair characterization of the situation when there is substantially more to it than that.

I'm sure we all appreciate the explanation, but if the club was really paying attention, you wouldn't be talking about a decision that had to be made a couple months before the season started. The fans have been calling for the royal blues ever since you first released them.

Personally, I'm just tired of being the Beige Bombers on the road.

Respectfully want to point out it's not just "a segment of the fans"...I think if there was a poll, you'd see a VAST MAJORITY of fans want the Royal Blues full time. That said, I understand there's a LOT of politics at play here.

And apparently I'm not the only one. It's pretty easy to tell just by looking around the stadium on game days that the away jersey sells like **** and the royal blue is the most popular. But if you still can't tell, a quick viewing of the Bomber Store website confirms it. 34 items in the jersey section. 18 of them are royal blue. 11 of them are the standard current blue jersey. Only 3 of the beige abomination, followed by 2 of last year's Signature Look.

It's pretty obvious that the royal blue is the most popular. Not to mention it's not linked to an era of futility. Just make the change already.

We all appreciate the spin job, but let's be honest, other than the royal blue jersey which is just copying an older design the latest batch of uniforms that have come out have been ass ugly and the team always says "we listened to the fans and have come up with this!" No one buys it. If you want my completely uneducated guess, Reebok who are known for making hideous jerseys came up with these abortions and the Bombers just went along with it and never told them to go back to the drawing board and come up with something that doesn't suck. 

If they really were listening to the fans about jerseys then we'd be royal blue full time. No one thinks the current jerseys are good and everyone hated the bullshit ones that came out last year. Hell royal blue isn't even the biggest thing in my mind, it's just the gross design of the things right now. I want to buy a new jersey, I really do, but I ain't paying money for any of the current jersey or the thirds that came out last year. 

A quick translation:  We really don't listen too much because we know that there are enough of you out there that will buy whatever we offer you.  After all, you keep buying stuff that you hate (I really can't believe some of you bought that dreck "signature jersey" last year) and of course, you keep buying season tickets.  But thanks for your input because we really value it.  Sure we do.  Honest.

Thank you for the explanation Kim.

As a hardcore Blue Bomber fan since the 1990s, I've been to the Bombers store three times in a row in the past year wanting to spend my money, but simply will not buy anything that is navy blue, or that has the generic and empty "W" logo we have now. University of Washington, is it?

Despite some of the logistical hurdles, I just cannot understand the resistance to giving the team the classic, classy, and distinctive look that the fans really want. 

As a hardcore Blue Bomber fan since the 1990s, I've been to the Bombers store three times in a row in the past year wanting to spend my money, but simply will not buy anything that is navy blue, or that has the generic and empty "W" logo we have now. University of Washington, is it?

Despite some of the logistical hurdles, I just cannot understand the resistance to giving the team the classic, classy, and distinctive look that the fans really want. 

The Bombers had the "W" logo before the University of Washington.

Hey, here's something fun for you to try.  Print out a picture of the Bombers helmet and ask 100 Winnipeggers which team's helmet is in the picture.   Then, if you have a bit more free time, try doing that at various points elsewhere in Canada.  See how many say U of Washington.  Get back to us on the results, would you?

Hey, here's something fun for you to try.  Print out a picture of the Bombers helmet and ask 100 Winnipeggers which team's helmet is in the picture.   Then, if you have a bit more free time, try doing that at various points elsewhere in Canada.  See how many say U of Washington.  Get back to us on the results, would you?

Personally, I've had no problem with mis-identification of the W whenever I've worn my hat or various T-shirt/jersey paraphernalia. 

At football, at curling and on the golf courses etc. And this is here in Kelowna.

The only time there may have been a question was in Las Vegas, but what was said there…has to stay there.

The Bombers had the "W" logo before the University of Washington.

Interesting, I didn't know that. But, my point is that there is nothing about the plain W on a hat or t-shirt that makes me identify with the Bombers. I love the W on our helmet, but outside of that context, it doesn't make me think of Winnipeg, the Bombers, or football.  I get that the point of the W is to connect it with wins.

But the logo is three steps back from our 80's logo of the W emerging from behind the football, with the words Blue Bombers. There is no way anybody can misinterpret that logo and what it represented. Not to mention that logo had our team colours nice and bright. 

To each their own, but I won't be spending any money on merch with the new logo or the navy colours. 

Every jersey I wear is a Royal. Have a Joe Pop and Doug Brown from the last incarnation of Royals, and got a Dunigan version of the new Royals. I just can't justify spending money on either the Navy or Beige ones....both the design and colour scheme are a total mess.

Sounds like a fun study :) To clarify, I think the W makes perfect sense on the helmet, but on a hat or shirt, doesn't mean anything to me as there is no context and not enough brand recognition to make the connection.  

Oh cmon already.

How hard is it really?  You make it sound like its building rocket ship hard.

Hey unie sales suck....  why is that?  Fans hate them they are freaking ugly. Really? What sells and what do fans say?....they want the Royals back.  Oh ya? Well whomever is in charge of this kinda thing should get on it.

But your prolly right... knowing the Bombers....  they will have to hire 750 people and conduct a 6 year study on it.

Every other team in the league can get a jersey that at least looks half ways decent but the Bombers continually get crap except for those royal blues, why is that? 

How come when coming up with the signature jerseys last year we wound up with Argo colours? Who is responsible for that? Was that listening to the fans? 

I understand there's deal in place between the league and Reebok to make the jerseys and all that stuff, but we're the only team that seems to get crapped on as much in terms of the product that comes out and I for one would like to know why. Does the team not realize that actually giving the fans what they want will sell more merchandise? 

Kim, a "segment" of fans? "Some"prefer the Royal Blues? That proves to me the team doesn't listen or is clueless when it comes to listening to the fans. I would say the vast majority want the Royal Blues back full time. I found your explanation very frustrating to read because the team & especially Wade Miller IS NOT LISTENING. It's time to make it happen.