Stadium news-again

Tracker

For those of us who thought we had heard the last of the stadium kerfuffle, there is an interesting article in today's Freep and I am not sure if it adds anything new but here goes. As you may have been aware, the general contractor and the steel supplier-installer have had a dust-up going for awhile with the current blame being put on the general contractor although the appeal is being appealed once more. The steel contractor blames the general contractor for putting in the concrete foundations too late and thus causing a year's delay. One of the two are responsible for a year's delay and this seems to explain the occupancy being put off again and again and if everything had gone according to schedule, maybe the original target date may not have been all that unrealistic. FWIW.

related note: the contractor (Stuart Olson Dominion), is also in a dust-up over the convention centre project. The convention centre part is fine, but as part of getting that contract they also had to build a top-tier hotel to service the expanded building. This seems to be mired by backroom deals that I'm no so sure SOD had much involment in, but the facts are still coming out.

It seems that CenterVenture kept throwing wrenches in the works of their hotel building so they could get the contract in the hands of TrueNorth. In exchange for doing the dirty, the 16 million dollar penalty for not building the hotel was slashed to under 4 million. One of the reasons that centerventure uses to try to convince the city councillers to accept the deal is that if they try to get the full penalty out of SOD, the whole thing will be tied up in courts for years. Part of me thinks they are using the reputation of the legal battle over the stadium construction as leverage to add more umpf to this BS argument. 

The good news for taxpayers is that it seems mayor Bowman smells something shifty and is demanding a public RFP for the hotel build now. Here's hoping this issue can be fixed up, and SOD gets a fair chance to get a hotel built, or pays the appropriate penalty, not something discounted by over 10 million bucks. 

related note: the contractor (Stuart Olson Dominion), is also in a dust-up over the convention centre project. The convention centre part is fine, but as part of getting that contract they also had to build a top-tier hotel to service the expanded building. This seems to be mired by backroom deals that I'm no so sure SOD had much involment in, but the facts are still coming out.

It seems that CenterVenture kept throwing wrenches in the works of their hotel building so they could get the contract in the hands of TrueNorth. In exchange for doing the dirty, the 16 million dollar penalty for not building the hotel was slashed to under 4 million. One of the reasons that centerventure uses to try to convince the city councillers to accept the deal is that if they try to get the full penalty out of SOD, the whole thing will be tied up in courts for years. Part of me thinks they are using the reputation of the legal battle over the stadium construction as leverage to add more umpf to this BS argument.

The good news for taxpayers is that it seems mayor Bowman smells something shifty and is demanding a public RFP for the hotel build now. Here's hoping this issue can be fixed up, and SOD gets a fair chance to get a hotel built, or pays the appropriate penalty, not something discounted by over 10 million bucks.

Only problem is that Mark Chipman publicly endorsed Brian Bowman for mayor. My instincts tell me that Chipman expected something in return for that endorsement and that mayor Bowman will cave and allow TNSE to develop the land. I suspect Mr Bowman and Mr Chipman have spoken several times over the past couple weeks on this matter.

We will see what kind of backbone our mayor has this week. RFP and he's got a backbone (although TNSE could still win the bid through the RFP), or council decides to give the contract directly to TNSE means Bowman is paying back a favour to Chipman. Will be interesting...

Only problem is that Mark Chipman publicly endorsed Brian Bowman for mayor. My instincts tell me that Chipman expected something in return for that endorsement and that mayor Bowman will cave and allow TNSE to develop the land. I suspect Mr Bowman and Mr Chipman have spoken several times over the past couple weeks on this matter.

We will see what kind of backbone our mayor has this week. RFP and he's got a backbone (although TNSE could still win the bid through the RFP), or council decides to give the contract directly to TNSE means Bowman is paying back a favour to Chipman. Will be interesting...

Absolutely nonsense. This is the "dirty" aspect of politics. Someone endorses a politician and must be expecting a favour? Give me a break. There is absolutely nothing to indicate Chipman traded his endorsement for a favour.

What it seems like is CV has a deal for a hotel project there. SOD claims they have a deal too. Let them both submit bids and let council pick one. Done and done.

Supposedly SOD was having trouble finding a hotel partner and let CV know that. If CV turned around and did their own search and made a deal with TN and then SOD said hey wait we think we have a partner now, I can understand if CV was reluctant to throw away their work. Especially if SOd's partner isn't local like TN

Not that I am defending CV at all. They got way too far away from their original mandate.

Bowman will clean it up. If anything bowman will be tougher on Chipman to dissuade anyone from accusing him of a conflict. I see nothing that indicates bowman is Sammy.

There is a disproportionate amount of conjecture in your words based on nothing more than "instincts".

Kind of tabloid-like in its presentation.

There have been dozens of business dealings from the Chipman family and Megill-Stephenson, that don't reflect poorly on their practices.

I see nothing here that changes that.

Perhaps your "gut feeling" is nothing more than something Pepto Bismol can alleviate.

Absolutely nonsense. This is the "dirty" aspect of politics. Someone endorses a politician and must be expecting a favour? Give me a break. There is absolutely nothing to indicate Chipman traded his endorsement for a favour.

What it seems like is CV has a deal for a hotel project there. SOD claims they have a deal too. Let them both submit bids and let council pick one. Done and done.

Supposedly SOD was having trouble finding a hotel partner and let CV know that. If CV turned around and did their own search and made a deal with TN and then SOD said hey wait we think we have a partner now, I can understand if CV was reluctant to throw away their work. Especially if SOd's partner isn't local like TN

Not that I am defending CV at all. They got way too far away from their original mandate.

Bowman will clean it up. If anything bowman will be tougher on Chipman to dissuade anyone from accusing him of a conflict. I see nothing that indicates bowman is Sammy.

You are being very naive here. Election support from business in exchange for political favors happens ALL the time.

But I sure hope you're right about Bowman treating Chipman tougher.

You are being very naive here. Election support from business in exchange for political favors happens ALL the time.

You're accusing two people of criminal behavior in this thread.  You really think two lawyers would be dumb enough to have an almost direct and transparent quid pro quo around a municipal election endorsement and deferential treatment in the SHED?  

You're accusing two people of criminal behavior in this thread.  You really think two lawyers would be dumb enough to have an almost direct and transparent quid pro quo around a municipal election endorsement and deferential treatment in the SHED?  

is that a joke? Stuff like this happens all the time. Not saying that this is the case with Bowman (and I wasn't exactly a Bowman supporter during the campaign), but you'd have to be naive to think that these kind of deals don't happen.

Call it what you want, but it happens all the time.

Another interesting tie is that Jim Ludlow, TNSE President of Development is a former board member of CentreVenture. It's not too difficult to connect the dots. I'm sure hoping Bowman has a backbone and doesn't allow TNSE to get this contract.

"I'm sure hoping Bowman has a backbone and doesn't allow TNSE to get this contract."

What??

So, they should be disqualified because they have ties to endorsing the Mayor?

That doesn't make any sense.

Reverse politicking?

If Bowman wants to prove to Winnipegers that he's not playing the same games our previous mayor did, yes this is what he should do. TNSE probably thought it'd be smooth sailing getting Bowman to push these things through council, and proving them wrong would be a huge step for Bowman in regaining Winnipegers confidence.

If TNSE gets this contract, I'll view Bowman as no different than Katz...he can be bought.

If Bowman wants to prove to Winnipegers that he's not playing the same games our previous mayor did, yes this is what he should do. TNSE probably thought it'd be smooth sailing getting Bowman to push these things through council, and proving them wrong would be a huge step for Bowman in regaining Winnipegers confidence.

If TNSE gets this contract, I'll view Bowman as no different than Katz...he can be bought.

But your argument is tainted because you've already painted the parties involved as having back room deals in place already.

Totally not open-minded, as opposed to having an open mind and no hidden agendas.

If Bowman is the man electors believe him to be…then what is the worry?

You've already convicted him.

Does that mean you've already been bought?

But your argument is tainted because you've already painted the parties involved as having back room deals in place already.

Totally not open-minded, as opposed to having an open mind and no hidden agendas.

If Bowman is the man electors believe him to be…then what is the worry?

You've already convicted him.

Does that mean you've already been bought?

Yes I'm convinced there are back room deals going on here. If you can't see this, then you're just naive.

What I'm very interested to see is how Bowman deals with this. We haven't seen enough of him yet. What I suspect he might do is say it needs to go to RFP and then TNSE wins the contract. Politically that's the safest route. That won't really tell me anything about Bowman, but will still raise a few eyebrows.

Another interesting tie is that Jim Ludlow, TNSE President of Development is a former board member of CentreVenture. It's not too difficult to connect the dots. I'm sure hoping Bowman has a backbone and doesn't allow TNSE to get this contract.

Uh...then don't read this post

What an absurd thread.. We have MBB political pundits who literally have no credibility OR insight to this topic speaking on it as if they have done hard hitting investigative journalism..

man off-season around here gets lame.

What an absurd thread.. We have MBB political pundits who literally have no credibility OR insight to this topic speaking on it as if they have done hard hitting investigative journalism..

What makes your opinions more credible than anyone else's?

Spuds worded it wrong, sounds like he wants an argument but reading a few of those posts on page 1 here, Not sure exactly how what Spuds said is wrong. Maybe saying something like.. instead of making up bs and calling people out like the one guy is doing to Bowman and Chipman here pretty much, perhaps present some real facts to support your argument instead of just saying "gut feeling". Maybe that would have been better?? I mean really, basically saying Bowman was bought by Chipman is a pretty hardcore accusation and in my opinion, if you are making accusations like that, you better present some pretty damn good facts to back that up. Sorry but "gut feeling" isn't good enough. 

Don't really agree with the way Spuds worded that there but... reading the last few comments on page 1 here, He is pretty much bang on. I mean there is tons of speculation and made up stuff there for sure from one guy atleast and with no real facts to back up what he is saying. I mean, honestly, if you are accusing people of doing back room deals over land or whatever else really, you better have some damn good facts to back it up and quite frankly, there are no facts. Just a bunch of speculation and really guessing big time, i wanna call it blowing smoke up peoples asses cuz that's actually what a few of those posts are pretty much doing. I like the one comment too that ends page 1, something about living in fantasy worlds... guess that person does too cuz what they have written about this topic is nothing but fantasy. 

That's just what it is - speculation. No one was purporting to know exactly what is happening at city hall. There's no need for people to attack others for stating their opinions as to what's going on at city hall.

Don't really agree with the way Spuds worded that there but... reading the last few comments on page 1 here, He is pretty much bang on. I mean there is tons of speculation and made up stuff there for sure from one guy atleast and with no real facts to back up what he is saying. I mean, honestly, if you are accusing people of doing back room deals over land or whatever else really, you better have some damn good facts to back it up and quite frankly, there are no facts. Just a bunch of speculation and really guessing big time, i wanna call it blowing smoke up peoples asses cuz that's actually what a few of those posts are pretty much doing. I like the one comment too that ends page 1, something about living in fantasy worlds... guess that person does too cuz what they have written about this topic is nothing but fantasy. 

That's just what it is - speculation. No one was purporting to know exactly what is happening at city hall. There's no need for people to attack others for stating their opinions as to what's going on at city hall.

Yeah but theres a different between speculation and basically accusations like Gbills posts are doing. He's pretty much accusing chipman of buying bowman, I think that's a pretty bold statement to make with no real facts to back it up.