Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

Yep. A player is only out to lunch if there is truly no one who will pay him that money. Ottawa offering Dressler 250k last year kind of dispels that notion. Look for both Dressler and SJ to be in the 200k range this offseason to the teams that sign them.

Holy smokes, these salaries are getting crazy! I don't even think we should bother with Heenan... I'd go straight for Holmes, and maybe a guy like Wojt if he's healthy and we want a second guy...

If Hall is going to be our DC, I wonder if we'll be interested in T. Brack.....

Would target bear woods over tbrack

Love to see him, hickman, holmes and donnyo here... But that's almost 800k right there

I'm not sure about that. Donny O shouldn't be able to command too much money. He missed most of last year and he was never dominant prior to that. Hickman has one good CFL season to his name, and Bear Woods potentially has two other starting calibre mlbs to contend with that will bring his value down.

My guess is their cumulative total would be closer to $600k. IMO Holmes is the only one of that group that should approach $200k.

Would target bear woods over tbrack

Love to see him, hickman, holmes and donnyo here... But that's almost 800k right there

I'm not sure about that. Donny O shouldn't be able to command too much money. He missed most of last year and he was never dominant prior to that. Hickman has one good CFL season to his name, and Bear Woods potentially has two other starting calibre mlbs to contend with that will bring his value down.

My guess is their cumulative total would be closer to $600k. IMO Holmes is the only one of that group that should approach $200k.

Can't say I disagree with the list of players though.  Would be great to see those 4 in Blue and Gold.

If a guy like morley gets 120-150, holmes will max out over 200...

DonnyO should ge 150 just for his passport

this is hickman's last chance to cash in - if chick is 200k, hickman could come close

That would be a stretch for someone like him. His stock value is low-moderate right now, passport or not.  He'd be a rotational player on most d-lines.  

Given the limited supply of Nationals dollars are probably best spent on quality National players.....the 200k range for an international is ridiculous...getting your scouting g system in order and go find Internationals. Like any business it is supply and demand. Limited supply of Nationals and high demand.

What's Eddie Steele's status? He's a manitoban and I know he wants to play back here if given the chance. He had a decent year in edm last year....wouldn't mind bringing him in.

Well he is not a free agent.  Not sure when he is scheduled to be, but you'd have to think Edmonton will want to extend him if they can.

As much as I love seeing Toronto lose... the last thing I wanna see is them fall so far they cease to exist... that sale needs to happen ASAP... get that team some stability...

Agreed. The CFL needs a strong Toronto franchise. Hopefully get them out of the Dome and onto to BMO field. Maybe Torontoians will now realize the city isn't NFL material after the Bills cancelled their Toronto dates, and actually embrace their CFL team.

Toronto is all about trendy ... A NY or California wannabe ... they have a small but dedicated fan base but good luck adding to that ... BMO field would make things more intimate and affordable (its very, very easy to spend $200 on a CFL outing: downtown and the SkyDome is major expensive)... the CFL will never satisfy the trendy mindset and that's why its been a nightmare for traditional marketing ... they need to develop some kind of new niche/specialty fan identity (non trendy types) to add to the existing fan base ... that means marketing has to change their methods and quit being so shallow ... they need a brand that fits and has the right distinctness ... "bigger & better" won't work in Toronto & "just as good" certainly won't ... they need to find that portion of the population that would be proud of our long time Canadian heritage that care more about football than keeping up with (not the Jones but) NY & LA

They will find their target market inhabiting the suburbs, the Argos need to give up on the idea of playing downtown and make it easier and more affordable for people in the surrounding suburban communities with kids, a dog and a yard to attend games.

They will find their target market inhabiting the suburbs, the Argos need to give up on the idea of playing downtown and make it easier and more affordable for people in the surrounding suburban communities with kids, a dog and a yard to attend games.

Precisely.  People with kids can't be getting home at 1:00 A.M., which is pretty much what happens after Argo games.