Do you think Jets will make any trades now?

Brandon

Yeah there are a few options for middle six pick ups.  I'd expect the Jets to go that route.  They really dont want to be in a playoff series and not be able to roll four lines.  And they cant do that right now.

Buff isnt going to move up front unless its as an injury fill in or special circumstance.  He's been a playing Norris-calibre since going back to D.  Hes going into a contract year and wants to stay on D.  He will.

That makes someone on D expendable but I'd assume it happens in the off-season.  Who knows, they might be comfortable with the high expense of the current top four D and save money by using some first year players to flesh out the forward lines and buy themselves another year or so before having to make some really difficult decisions.  They have plenty of cap space.  The issue is the "internal budget" but I believe if the team proves to be a consistent playoff contender that Chipman will spend more since the playoff money is all massive gravy in the pockets of True North.

Yeah there are a few options for middle six pick ups.  I'd expect the Jets to go that route.  They really dont want to be in a playoff series and not be able to roll four lines.  And they cant do that right now.

They don't and shouldn't give a hoot about rolling all 4 lines in the playoffs.  Roll 4 lines?  The playoffs is when the bench gets shortened.  Using 4 lines more in the regular season allows you to enter the playoffs with some of your horses a little more rested.

There are a smattering of elite teams that roll 4 lines in the playoffs.  LA, Boston, Chicago and a couple others.  The rest cut the minutes back.  Even a team perceived as the cream of the crop like St. Louis shaves several minutes off of Ryan Reave's average ice time.

Right now the Jets aren't at the point where rolling 3 lines in the playoffs is a total green light.  Hallischuk getting 20 minutes of ice time in the playoffs?  Now hold on a second there.

Yes, a trade will help in this regard, but the amount of help from this trade will sorely disappoint you based on the expectations you're giving.  If everything goes right in terms of drafting and player development, it's possible we could be knocking on the door of that very exclusive club in 2 years time, but even that's optimistic to the point of perhaps being unrealistic.  Those dynastic teams are a decade in the making.  Some longer.  Why would that same process be half as long for us?

Funny the four line teams that you mentioned have been the last 5 cup winners

It's definitely not a coincidence.  And in a healthier year I would have included Pittsburgh.

The jets don't need to roll four lines in the playoffs. Only top teams that compete for championships roll four lines.

What.

Huh

Lol

I get you're a fan and prone to letting emotion dictate your reactions to everything, but it's pretty black and white - these teams have more top to bottom talent, which is why they can trust their 4th line in the playoffs.  They are in the extreme minority.

Do the Jets have a potential Jared Stoll or Mike Richards sitting around to center their 4th line?

So yes, what huh lol - talent.  It actually does matter.  And whatever we might get in return for Pardy or Postma isn't going to be nearly enough to put us in that elite group.

Exactly.  hence the point that they would want to bolster their forward depth to...oh I dont know, be able to roll four lines in the playoffs.

I think you're slightly missing the point... adding a guy like Vermette is not suddenly gonna make our bottom 6 so good that we can roll 4 lines.... The LA example was perfect.... they're 4 centers last year were Kopitar, Carter, Stoll, Richards... while we currently have Sheifele, Little, Lowry, Slater... not exactly an even comparison....do you really want Peluso or Thorburn on the ice (ever) in the playoffs??

Postma and a pick would get us a vermette type - Halischuk bumps peluso - 3 great lines and a decent 4 th

I don't know who all falls into the category of a "Vermette type", but Postma and a pick does not get us Vermette.  Unless it's a high pick, in which case it's probably not a great idea.

I've been fascinated with Peluso's play over the last few weeks.  He's trying so hard to be defensively sound out there.  He doesn't always succeed, but boy is he trying, and he's much faster than I would expect from a 4th line slugger.  It's got to be awesome having a guy like that in your locker room.

Exactly.  hence the point that they would want to bolster their forward depth to...oh I dont know, be able to roll four lines in the playoffs.

His point is that no trade we're in a position to make currently does that.

You dont think the Jets are in any position to make any trade that increases mid-six depth?  I think that's an odd statement to make.  Any team can make a trade to improve at any position.  The Jets have prospects and picks and cap space and more defence then they can dress.  They are currently at max players with one on IR (and when he's back they will have to IR someone else or waive someone to make room).  They are very much in a position to make a trade to help the team. 

And I am *not* saying they can or should trade a top prospect, high pick or top player.  Im saying they *can* make trades.  And Im suggesting that it is likely they'd bring in some help in the middle six.

Postma and a pick would get us a vermette type - Halischuk bumps peluso - 3 great lines and a decent 4 th

I don't know who all falls into the category of a "Vermette type", but Postma and a pick does not get us Vermette.  Unless it's a high pick, in which case it's probably not a great idea.

I've been fascinated with Peluso's play over the last few weeks.  He's trying so hard to be defensively sound out there.  He doesn't always succeed, but boy is he trying, and he's much faster than I would expect from a 4th line slugger.  It's got to be awesome having a guy like that in your locker room.

Im not sure I agree with that.

Vermette was originally traded for Curtis McElhinney, a 2nd round pick and a conditional 5th round pick.  Hardly a blockbuster.  He is also 32 years old and a UFA.  To be honest I'd hate to see Postma traded for Vermette though Postma is expendable.  I think in the off-season we can get more for him.  Vermette is the type of guy the Jets could trade for and in fact is an ideal player for the Jets since he is a UFA.

I know they'd love to have Mike Richards and could afford it plus the Kings would be happy to be rid of him.  But his term is far too much at his price.  But if the Kings took back half his salary I bet we'd do it.

I think you're slightly missing the point... adding a guy like Vermette is not suddenly gonna make our bottom 6 so good that we can roll 4 lines.... The LA example was perfect.... they're 4 centers last year were Kopitar, Carter, Stoll, Richards... while we currently have Sheifele, Little, Lowry, Slater... not exactly an even comparison....do you really want Peluso or Thorburn on the ice (ever) in the playoffs??

Im certainly not saying that.  But there is a trickle down effect.  We're not going to suddenly have the Kings' fourth line.  But if we can make deals that end up giving us a fourth line of Halischuck-Slater-Peluso or something to that effect, it's better then needing Thorburn on the 3rd line.  Realistically, Lowry is likely pencilled in as our 4th line centre.  If we could make a couple of moves and Perrault moves back to 3rd line centre, shoving everyone back down, it would help.

There was one game where they were basically shuffling Lowry's line mates in and out to bolster the 4th line without complete committing to it.

Postma is an nhl ready prospect - he has trade value - I think you're overestimating a 32 year old rental

No, just that there will be other teams willing to offer much more than we should, so we won't get him.

The interesting thing for the Jets is that Postma and Pardy represent the same "problem" and yet their situations should be handled quite differently.  The optimum market for Postma is a team that is totally out of the playoffs and would like to land prospects.  Pardy on the other hand, the most value we will get for him is to a cup contender, especially if there is one with some injury problem at their back end.  He's big, has experience at this level, can easily slide into a 5-6 pairing and eat up 20 minutes of icetime, and has demonstrated a decent level of trustworthiness so far this season.

If we didn't have so many bodies on the blue line, keeping Pardy for our potential playoff run would be a pretty good idea, but the numbers right now make that next to impossible.  The logic says that we should get more for Postma as he's young and has offensive upside, but I suspect we can get more for Pardy - there will be several teams looking to add exactly that type of player for their stretch/playoff run.

Postma is an nhl ready prospect - he has trade value - I think you're overestimating a 32 year old rental

No, just that there will be other teams willing to offer much more than we should, so we won't get him.

The interesting thing for the Jets is that Postma and Pardy represent the same "problem" and yet their situations should be handled quite differently.  The optimum market for Postma is a team that is totally out of the playoffs and would like to land prospects.  Pardy on the other hand, the most value we will get for him is to a cup contender, especially if there is one with some injury problem at their back end.  He's big, has experience at this level, can easily slide into a 5-6 pairing and eat up 20 minutes of icetime, and has demonstrated a decent level of trustworthiness so far this season.

If we didn't have so many bodies on the blue line, keeping Pardy for our potential playoff run would be a pretty good idea, but the numbers right now make that next to impossible.  The logic says that we should get more for Postma as he's young and has offensive upside, but I suspect we can get more for Pardy - there will be several teams looking to add exactly that type of player for their stretch/playoff run.

Postma has far more value in either scenario.  He's been fairly steady but he also has something every team wants - he's a young puck mover with offensive upside.

With Enstrom, Bogo, Buff, Trouba, Chiarot and Stuart on the back end, we have our "extra" guy in Harrison and one of Pardy or Postma.  I suspect they dont trade either and end up waiving Pardy to the Rock (or trading him for a low draft pick).

IMO the bidding on Vermette will be high. Postma and "a pick" could get us almost any of the available guys, but like you say, what pick do you want to give? IMO Vermette will take more to get than we're willing to offer.

Love Peluso. Busts his ass on every shift. He skates well, is a beast on the forecheck, and actually has decent hands. His problem is hockey sense. I agree 100% he'd be a great teammate to have.

Postma has far more value in either scenario.  He's been fairly steady but he also has something every team wants - he's a young puck mover with offensive upside.

Postma has far more potential.

If I'm a coach making a serious run at the cup I'm not making a trade for potential, I'm looking for a player I can trust with 12 to 15 minutes of ice time in game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.  And right now Pardy is light years ahead of Postma in that regard.  I'm adding a 6th/7th defenceman who's main job requirement is to not screw up in our end.

Game 7 in the cup final?  I'm not letting Postma out on the ice at this point in his career.  I'd have thrown his helmet out the bus window on the drive from the hotel to the rink.

Yeah we'd be looking to trade with teams like Buffalo,Arizona, Edmonton,Carolina even. 

Pardy has probably very little value, he can  be waived to St Johns and i really don't think anyone would pick him up. He's not that good actually. Better players have been put on waivers and have cleared this season.

Postma? has some value to those bottom feeding teams looking to rebuild or whatever you wanna call it, has potential but with the D group we have, is at best a #6 d man.. Coaches obviously have more faith in the other guys as Postma has been a healthy scratch for some time now. Postma by himself might not get you much butt you add a guy like Burmistrovs rights or a prospect not named well, not any of the "higher ranked prospects' and you might be able to get a pretty solid 3rd line winger. It's apparent that Halischuk isn't good enough so i think you will see them trying hard to upgrade that spot. No superstars or anything, just a guy who can play with Lowry and Kane, maybe a rental even or a guy with not much term remaining and definitely not a guy with lots of salary coming  back. 

Think guys like Kassian, Bergenheim, Condra,Tlusty, Stafford maybe.. guys like that. We aren't gonna go out and make a big splash that's for sure.

Postma,Burmi,Galliardi,Halischuk, prospects not ranked high, these are the guys that we'd be looking to move. I don't see us going after any high priced top 6 guys at all, i'm thinking they try to upgrade that third line.. Kane,Lowry and the upgrade would give us 3 solid lines going in to the playoffs and wouldn't mess with the team chemistry that they obviously have going on right now.

Ladd,Little,Wheeler

Perreault,Scheif,Frolik

Kane,Lowry, ???

4th line? i dunno what you do there exactly, you know what you do actually, you just play them a few minutes a game like you have been doing all season and hope for the best really. No teams have 4 dominating lines, it just doesn't work like that these days.